Anyones computer overheat today?

dopee123

[H]ard|Gawd
So here in southern Cali it hit 93 degrees today. My overclocked CPU is running 50C idle with a Zalman 9500, and my X850XT is chugging along at 38C idle compared to 43/32 just yesterday. And it's not even summer yet! I don't think my computer will be stable for long under these conditions.

Can anyone recommend me a good case for its cooling properties? I'm running an Ultra Aluminus right now and it doesn't seem to be cutting it airflow wise. Also, what is the easiest and cheapest thing one can do to reduce case temps?

Cheapest and easiest would be to take the side panel off your case or to turn the AC up. I have heard that the Ante900 is a great case for air cooling (it has tons of big fans)...im using the ultra wizard, which has a little vent that lines up decently with my enzotech ultra-x (effectively turning it into another intake).

What vcore are you running at?

My vcore is 1.424v idle in windows and my idle temp was 35-40c today.

overclockers against global warming!
Bring on nuclear winter!

Really there isn't much that you're going to be able to do so long as your ambient temps are high. you're going to have to just cool the room down. sucking in and blowing hot air over your hardware which is trying to get rid of it's heat is a very vicious cycle. so I would get a window AC unit or something if I were you. If you're so inclined you could just run a Duct from the AC unit to your case. you will suffer and sweat though haha.

Really there isn't much that you're going to be able to do so long as your ambient temps are high. you're going to have to just cool the room down. sucking in and blowing hot air over your hardware which is trying to get rid of it's heat is a very vicious cycle. so I would get a window AC unit or something if I were you. If you're so inclined you could just run a Duct from the AC unit to your case. you will suffer and sweat though haha.
I have a window fan right now and its still stupid hot. No cool air comes in, just whatever heat is outside. I think im gonna have to run stock till summer is over.

Was pretty warm in Wisconsin here not too long ago. Best shot, crank up the AC. If you don't have it (which I didn't in my first apartment, 2nd floor, so I understand) best shot is going to Wal-Mart, picking up a small high velocity fan and point it at your case with the side panel off.

I'm in northern Cali. I built a new rig recently but ended up using an old PC60 case that isn't the most heat-efficient. The front was quite warm to the touch and the back was kicking out some pretty hot air, but the PC ran fine all day.

I may have to replace this case soon tho.

If you're running a Core 2 Duo you won't have too much to worry about this summer.

The C2D has a pile of headroom and most users aren't running their chips anywhere near the Intel rated maximum or close to the throttling point.

I decided to do some testing to see what the outer limits are before it starts to throttle and this is what I came up with.

tattesting3se3.png

As long as TAT reports "Thermal Monitor Idle" in green then you are running at a safe temperature and at full speed without any throttling. 82C was the maximum temperature I could run before TAT switched to "Thermal Monitor Active" and switched to red to which warns users that they're running too hot. I had to practically turn my cpu fan off while running TAT to get up here.

This isn't a "you should run your C2D at 80C" post. Just a post to confirm that if your chip does go over 80C, it won't self destruct and your computer will keep running at full speed so you might not even notice. :D

Three cheers for the very well built C2D. As long as you're stable there's no reason to turn down your overclock just because it's summer time.

You have any info like that for a Pentium D 805?
Unfortunately the previous Pentium chips put out more heat and aren't as smart when it comes to running on the edge before throttling. The C2D is brilliant when it comes to managing itself.

Unfortunately the previous Pentium chips put out more heat and aren't as smart when it comes to running on the edge before throttling. The C2D is brilliant when it comes to managing itself.

Which is why im concerned. Sure i can have it run at 80C all day long nonstop...it doesnt even complain to me. Heh, but id rather be on the safe side.

Will the C2D's self-preservation kick in even when you've disabled the C1E/Enhanced speedstep stuff in BIOS for OC'ing?

Here in Chicago is getting hot too. It's running 46C iddle now and I'm sure it will go higher. Using Zalman 9700. Cpu vcore is 1.4, OC'ed to 3.2.

Im starting to get jelous of you people with the C2D. Your temps are much better than my 805. My idle is 48-49C on a COLD night. On a hot mid-day im running at the VERY least 50C on this thing.

Will the C2D's self-preservation kick in even when you've disabled the C1E/Enhanced speedstep stuff in BIOS for OC'ing?
The important one to have turned on in the bios is Thermal Monitoring.

Run RMClock and it will show you if TM1 and TM2 are turned on or not.

rmclockwm3.png

At least one of these is supposed to be on at all times even if you have Thermal Monitoring turned off in the bios.

Even with Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® (EIST) turned off in the bios, this program claims that it is still on, which might be true. If I run CPUz from the hard drive it shows it running at full speed but if I run CPUz from a CD, it also shows the processor adjusting the multilier to 6X when at idle. I'm not sure what the real truth is but SpeedStep® on or off doesn't matter when you're at full load anyhow. Same with C1E. Neither will hold you back when overclocking.

If through some software program you are able to turn both TM1 and TM2 off then the Intel C2D still has a feature built into it that overrides everything and will prevent it from self destructing. For my E6400, a degree or two after 85C, it will simply turn itself off.

hmz: "It's running 46C idle now and I'm sure it will go higher."

Why is that a problem? 46C is just a number. As long as you're stable don't worry about the details.

The important one to have turned on in the bios is Thermal Monitoring.

Run RMClock and it will show you if TM1 and TM2 are turned on or not.

rmclockwm3.png

At least one of these is supposed to be on at all times even if you have Thermal Monitoring turned off in the bios.

Even with Enhanced Intel Speed Step (EIST) turned off in the bios, this program claims that it is still on, which I tend to believe. If I run CPUz from the hard drive it shows it running at full speed but if I run CPUz from a CD, it also shows the processor adjusting the multilier to 6X when at idle. I'm not sure what the real truth is but Speedstep on or off doesn't matter when you're at full load anyhow. Same with C1E. Neither will hold you back when overclocking.

If through some software program you are able to turn both TM1 and TM2 off then the Intel C2D still has a feature built into it that overrides everything and will prevent it from self destructing. For my E6400, a degree or two after 85C, it will simply turn itself off.

hmz: "It's running 46C idle now and I'm sure it will go higher."

Why is that a problem? 46C is just a number. As long as you're stable don't worry about the details.
In that case..time to run my D805 at 3.4GHz with an idle of 55C and a load of 71C.

So here in southern Cali it hit 93 degrees today. My overclocked CPU is running 50C idle with a Zalman 9500, and my X850XT is chugging along at 38C idle compared to 43/32 just yesterday. And it's not even summer yet! I don't think my computer will be stable for long under these conditions.

Can anyone recommend me a good case for its cooling properties? I'm running an Ultra Aluminus right now and it doesn't seem to be cutting it airflow wise. Also, what is the easiest and cheapest thing one can do to reduce case temps?
That depends on how much you want to spend. There are a few that come to mind:
P180
Thermaltake Armor Series VA8000BWS
COOLER MASTER Stacker 830
Antec Nine Hundred
And, a few of the LIAN LI Cases
to name a few.

In the meantime you can use a can of air and remove any dust inside your case (if you haven't tried that already). Also (someone else suggested), remove the side panel off and see if that makes a difference. What kind of thermal compound are you using? How long have you been using it?

That depends on how much you want to spend. There are a few that come to mind:
P180
Thermaltake Armor Series VA8000BWS
COOLER MASTER Stacker 830
Antec Nine Hundred
And, a few of the LIAN LI Cases
to name a few.

In the meantime you can use a can of air and remove any dust inside your case (if you haven't tried that already). Also (someone else suggested), remove the side panel off and see if that makes a difference. What kind of thermal compound are you using? How long have you been using it?

Last night, just for fun i decided to open the side panel of my case. I was encoding some video for about 5 hours (lots of video for my Zune :) ) and my CPU and Temp case dropped dramatically. I went from 58C. to about 52C on a heavy load. Just by removing the side panel. Too bad my room is WAY too dusty to keep it off.

My room finally hit 29c today, and it's only 1pm. When the afternoon sun comes around, I don't doubt it will hit mid 30s (IE: me = suicide).

Oh no! 93 degrees F! whatever shall we do! try 98 and humid as hell, or the 105 it will hit in the southeast on some days this summer.

Oh no! 93 degrees F! whatever shall we do! try 98 and humid as hell, or the 105 it will hit in the southeast on some days this summer.
There is no contest when it's hot and humid out, specially at night when you think it will cool off and it does not.

My pentium d 805 is a oven. Yesterday it didn't get above 80F in the albany ny york area
my computer was running about 80f while gaming with a huge inustrial size fan pointed right in it along with another three other fans so i don't know what I am going to do when it breaks 80 here, my cpu is going to die. So I am right now trying to see if I can get a e4300 to work with my current motherboard. that way I will be able to use my computer and game over the summer without dropping from 40ish fps down to 5-15fps becuase of the extreme heat.

Yesterday (here in socal) they said it was supposed to cool off a bit today, but now it looks like it's even HOTTER!

Well my idle temps jumped up a degree today up to 51C. I don't use AC to save on the electric bills. I have 3 aquariums going so that's keeping my bill real high every month. At least I can turn off the heaters for them now.

It's good to be reassured that the C2D won't throttle till 80C or so. I'm undervolting my C2D a little at 1.275 but I have a feeling my heatspreader is concave, hence the high temps. A little lapping would probably help some. Thanks for the suggestions on the cases. My room is extremely dusty so I wouldn't want to have the side of the case off for extended amounts of time. I may possible get an Antec 900 as it looks sexy.

So it's even hotter now than it was yesterday, and pretty humid as well. I don't mind the weather so much it's just my PC running hot and permanent nut sweat that bugs me a tiny bit.

Yeah its fairly warm and humid in Northwest Indiana today and my temps just jumped 8-10 degrees. Im idling at 60!!!!! Yesterday it was my normal 50-52 If only the new LGA775 mounting bracket for the Scythe Ninja actually worked..... Have to wait for my refund so I can get an Infinity.

Yeah, I don't want to deal with high temperatures so my overclock went from 3.8ghz using 1.42V, to 3.150 with 1.3V.

Idles in the 30's with a warm 75F (outside, same inside or a bit warmer)

93f ??? Did you leave the AC on? Hehe....here in Texas, summers get into the 97-100 range all the time.:p

Funny how those 'look at my great temps!' posts stop dead
about this time every year. No doubt we'll see 'em again
come Oct or Nov.

Don't be so worried about it. I'm used to it getting to 115F+ here in Phoenix in the summer. I'll often let my computer room hit 95F and even with very heavy overclocks I've had no problems.

Yeah, my computer shut down under a heat test running Orthos. Reached my set limit of 60c so I dropped the voltage to 1.35v and underclocked it to 3ghz. I guess thats where I'm staying for the summer.

Strangely my 8800gts didn't see any change in temps.

I live in Palm Springs, Depending on the temps. I won't turn my comp. on till night time.
Summer time is not fit for humans..lol

I live in Palm Springs, Depending on the temps. I won't turn my comp. on till night time.
Summer time is not fit for humans..lol
yeah i heard some parts of Palm Springs hits 100+ last year.. here @ Anaheim Hills its like 98 outside 65% humid...damn!!!

Back