AOL’s Project Phoenix

John_Keck

Limp Gawd
AOL is trying to raise their once-glorious email from the ashes with Project Phoenix. The main aspects of the redesign are speed and social integration.

"We think there's an opportunity to redefine what email is for the consumer," he told Fortune last week during a walkthrough. "I do think there's [been] very little innovation in the email space. Since Gmail, really, nobody has done anything that made you think, 'Oh, that's interesting.'"

In my online course I'm taking at college, we have a forum we post on and it shows our email address. There's a *surprising* number of aol.com email addresses used.

People only have an AOL email account because they basically gave you one when you singled up for an AIM account.

I'll only sign up if they give me another 100 year supply worth of 3.5" floppy disks.

The name AOL is a hindrance at this point: if they really cared to reinvent themselves they'd change their name. AOL got big by using a carpet bombing strategy, by inundating everywhere with their blasted discs, by the hundreds of millions to billions and it's also a part of why only the computer illiterate still use them.

AOL represents the past and an attempt to sanitize and censor the internet that the well-informed (i.e. the influencers) abhor or at best don't care either way about. How can you be passionate about AOL?

cool, at least ill still be able to know who's stupid just by looking at their email address.

to be fair though, engadget is awesome and thats an aol property.

You guys, people still use AOL. I was told its FREE now though, unless you are a 56k junky and want to pay $20+ for their horrible, HORRIBLE service.

I know one person whom "loves" AOL and will not use IE or Firefox because of the big, clunky GUI AOL has always used. They use computers 5+ hours a day too, daily.

Incredible.

I went to send a picture and the AOL email "page" does not even have zoom, resize, or ANYTHING. I sent a big picture to them and it took forever for them to figure out how to resize it and all. AOL is just PATHETICALLY out of touch... always has been.

Wake up AOL, just give up..... seriously.

You guys, people still use AOL. I was told its FREE now though, unless you are a 56k junky and want to pay $20+ for their horrible, HORRIBLE service.

I know one person whom "loves" AOL and will not use IE or Firefox because of the big, clunky GUI AOL has always used. They use computers 5+ hours a day too, daily.

Incredible.

I went to send a picture and the AOL email "page" does not even have zoom, resize, or ANYTHING. I sent a big picture to them and it took forever for them to figure out how to resize it and all. AOL is just PATHETICALLY out of touch... always has been.

Wake up AOL, just give up..... seriously.

We have someone at work like this.. its rather sad.

from article said:
"I do think there's [been] very little innovation in the email space. Since Gmail, really, nobody has done anything that made you think, 'Oh, that's interesting.'"

Someone needs to show them Hotmail's Office Web 2010 integration and then try and convince me why it's not interesting.

If it's gmail with folders I might be interested.

I don't care if it's @whateverthefudge.com as long as it's good free email.

Back