Apartment Wifi Inaccessible

Bendel

n00b
I just recently moved in to a new apartment to find out that the wifi doesn't consistently reach my room (it would have been great if they'd mentioned that before I moved in).

My 6 year old laptop will connect with 2/5 bars. My desktop, with a better wireless card and antenna, will see the router but by the time I go to connect it's lost. I'd also like to try to connect my cell phone but I haven't tried to see if it will reach yet. Eventually I'll have an xbox I'd like to connect too.

My options and questions:

1. Powerline adapter would work to connect my desktop, but then my other devices are screwed.

2. Additional router in my room. Not sure how this works. Do I just hook it into the cable line and operate on a different frequency? How involved is this?

3. Range extender. Will this simply solve my problem?

4. Access point. Do these extend the range and allow more devices? I'm worried the ancient router wont have enough ports.

What would be the best option for me?

If you don't need to access to any of the other devices on the network, you could use a combination powerline kit and your own router. Connect the WAN port on your router to the powerline kit to connect it to the main router.

I hadn't thought of that. I'm not looking to link any outside devices, so that may work well.

Question on that: Can I have my own router security? I'd rather not share the hardware which I'll be spending all of my money on.

Can you be more specific about the hardware layout? You say the wifi doesn't reach your room. Where is the wifi signal originating from?

Sure. I'm on the 3rd floor. The router is on the 1st floor. I don't think the floors are too thick, but there are high ceilings. I am directly above the router which helps the situation. Other people on the 3rd floor likely can't even see the router on the network list.

Another option may be to get a better router. I haven't looked up the model that is existing, but it looks outdated.

So, do you have physical access to the router? If it's more than a couple years old, I'd replace it anyway with something more powerful (signal wise). If you don't have access to it, you might want to just setup a repeater or something.

Yes, the router is sitting on the living room floor so I have full access to it.

If WiFi was used as a selling point for tenants, then it is the landlord's responsibility to guarantee availability.

Given that others will be using the service as well, I'd be hesitant to touch before discussing with Land lord.

Nate: The wifi is contracted by the tenants - landlord has no involvement.

Since you indicated powerline works for you, the easiest way is to run powerline+your own router.

[Current Internet Router] -> [Powerline adaptor] -------( power wires in wall)-------[Powerline adaptor] -> [Your own Router]

From there you'd be able to run ethernet to your desktop and also have your own wifi access point on the third floor.

The other added benefits of your own router are that you will be somewhat insulated from your roommates ass-hattery and you won't have to share wireless bandwidth. If one of you roommates downloads a virus-laden copy of the fappening photos, having a firewall between you and them is a good thing. Also, most residential wireless routers are really only meant to handle a hand full of connections. In a setting like yours, that number is likely exceeded, which could also be part of the problem you are having accessing it.

Back