anyone with bad capacitors?

doodman

n00b
Can people who has encountered bad capacitors on their computer list what make/model of the board that has the bad capacitor?

I'm trying to see what boards have them so I can avoid buying them. I haven't checked my computer yet, but I suspect I might have a bad capacitor. Lately, my computer suddenly shuts (loses power) when I run a 3D game (guild wars). It turns off within 5 seconds of starting up the 3D graphics of it. It doesn't always happen, but once every few times. I've read this article: http://news.com.com/PCs+plagued+by+bad+capacitors/2100-1041_3-5942647.html?tag=nefd.top
and their symptoms are eerily similar to mine.
I have a 500W PSU (forgot the brand, not great) so I doubt its the PSU, and the fact that I haven't encountered this problem until recently excludes this.
My boards is a Asus A7N8X-Deluxe 2.0, and I have a BFG 6800GT.

Could be the PSU, actually. 500W isn't always 500W. Check with the Power Supplies forum for confirmation here. A brand name and model number on PSU would be great.

Could also be the Video Card, (which is why you're posting in this forum, I'm sure!). BFG's a good brand, though, and it's unlikely to be a fault there. If it is, believe me, they'll make it right.

Easiest way to find out if the capacitor thing is your problem is to look. Are any of them bulged or crusty or split in two, etc?

Open up your case and in under a minute you'll have your answer as to whether or not it's a bad capacitor. The focus of the cnet article is defective capacitors, mainly nichicon ones. If you go to the forums at badcaps.net you'll see a huge list of which motherboards and capacitors you can trust and ones that you should stay away from.

On a side note, I'm quoted in that article and there is a link to my website.... very cool

Back