Apache vs Apache 2.0? Which should I install

limecat

Weaksauce
Joined
Jul 15, 2004
Messages
101
I have a small Debian box that I'm going to set up as a webserver. It won't have a major load, just some pictures and a blog. Which version of Apache should I use? I couldn't really find any explanation of the differences between the two.
 
limecat said:
I have a small Debian box that I'm going to set up as a webserver. It won't have a major load, just some pictures and a blog. Which version of Apache should I use? I couldn't really find any explanation of the differences between the two.

There are a lot of differences. I personally find Apache2 easier to configure on Debian. But if you're just looking for something simple, I'd recommend http://lighttpd.net. It's got a small footprint, and is pretty darn easy to configure.
 
Apache2 seems easier to install but I ran into some compatibility issues with the latest mySQL and PHP stuff. So for now I'm running the older Apache.
 
IIRC Apache2 was released under a new license that was more "strict" than the license Apache1 was released under. As a result some groups are keeping Apache1 around since not everybody wants to be locked into the new license. I think one of the major code differences is the threading model, but don't quote me on that. I've run PHP 4 and 5 with Apache2, so it should be fine for you.
 
I've found apache a bit easier to deal with but apache 2 to be faster and more powerfull
 
Apache 1.x is generally considered to be more suitable for mission-critical systems, especially those employing various extensions, such as PHP. This all due to Apache 2 being still relatively new.
 
I decided to upgrade to apache 2 and I didnt really see a difference, my PHP and Perl was flaky. When i tried installing MySQL and running scripts, i had to breakdown and go back to 1.3.x bc of the problems i kept having. I also had to use an older version of MySQL, the newest version allowed me to view the default password bug first hand. I always go with the most stable version ..... you don't want to do something for 6 months, then realize a problem that could have been cured from the beginning.

I have had MUCH better luck going with apache 1.3 and <v5 MySQL, just my .02
 
I still use Apache 1.3 and while I find it is a bit harder to configure, it is still better than Apache 2 just because PHP and mySQL worked fairly easy. I played with PHP and Apache 2 for a few hours and couldn't get it working. Oh well, maybe I am just unwelcome to change. :p
 
I run apache 1.x with php 5 and MySQL 4.1

PHP 4 is still the true stable release that most people should us. I simply wanted to of the new functions in 5. Also mission criticals should run 4.0.x I run 4.1 mainly due to some caching that I wanted for my bigger DB's while I run 4.0.x on the DB box that is serving iamnotageek.com
 
Back
Top