Anything useful I can do with a RISC computer?

SomeoneWhoIsntMe

Limp Gawd
I'm might get a HP J6700 workstation for free. It has dual 750mhz 64-bit processors, and probably around 6 gigs of RAM. It'll run Gentoo or Debian.

Anyone have any ideas on what I can do with this rig?

Im assuming its a HP Visualize?
you can do 3D modeling or anything graphically intense and it will do it with ease

Edit: or you can sell it, they sell for like a grand a peice on ebay.

Yeah, it is an HP visualize. Because of how I got it, it might be not a very good idea to sell it. Plus, it's way too cool to just part out or sell.

SomeoneWhoIsntMe said:
Yeah, it is an HP visualize. Because of how I got it, it might be not a very good idea to sell it. Plus, it's way too cool to just part out or sell.

Hmm... 5 finger discount (or 10 in this case)?

jen4950 said:
Hmm... 5 finger discount (or 10 in this case)?

Two scrap workstations from a large company. I should be able to put together a single working system with spare parts left over.

The reason I wouldn't want to sell it is because the company's had problem with people doing stupid stuff like declaring perfectly good things as scrap, taking them home, and selling them.

edit: and even if I can't get them working, the cases are painted in automotive red paint and have a badge for a certian 400 horsepower sports car on the side.

that is very, very strange. Usually they dont even look like that. looks like it was modded.

German Muscle said:
that is very, very strange. Usually they dont even look like that. looks like it was modded.

I'm pretty sure it's a normal J6700 racked inside of that red Corvette thing.

AH HA...those are the workstations my friend's dad spoke of. He's a drivetrain engy on the Vette, and always spoke of workstation painted red with a Vette logo on the side. Sweet stuff...I assume dual 750 Itaniums?

Oh...if you ever do want to sell them...I'll glady buy one of 'em, if only for the case. Dead serious :D

EDIT #2: You're in Waterford @_@. That's like 20 mins from me (Grand Blanc here).

movax said:
AH HA...those are the workstations my friend's dad spoke of. He's a drivetrain engy on the Vette, and always spoke of workstation painted red with a Vette logo on the side. Sweet stuff...I assume dual 750 Itaniums?

Oh...if you ever do want to sell them...I'll glady buy one of 'em, if only for the case. Dead serious :D

EDIT #2: You're in Waterford @_@. That's like 20 mins from me (Grand Blanc here).

PA-RISC, not Itanium. I think there are Itanium (or Xeon maybe) workstations too. My dad worked a bit on the Vette engine, so he might know the guy.

German Muscle said:
here is what they usually look like.
http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-9000-J6700-W...ryZ11221QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I found one like yours on ebay. I guess they made them witht he corvette theme but why? something the corvette factory wanted??
http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-J6700-A6055B...ryZ11221QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

GM's Computer Assisted Engineering department uses RISC workstations, and you need normal PC cases to put under people's desks, because most cubicals don't have rackmounts. Corvette seemed like a cool badge to slap on, I guess.

If dad finds the pictures, I can show you guys the XLR badged C8000s that they're replacing these with.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back