AOL - how can I stop the XP processes?

DellAxim

Gawd
First of all, yes I know AOL sucks, etc, etc. I only use it for email and away-from-home dialup...and I get it for $5 a month. :)

Anyway, I'm running XP pro and AOL 9.0. When AOL is not running, there are still several AOL processes I can see with ctrl-alt-del. (AOLDial.exe, AOLacsd.exe, and sometimes another that I can't find right now) How can I stop these from running all the time? Once AOL is closed, it should be CLOSED! I don't want all this crap running...

You have the 9.0 SE. Most of those you can kill, aolACSD is the connectivity service, if you kill that you won't be able to use aol connections, dial-up, aol cable, et cetera. ironically you won't be able to connect with 3rd party connections either.

AOL dial can be really useful because it lets you make a connection to aol without opening aol.

aolschedulesp - is the spyware protection scheduler. there are some otherones like aoltpspd.exe - aol topspeed

AOL doesn't want you to remove them, and so they offer no options to config those. You might be able to remove aol spyware protection which also should get rid of the scheduler.

dont remove all of the stuff in msconfig, there is ONE process that aol needs for its "topspeed" thing. and another one that HELPS you connect to the aol. :D

Back