• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

AoC Performance tweaks

Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
59
Hey folks,

I just built a new computer for a friend of mine with the following specs:

Q6600
4gigs RAM
8800GTS 512 (G92)
Vista x64
500gb SATA
19" LCD max res. 1440x900

He tells me that the performance in AoC is less than stellar. Is this typical? Is AoC that heavy a game? He said that it lags much, especially in the city areas.

Any performance tweaks that anyone can recommend to smooth things out a bit? Also, is DX10 expected to help performance any when it comes out?
 
There seems to be a problem with some high end systems. I have a decent machine and I was getting horrible frame rates (5-15). I took 1 of my 1GB sticks out leaving 2GB and it fixed it for me. I am now getting 40-70 frames in most places. Dont ask me why.

Edit: I am using the 175.16 drivers.
 
Funcom's other MMORPG, Anarchy Online, suffered similar issues at launch. I expect them to work out the issues in the upcoming months.
 
Hey folks,

I just built a new computer for a friend of mine with the following specs:

Q6600
4gigs RAM
8800GTS 512 (G92)
Vista x64
500gb SATA
19" LCD max res. 1440x900

He tells me that the performance in AoC is less than stellar.

Depends what FPS he is expecting. That build is almost identical to mine aside from twice the RAM and likely the mobo. I have yet to see it dip below 30 FPS (usually from mid 30's into 70's @ 1680x1050) and I'm running nearly maxed... tweaked some things like shadows, reflections and textures as was recommended... and not overclocked for summer temps.

Interesting to think it would run better with less memory...
 
Depends what FPS he is expecting. That build is almost identical to mine aside from twice the RAM and likely the mobo. I have yet to see it dip below 30 FPS and I'm running nearly maxed... tweaked some things like shadows, reflections and textures as was recommended... and not overclocked for summer temps.

Interesting to think it would run better with less memory...

Yeah this really all depends on what people expect for frames. Its super easy to get 100+ FPS in WoW almost all the time with the simplistic graphics
 
I have almost the exact same system, except the video is 8800GT512 and the hdd is a 150gb raptor. The game runs amazingly well for me with (literally) everything at the max settings with bloom enabled at 1680x1050. It pretty much stays at 40fps or so unless I'm in a dungeon where it will break 150fps, or in Old Tarantia where it might drop into the 20's.
 
Here is what I get at default "High" settings, 1280x1024, 2X AA in Old Tarantia (the worst zone I have encountered for fps so far):

20.jpg


And here it is with these settings:

Shadows: Character only
Shadow Resolution: Medium
3D Ambient Occlusion: Low
Ground Resolution: Normal
Water Reflection: Ground only

30.jpg


That is a ~50% improvement with barely a noticeable affect on visual quality.
 
I have almost the exact same system, except the video is 8800GT512 and the hdd is a 150gb raptor. The game runs amazingly well for me with (literally) everything at the max settings with bloom enabled at 1680x1050. It pretty much stays at 40fps or so unless I'm in a dungeon where it will break 150fps, or in Old Tarantia where it might drop into the 20's.

Hmm I have similar system specs, but mine for sure does not always run at 40 fps.. I have yet to see me break into 150fps with everything max.
 
My only problem is that I get on a regular basis screen or texture tearing. sometimes changing the shader helps, but sometimes not. I checked card temps and drivers and they're peachy.
 
Hmm I have similar system specs, but mine for sure does not always run at 40 fps.. I have yet to see me break into 150fps with everything max.

I get a consistent 40 fps (sometimes more) in most areas of the game. I'm not just clicking the "high" detail button either. I've got all of the sliders set to max. The only thing that isn't max, now that I think of it, is af, which is set at 10x. I get around 20-30fps with those settings while fraps is recording full size video...

Here some vids I recorded.. low quality because of youtube, but it's with everything turned up.

http://www.youtube.com/beigemore
 
Back
Top