anyway to speed up windows boot times?

-=JacKaL=-

Limp Gawd
like the title says the only complaint i have about this system is that it sits and the windows loading bar screen for a very long time anyway to fix?

Defrag. Don't use autodetect IDE devices in the BIOS. Disable non essential startup items. Etc. Etc. It's been covered many times.

Google BootVis. Although it has been proven to have little effect as XP rearranges the boot files on your boot disk on its own after a period of time.

for what its worth.....i did this on my system

i have 2 raptors, 1 w/ os, apps etc, the other games, data storage etc...

used to take forever to boot XP....5 to 7+ passes of that lil bar thingy when its loading....

i moved my swap file to the 2nd raptor w/ games n data on it...

now it boots in less thasn 3 passes, ive seen it go half a pass and it switches to windows almost immediately....

but moving my swap file seemed to help the most...strange indeed isnt it?

P3N1X0R said:
for what its worth.....i did this on my system

i have 2 raptors, 1 w/ os, apps etc, the other games, data storage etc...

used to take forever to boot XP....5 to 7+ passes of that lil bar thingy when its loading....

i moved my swap file to the 2nd raptor w/ games n data on it...

now it boots in less thasn 3 passes, ive seen it go half a pass and it switches to windows almost immediately....

but moving my swap file seemed to help the most...strange indeed isnt it?
Not really, your taking a very disk intensive process and pretty much giving a dedicated spindle during boot.

-=JacKaL=- said:
like the title says the only complaint i have about this system is that it sits and the windows loading bar screen for a very long time anyway to fix?

What's a very long time? 30 seconds? 5 minutes? Are you connected to a network?

MorfiusX said:
Not really, your taking a very disk intensive process and pretty much giving a dedicated spindle during boot.
Exactly.

VMware also benefits greatly from seperate disks/controllers, much more than excess RAM, as odd as that seems.

i would say it takes about a full minute maybe a little more to be fully operatble from when it restarts, would like it in less than a minute

get that gigabyte i-ram drive, throw 4 gigs on it, boot up in less than a minute :)

what else can this guy to do improve boot performance??

heres how i speed up my boot, lol. when i get home, i turn on the pc, head to the bathroom, take a leak, wash up, come back and bam itsd booted and loaded and ready to go...or just use the suspend feature or whatever and itll be up quickly as well.....

FiZ said:
Google BootVis. Although it has been proven to have little effect as XP rearranges the boot files on your boot disk on its own after a period of time.

Yep, bootvis is a myth you can chalk up with RAID 0 on a gaming rig, putting apps and OS on separate partitions, and bigfoot. ;)

Back