AP and 3 computers...simple

Sparkyy

[H]ard|Gawd
I have been searching high and low and this forum and cannot find the post, so I am going to ask again. Sorry! :(

Basically, I have 3 desktops that I want to have on the internet, but I need a wireless access point to do this, are there routers that, without flashing, can act as wireless bridges, so when I move out can go back to being a router on the internet.

I have looked at wireless AP but they mostly have just one plug for the LAN and I need atleast 3 jacks.

Anything is appreciated and thanks for looking! :)

do your three computers have wireless cards already? If so, something like this router will do what you need. If they only have regular nics you might look into getting something like this , that [H]Console reviewed and liked. in the second case, you could get a broadband router that didn't have a wap in it if you didn't think you'd need regular wifi after this. Something like this one. If this is still off base, then you'll need to clarify your situation a bit more for us. Another thing you could do is use the 1st router I linked, and get some USB WiFi adapters for your machines now, and then just plug them into the hardlines later. Each scenario has it's pro's and con's - you'll likely have something extra at the end no matter which way you go.

Well I am moving into an apt where I am allowed to use the landlords internet, and they have wireless access, most likely the have wpa or wep or *gulp* no secure at all! :eek:

The router will be well within the distance of being accessable but with no cables running in the house, I am forced to go wireless and being I have 3 desktops, I don't really want to spend money for wireless nic's in all 3 of them.

Bascially just looking for a AP that has 4 ports to hook up computers, be nice if it could be a router so when I move out, I can just change the config to use it as a normal router instead of a AP.

Sparkyy said:
Well I am moving into an apt where I am allowed to use the landlords internet, and they have wireless access, most likely the have wpa or wep or *gulp* no secure at all! :eek:

The router will be well within the distance of being accessable but with no cables running in the house, I am forced to go wireless and being I have 3 desktops, I don't really want to spend money for wireless nic's in all 3 of them.

Bascially just looking for a AP that has 4 ports to hook up computers, be nice if it could be a router so when I move out, I can just change the config to use it as a normal router instead of a AP.
Go read this article. It's a little old, but will explain what you're trying to do and give you some pointers on where to start looking for the products you're looking for.

Back