• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Anything better plugin than Winamp OpenAL plugin?

RogueTrip

2[H]4U
2FA
Joined
Feb 22, 2003
Messages
2,881
In search to get rid of alot of clipping issues with Foobar2000 and default winamp plugin I came across this Winamp OpenAL plugin, so I installed it and it sounds really good! on top of that it lets me use my X-RAM on my X-Fi which is pretty neat. ATM this also removes all the clipping I was getting which is great!

So anything better out that I may not of stumbled upon?
 
asio/wasapi, make sure you put your x-fi in creation mode and enable bit-matched playback.
 
The OpenAL plugin is excellent for having low CPU usage (useful if streaming and gaming at the same time); but it's limited to 48khz & 16-bit output. The upmixing to 5.1 is very good however.
 
I would investigate why you were getting clipping in the first place... None of the interfaces mentioned will just clip randomly unless they're fed bad source data; especially foobar2k makes it hard to clip the digital output.
 
I would investigate why you were getting clipping in the first place... None of the interfaces mentioned will just clip randomly unless they're fed bad source data; especially foobar2k makes it hard to clip the digital output.

Yeah, might look into it, same build for a year, was using Windows 7 Pro x64 with a single SSD for OS and never had issues. I then added another SSD for Raid 0 for the OS and reloaded. But my music is not on the OS drives the whole time. Installed on a WD6401AALS the for both installs. Doing nothing more than backup/downloading. None of my youtube/avi/xvid/mp4/H264 showed this clipping issue at any time.

Only other thing I remember doing was installing some new Web drivers for the X-Fi that came out but was just for better web detection. Maybe these are causing it?! These also still played fine with youtube/avi/xvid/mp4/H264 afterwards.

So source stay the same the whole time. Even went back and played the same songs 2+ more times with the openAL plugin and not getting the clipping.
 
I know you dropped foobar2000 already, but I use it and Creative ASIO and it sounds great to me. It works seamlessly (a hell of alot better than ASIO4All at least) and I've had no clipping issues at all.
 
Am I missing something. From what it looks like is ASIO drivers only come on the install CD?! I got a OEM card off ebay which had no CD. Where can I find the drivers?

The card is a SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Fatality Pro Series (PCI).

Thanks!

Edit: Got the ASIO and WASAPI plugins for Foobar2000. Got both working (making me believe Creative ASIO driver was already installed with Support Pack 2.0?!), I hear Zero difference between the 2 plugins! I'll strike that up to a limitation of 2.1 speakers using analog out. Even sounds the same as The OpenAL plugin from Winamp. I can atleast say there has been no distortion during playback, and DPC latency stays very low during playback.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top