AP-14 or AP-15?

hardennoob

n00b
I’m looking for a set of quiet 120mm fans for my case and cpu cooler. I’ve boiled the fans down to the Gentle Typhoon AP-15 or the AP-14. How are the noise comparisons between the two? I have the 650D fan controller but I don’t want to use it after reading stories how the fan controller fries, so I will leave the fans running at their stock rpm. I don’t think I’m really that sensitive to noise since I’ve been using the Yate Loons + Scythe S-Flex fans for 5 years, but comparing the old fans to the stock Corsair fans, my new build is really loud.

I am particularly looking for a fan that can exhaust a good amount of air without the added noise, and a good fan to attach to the heatsink. I was thinking maybe using the AP-15 for the heatsink and AP-14 for the exhaust fans, but I’m not entire sure if the AP-14 will do a good job exhausting the hot air.

Also, suggestions on a quiet 200mm fan would also be nice. Seems like majority of the users like the Coolermaster series.

The GT line is a great choice for the HS fan, I might be able to live with a AP-14 at full speed, but I would not want to, I have the AP-14 at about 1k RPM and its good for me. They are really well made and should last a long time, and if you have the cash for it sure, get them for the whole case, however, there are fans that can match or beat the GT in a almost free air environment like a case, and often for much cheaper. I myself like the TY-140 as a case fan, it's larger but will mount to 120mm fan holes if you have enough room.

The GT line is a great choice for the HS fan, I might be able to live with a AP-14 at full speed, but I would not want to, I have the AP-14 at about 1k RPM and its good for me. They are really well made and should last a long time, and if you have the cash for it sure, get them for the whole case, however, there are fans that can match or beat the GT in a almost free air environment like a case, and often for much cheaper. I myself like the TY-140 as a case fan, it's larger but will mount to 120mm fan holes if you have enough room.

Yeah, I am planning to replace all the 120mm fans with the Gentle Typhoons, but I was not sure which ones I should switch to, the 14 or the 15’s.

What speed are the fans you are using now? And what are your temps or goals? Like I said, the GT is great for the HS, but I would do something like the TY-140 for the rest of the case if you have room. More CFM and cheaper price.

What speed are the fans you are using now? And what are your temps or goals? Like I said, the GT is great for the HS, but I would do something like the TY-140 for the rest of the case if you have room. More CFM and cheaper price.

I'm not sure what the speed of the fans are right now. I think they're like 2000rpm, its the stock 120mm fans from the 650D chasis.

Last time I checked, my ambient temp was around 33 degrees Celsius with a max temp of 63 degrees. I will do research on the TY-104. My goal is to look for something that runs more quiet than the stock Corsair fans and my old Yate Loons without sacrificing performance. Thanks~

I'm not sure what the speed of the fans are right now. I think they're like 2000rpm, its the stock 120mm fans from the 650D chasis.

Last time I checked, my ambient temp was around 33 degrees Celsius with a max temp of 63 degrees. I will do research on the TY-104. My goal is to look for something that runs more quiet than the stock Corsair fans and my old Yate Loons without sacrificing performance. Thanks~

I would go for the AP-14, if you use a controller, the AP-15. The TY-140 is better as a case fan because even though it mounts to a 120mm fan hole, the fan size it self is that of a 140mm, so you have more blade area and as such move more air with less noise. Just make sure they will fit where you want to mount them.

I would go for the AP-14, if you use a controller, the AP-15. The TY-140 is better as a case fan because even though it mounts to a 120mm fan hole, the fan size it self is that of a 140mm, so you have more blade area and as such move more air with less noise. Just make sure they will fit where you want to mount them.

Well, one thing I don’t like about researching is that I get more information than I need. I was looking into the TY-140, X-Silent, and the Slip Stream, lol.

But after reading more about fans, I have decided that I should not get 6 AP-14/AP-15.
Instead, I will buy 2 AP-15 for a push/pull configuration on the heat sink and buy 3 TY-140 since the fans also have 120mm holes. I will use 2 TY-140 on the 140mm top exhaust on the top of the case and 1 on the 120mm rear exhaust of the case. If the fan does not happen to work on the 120mm rear exhaust, I will just zip tie the fan on top of my secondary hd cage as an intake fan for the gpu.

In the end, I saved money, haha. Thank you again BlueFireIce!

The TY-140 has 120mm fan mounting, so it will mount to the rear, however it does not have 140mm mount holes, even though its a 140mm fan. You can make it work, but the mount holes you see in the photos are for 120mm fan holes.

The TY-140 has 120mm fan mounting, so it will mount to the rear, however it does not have 140mm mount holes, even though its a 140mm fan. You can make it work, but the mount holes you see in the photos are for 120mm fan holes.

Yeah, I just noticed that but I think the 650D top exhaust design accommodates 120, 140, and 200mm. If not, then I will find a way to make them work.

I believe it does as well. Sadly there are not any "good" 200mm+ fans out there yet, not enough cases have them for the aftermarkets to get into the mix, we have just started to get some half way good 140mm fans, maybe one choice in 180mm and only OEM case fans for 200mm+ it seems.

You cannot mount two ty-140 on the top of a 650d without the use of a 120 to 140mm fan adaptor. You also cannot mount a ty-140 on the back of the 650d either. Its too big.

quick update. i tried installing the ap-15 on my venomous x heatsink and the holes do not line up with the fan clips.

the way the ap-15 designed the fan frame has a solid piece of plastic molded across each end so unless i dremel the plastic pilars off, i cant use the fans.

quick update. i tried installing the ap-15 on my venomous x heatsink and the holes do not line up with the fan clips.

the way the ap-15 designed the fan frame has a solid piece of plastic molded across each end so unless i dremel the plastic pilars off, i cant use the fans.

The fan clips will work, you have to turn the fan a given way for the "slots" in the holes to line up, I believe on my TURE that makes the fan cable at the top right side, the clips will then fit into the slots.

i will try installing the fans again. i remember there was no clearance after trying to figure out a way to install it.

Ok, you were right bluefireice. The ap-15 works with the fan clips. I tried mounting the fan where the wires are fed towards the motherboard tray but the plastic pillars get in the way. I never bothered to rotate the fan again so I thought the fans weren’t compatible with the clips. I had to rotate the fan so the fan clips are fed in the pillar openings, but now the fan wires are fed down towards the gpu.

Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised how much air the ap-15 pushed, but its almost as loud as my scythe s-flex. I did also buy some 140mm noiseblocker pk-2 and x-silent and they are amazingly quiet. I was amazed how quiet they are. Right now im running 2 noiseblocker pk-2’s as an exhaust and an x-silent as in intake. I can hear the single ap-15 running louder than the other fans, so im investing in a fan controller now.

Ok, you were right bluefireice. The ap-15 works with the fan clips. I tried mounting the fan where the wires are fed towards the motherboard tray but the plastic pillars get in the way. I never bothered to rotate the fan again so I thought the fans weren’t compatible with the clips. I had to rotate the fan so the fan clips are fed in the pillar openings, but now the fan wires are fed down towards the gpu.

Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised how much air the ap-15 pushed, but its almost as loud as my scythe s-flex. I did also buy some 140mm noiseblocker pk-2 and x-silent and they are amazingly quiet. I was amazed how quiet they are. Right now im running 2 noiseblocker pk-2’s as an exhaust and an x-silent as in intake. I can hear the single ap-15 running louder than the other fans, so im investing in a fan controller now.

That's why I always suggest the AP-14 ;)

I know some people are fine with a 1800rpm+ fan, but I am not, I find the AP-14 more than enough airflow for just about anything.

Back