AOL messing up my conection. Router / Cable

1st.Proplayer

Limp Gawd
Can someone help me.

I just got AOL. What happens is when I quit AOL (even if i dont sign in) just by opening and closing AOL

MY internet stops working explorer, msn, icq and even AOL doesnt detect my internet anymore.

When I restart the computer it comes back normally.

Can it be a router setting?

What could be happening?

I have a cable set up with a linksys router and terayon cable modem.

Thanks.

If you have AOL for broadband, Welcome to the AOL experience. (Its a 'feature')

If not, that is the strangest problem I have ever heard of.

Yep. I believe AOL Broadband only activates the internet connection when youre signed on using their software

If aol isn't your isp make sure Use aol securit isnt enableed in your router settings.

No I do not use AOL for broadband. I have Cable with another company.

I will try to update my routers firmware and all that.

I was thinking that this problems were caused by all the junk AOL puts on my pc.

Lets see what happens.

Thanks for your help

1st.Proplayer said:
No I do not use AOL for broadband. I have Cable with another company.

Ditch the AOL, and watch the problems disappear
1st.Proplayer said:
I will try to update my routers firmware and all that.
I highly doubt it is a router problem, as the problem is created by performing a specific action on your computer.
1st.Proplayer said:
I was thinking that this problems were caused by all the junk AOL puts on my pc.
Thats exactly it. AOL is the most notorious bloatware in existence, and in addition to bogging down every machine it touches, it also has a bad habit of replacing programs and settings on the computer. You should opt for internet that leaves its hands off your computer, eg. cable + router + firefox.

Well i updated the routers firmware and I think it's now ok.
I also uninstalled that crappy magic hat that AOL placed on the PC
I think now its ok.
I hate AOL and I do not have aol on my but my PC mother thinks aol is the best cause all her friends which are complete noobs use it. So let her waste 25 bucks a month.

Thanks for the help guys I will post if anything abnormal happens again.

1st.Proplayer said:
Well i updated the routers firmware and I think it's now ok.
I also uninstalled that crappy magic hat that AOL placed on the PC
I think now its ok.
I hate AOL and I do not have aol on my but my PC mother thinks aol is the best cause all her friends which are complete noobs use it. So let her waste 25 bucks a month.

Thanks for the help guys I will post if anything abnormal happens again.
Do what I do- set the homepage to www.aol.com

If they are clueless enough to use AOL to begin with, they should not notice the difference. I've done this with plenty of people, and only one has complained.

It has to do with Port Magic. It's a hassle. The first thing after you install AOL 9.0 Optimized SE, you should uninstall those extras you obviously don't need (Port Magic, Toolbar, etc). Also, AOL has a Connectivity Service feature. You should disable that, perhaps disable it through msconfig. But one problem with that is if you disable it, AOL won't work. It'll force you to have that installed. Blah.

I rather give you a helpful hint to circumvent the hassle of AOL. Download AOL Communicator. It's actually something I like! It's much like Outlook, except it's AOL's software that serves one purpose: e-mail. That's all. It's pretty simple to use and feels professional. Also includes AOL Instant Messenger and the likes. I hopefully think it doesn't install extra crap though.

-J.

I just took out PortMagic

and now everything is ok I guess.

I uninstalled all the other crap also ;)

Unfrotunatelly the conectivity series cannot be removed :(

Thanks for you all

Back