Apache server question

biru32

Limp Gawd
I'm running an Apache server on a IBM pc with XP pro OS. The server has been running fine for several months now, but suddenly it's no longer serving. I've restarted the server several times and rebooted the computer several times. I'm running zone alarm and and norton AV corp edition. Any ideas what's happening? I pinged the server, but no luck.

The server is behind a router also. Maybe someone could try to ping the server and let me know if you have any luck. 66.57.98.107 is the IP.

thanks!

I can ping it.. Port scan the ip and see if 80 is open. If it is then you need to check your access logs to see what's going on.

No good, looks like firewall
C:\Documents and Settings\stephen>telnet 66.57.xxx.yyy 80
Connecting To 66.57.xxx.yyy...Could not open connection to the host, on port 80:
Connect failed
(IP masked in case you edit out later)

//edit: incidentally, telnet is much simpler than port scanning when you're checking individual ports, particularly if you know syntax. For instance, you can do an HTTP GET via telnet to see if the server is really running once you connect.

UnderLoK said:
I can ping it.. Port scan the ip and see if 80 is open. If it is then you need to check your access logs to see what's going on.

If you can ping it then it must be something here at work that's causing the problem. I'm behind a firewall. It's strange that I could access it before, but not now????

Thanks.

lomn75 said:
No good, looks like firewall
(IP masked in case you edit out later)

//edit: incidentally, telnet is much simpler than port scanning when you're checking individual ports, particularly if you know syntax. For instance, you can do an HTTP GET via telnet to see if the server is really running once you connect.

That's strange. You can't ping, someone else can. Hmmmm? I'm confused.

Thanks.

biru32 said:
I'm running an Apache server on a IBM pc with XP pro OS. The server has been running fine for several months now, but suddenly it's no longer serving. I've restarted the server several times and rebooted the computer several times. I'm running zone alarm and and norton AV corp edition. Any ideas what's happening? I pinged the server, but no luck.

The server is behind a router also. Maybe someone could try to ping the server and let me know if you have any luck. 66.57.98.107 is the IP.

thanks!

Start with the basics
On the server:
1) Can you ping localhost? (127.0.0.1) - confirm that the IP stack is working
2) Can you view the website?

From another machine inside the firewall:
1) Can you ping the server?

Repeat the above from outside the firewall (basically what you had everyone else do).

Go through the log files and see what has been happening, also double check your config files against your backups (you do have backups don't you?).

EDIT: And since your ISP is RoadRunner (....107.triad.rr.com) double check to see if they are blocking port 80.

biru32 said:
That's strange. You can't ping, someone else can. Hmmmm? I'm confused.

Thanks.
No, I can ping, but that just confirms that the IP exists. Ping does not operate on Port 80. (although that's slightly misleading... I can confirm that *something* is at that IP, rather than a dud address that's not responding to anything)

I tested port 80, which is closed to traffic, thus almost certainly a firewall issue.

//edit: just FYI, here's what a can't-ping would look like in telnet
C:\Documents and Settings\stephen>telnet 10.1.2.3 80
Connecting To 10.1.2.3...Could not open connection to the host, on port 80:
Connect failed

Here's what I'm getting. I'm at work right now, my server is at home, FYI.

Pinging 66.57.98.107 with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 66.57.98.107:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

Malk-a-mite said:
Start with the basics
On the server:
1) Can you ping localhost? (127.0.0.1) - confirm that the IP stack is working

1) Can you ping the server?

Repeat the above from outside the firewall (basically what you had everyone else do).

Go through the log files and see what has been happening, also double check your config files against your backups (you do have backups don't you?).

EDIT: And since your ISP is RoadRunner (....107.triad.rr.com) double check to see if they are blocking port 80.

Answers:

On the server:
1)I'll have to check when I get home today
2)Same answer as number 1

1)Yes. I pinged it last night and it worked.
2)Yes

Could RoadRunner be blocking port 80 now? Like I said, it worked fine for several months, now it's not working.

Thanks.

possible. It seems like more and more cable providers are blocking ports.

I went home last night and did some trouble shooting. I checked my router settings and checked my server. I could ping the server from the server, but not from my other computer inside the firewall.

I simply uninstalled Apache and loaded the latest version and everything seems to work fine now. Does any of this make sense? Could the older version, which was only 1 version behind the new one, have caused this problem once outdated?

Thanks for everyones help!

It just sounds like it stopped responding to port 80 requests really.

Starting nmap 3.48 ( http://www.insecure.org/nmap/ ) at 2004-09-23 13:52 MDT
Host gso57-98-107.triad.rr.com (xx.xx.xx.xxx) appears to be up ... good.
Initiating SYN Stealth Scan against xxxxx-xx-xxx.xxxxx.xx.xxx (xx.xx.xx.xxx) at 13:52
The SYN Stealth Scan took 93 seconds to scan 1657 ports.
Interesting ports on gso57-98-107.triad.rr.com (xx.xx.xx.xxx):
(The 1656 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: filtered)
PORT STATE SERVICE
113/tcp closed auth

Nmap run completed -- 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 93.873 seconds

Well...at least your firwall knows what a stealth port scan is. :D

Back