• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

anything wrong with getting this HIS 5850???

cannondale06

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Nov 27, 2007
Messages
16,180
I am getting tired of waiting for prices to drop so this seems like an okay price but I have no experience with HIS. this card clearly isnt reference but is that a good thing or a bad thing? in the reviews some guy said he got the gpu to 925 at stock voltage. can voltage even be adjusted on non reference cards? also I am a little worried about dealing with HIS if an issue comes up. and LOL at the moron in the reviews that put one of these with an Athlon 64 4000+.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161330&cm_re=5850-_-14-161-330-_-Product


btw there is also a non reference XFX 5850 for the same price but it looks like the fan may not have manual control.
 
Non-reference cards normally have slightly cheaper components and non-adjustable voltage controllers. I would guess that this card doesn't allow you to modify the voltage. It'll perform well at stock speeds, still let you OC a bit, but won't have as much headroom and tweaking options as a reference card. The fan should be able to be controlled via MSI afterburner.

All in all, it's fine. If you're looking to squeeze every last bit of performance out of a 5850 though, look for reference.
 
given the 20 dollar price difference I would go with the msi hawk. Or if budget is a major issue then do the open box 5000 series search on newegg about 11 am through 2pm pacific time daily about every 20 minutes & be prepared to jump. When newegg puts up the openbox specials they dont last long for anything from a 5770 up.
 
HIS doesn't honor their warranty, or they stall for months on end.

I avoid HIS like the plague.
 
From my experience HIS is probably the worse video card company there is. The sooner they go bankrupt the better.
 
The HIS 5850 I purchased has me strumming my fingers on my desk in thought. I don't think the graphic quality is as good as my Visiontek 3870x2. I've noticed graininess while watching movies and text seems less clear. Initially I hooked it up to the DisplayPort on my HP2475w, but switched to DVI, the granular quality of movies was less noticeable using that. Frame rates in games(I play World of Warcraft mostly) do not seem to be smooth or consistent. I am going to try a different driver(using 10.4 right now) and hope for a difference, but honestly, the few days I've spent using this card make me want to press Visiontek to replace the 3870x2(2 1/2 years old and fan failing).

I had an HIS x1600 in the past, it performed alright, but I believe the price charged for the proprietary cooler was not justifiable. Honestly I'd take the advice of the fellows in other posts and go with a more reputable company. I bought my card because the egg had a one day special with free shipping. Stupid me.
 
Back
Top