AOL Alternative

claygast

n00b
I, as most people, have an AOL screen name for use to chat with friends from school. However, I hate how they have completely bogged down and homo-ized AIM. Are there any alternate releases that are tried and true, and do not have all the ads and stuff?

What I want is what Kazaa Lite was to Kazaa, except for AIM.

Hope you guys understand what I'm saying.

stumpy said:
Trillian 3 is great...
I'm on an early version and that's all I need. :)

Kinda like how cell phone providers want to sell you a gazillion bells and whistles with your phone. I only want a cell phone for normal voice calls, thank you very much. And I only need my IM client to allow me to do basic stuff.

i tried running trillian and aim at the same time, and my aim buddy list got all messed up, i always keep a backup of it just in case, but it was weird, half the people who were on my other SN's werent on aim or trillian for that screen name :confused:

Metallica_Band said:
Is ICQ still around??? How's it doing nowadays???

it died after Satan bought it out

I run trillian 3 pro and like it a lot, tho it is a touch memory intensive. it is definitely not what I would call a "lite" version of AIM tho the features it offers make it worth the extra bloat imo

I use Aim AdHack 4.02 for AIM to remove ads because I run AIM in addition to trillian solely to be able to run a file sharing host (note: I am unsure about the legality of this haha so mods feel free to edit this last line out if it is considered innapropriate ;) )

that ad remover for aim dosn't always owrk, Didn't do jack for my installation.

If you don't want all the ads, just find the version tracker website [ google it ] and download an older version of aim. They still work, and don't have the add baggage.

Back