Anyone work w/ Motorola passive optical networks? gpon bpon olt

acesea

Limp Gawd
I am receiving quotes on Motorola hardware but the spec sheets on the cards for the OLT chassis are not publicly available. Apparently details are only available selectively and the engineers from Motorola are slow on the followup. Does anyone have white papers on Motorola's current PON head-ends w/ part numbers, interfaces, etc? Or if I cited some part numbers would you be able to provide more specs on the given part?

Maybe this will trend toward greater transparency with Google in control.

Also, please pm me if you or anyone you know might be interested in consulting on a new deployment. Mention what related aspects and hardware you have experience with and what solution the infrastructure provided.

Last edited:
Are you the guy over at DSL Reports building a Fiber ISP?

Can't help you much, but good luck with your project.

Are you the guy over at DSL Reports building a Fiber ISP?

Can't help you much, but good luck with your project.

Nope, I don't visit or post there. Assuming its relevant/informative I would appreciate you pming me the link (google isn't helping me find it).

Thanks.

No part numbers from me but the GPON application cards of theirs we looked at had 4x ITU-T G.984 ports, 1x 10GigE port, and 10x 1GigE ports. The G.984 ports used standard SC-UPC connectors. The systems cards had 1x 10GigE port and 6x 1GigE ports. The chassis had the usual connectors for DS1 connectivity, BITS Clock, alarms etc. In the end we chose Occam over Motorolla and Calix due to a superior Active product.

I would be very leery about any in-ground fiber or copper lines around a farming community.

Ubiquiti has some really fast and low cost, decent quality 5 Ghz WISP equipment. You can use their AirMax 5 Ghz GPS-timed access points with their directional sector antennas to provide more radios thus more available bandwidth saturation. With the 2x2 MIMO, and 150 Mbps customer premise equipment and included PoE, it just makes sense.

If there is no other competition, I would replace your aging WISP equipment with Ubiquiti and tell your customers to put pressure on your local politicians / city council to allow use of roadway easement rights if they want "faster" internet services. You could offer the city free "Metro Ethernet" services for their cooperation. It sounds like they are wanting somthing from you as it doesn't make any sense why they would not want to do all they can to assist you in building a better data infrastructure. In some areas in the United States, If you can collect a certain percentage of signatures, you can call a local election and let everybody vote on it.

Another revenue source for small town WISP's is computer repair since you're probably going to be the first thing they think of for technical support.

I would be very leery about any in-ground fiber or copper lines around a farming community.

Ubiquiti has some really fast and low cost, decent quality 5 Ghz WISP equipment. You can use their AirMax 5 Ghz GPS-timed access points with their directional sector antennas to provide more radios thus more available bandwidth saturation. With the 2x2 MIMO, and 150 Mbps customer premise equipment and included PoE, it just makes sense.

If there is no other competition, I would replace your aging WISP equipment with Ubiquiti and tell your customers to put pressure on your local politicians / city council to allow use of roadway easement rights if they want "faster" internet services. You could offer the city free "Metro Ethernet" services for their cooperation. It sounds like they are wanting somthing from you as it doesn't make any sense why they would not want to do all they can to assist you in building a better data infrastructure. In some areas in the United States, If you can collect a certain percentage of signatures, you can call a local election and let everybody vote on it.

Another revenue source for small town WISP's is computer repair since you're probably going to be the first thing they think of for technical support.

I don't think the OP is replacing WISP equipment?

cryptok1d is completely off point and off topic. I am working on a multiphase multi high rise project.

Motorola won't release any white paper specs because I am not paying them for support lol.

Anyone here familiar with iptv over fiber solutions? Doesn't need to be satellite fed.. open to anything.

I am receiving quotes on Motorola hardware but the spec sheets on the cards for the OLT chassis are not publicly available. Apparently details are only available selectively and the engineers from Motorola are slow on the followup. Does anyone have white papers on Motorola's current PON head-ends w/ part numbers, interfaces, etc? Or if I cited some part numbers would you be able to provide more specs on the given part?

Maybe this will trend toward greater transparency with Google in control.

Also, please pm me if you or anyone you know might be interested in consulting on a new deployment. Mention what related aspects and hardware you have experience with and what solution the infrastructure provided.

Google owns Motorola Mobility. A completely, and totally seperate company from Motorola Solutions.

Back