Anything faster than RDP/VNC for remotely connecting to a machine?

jmk396

Gawd
Windows Remote Desktop (RDP) and VNC are pretty decent especially when you're working on a LAN but they still don't have quite the responsiveness as working locally on a machine.

Is there anything faster for both Windows and Mac OS X?

Basically I'd like to put some machines downstairs in my house and then use my main PC to connect to them. (ie. one machine for OS X development, one for other purposes, etc)

I've thought about buying a KVM-over-IP solution but they are extremely expensive and I'm not even sure how responsive they would be either...

No remote control/desktop utility is ever going to be as snappy as a local connection. Turn down all the eye candy and they will perform a little better assuming there isn't any network congestion.

Personally I control all my severs at work using RDP through an IPSEC tunnel over a T1. I've never had any trouble doing work on them. You probably just need to adjust your expectations a bit.

I second matt, but unfortunatelly it really depends on applications as well where it's harder to turn things off (a really annoying animated splash window springs to mind).

Maybe you could try tweaking rdp settings too (lower compression etc.) as connection speed really shouldn't be a problem here. You're not having much traffic on those links, right?

Anyway, for normal work with xp on 100mbps it's not really much of a difference, even youtube is (almost) bearable :)

Back