• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Anyone with any tri-fire, eyefinity, bf3 beta experience?

Chris_B

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
May 29, 2001
Messages
5,485
Im looking to possibly upgrade a 6970 from my system to a 6990 for tri crossfire, after playing the bf3 beta it was very obvious that on my current gpu setup 5760x1080 wasn't all that playable. I was averaging around 35-40 fps or so but after playing it on a single screen it just felt sluggish at those framerates in eyefinity.

Just looking to see if anyone played with 3 6970's or a 6990 and a 6970 to see what their performance was like at eyefinity res. Obviously beta performance isn't all that indicitive of the retail product, just curious to see how much more of a difference (if any) an extra gpu would make to the game.
 
I personally don't have experience with tri-fire eyefinity. However, I do have experience with crossfire and think there is a lack of power necessary to push three monitors at higher graphical settings.

Playable medium settings for eyefinity/surround.
xfire 6950 or sli gtx570

Ultra settings for eyefinity/surround.
tri-fire 6950/6970 or tri-sli 570/580

Just my observations and could be totally off base.
 
I personally don't have experience with tri-fire eyefinity. However, I do have experience with crossfire and think there is a lack of power necessary to push three monitors at higher graphical settings.

Playable medium settings for eyefinity/surround.
xfire 6950 or sli gtx570

Ultra settings for eyefinity/surround.
tri-fire 6950/6970 or tri-sli 570/580

Just my observations and could be totally off base.

In the beta 4800x900 with some things on high some on medium seemed more playable, hbao was disabled as it seems to be a similar hit as it was in bc2 with not much visual difference (10-15 fps or so hit with it on).

5760x1080 chugged along with most things on medium some on high, but as soon as the gpu load dropped it started dropping to the low 20fps mark which made it unplayable.

That being said it was a beta and drivers are still being worked on. Just interested in seeing if an additional gpu will make 5760x1080 more playable.
 
I have 2 6970's and I had to turn it down to medium to get decent framerate and gameplay @ 5760 X 1080. I'm also thinking of getting a 6990+6970 for trifire if someone can say it will at least let me play on high. I heard too many people have problems running 3 6970's with drivers and such.....
 
Just have to wait and see if an article materialises from the looks of things.
 
So for example, playing BF3 on 3 27inch 1080p monitors with a crossfire 6950(870mhz) what kind of settings am i looking at to be able to play the game looking better than the xbox and ps3?
 
PM Marcdaddy and Dfedders, I believe MD has tri 6970s and dfedders had tri 6950 toxic unlocked. I'm pretty sure both played battlefield 3 open beta if my memory serves me well.
 
So for example, playing BF3 on 3 27inch 1080p monitors with a crossfire 6950(870mhz) what kind of settings am i looking at to be able to play the game looking better than the xbox and ps3?

On "Ultra" but without the AA or the AO, at 3x1080p in the beta you'd have seen an average of 45-46fps and a minimum of around 33. What you'd need to turn off further to get that frame rate higher I'm not sure, as I haven't really dabbled with lower detail - bear in mind the full version will include higher detail than the beta though, so you may have to turn quite a few things off. Stepping up to three cards it's more promising, you should have seen 65fps average and 50fps minimum in the beta with the AA and AO switched off, so maybe turn one or two 'ultra' settings down a notch and you'd be good to go for a minimum of 60fps. Using 'high' detail in the real game instead of 'Ultra' should be enough.
 
3 6970's in tri-fire 940 Core stock at 5760x1080 max settings in BF3 around 90FPS if this helps.
 
When he says max settings, he probably means without AA, and in the tunnels of Paris Metro. Step outside and that frame rate will halve.
 
When he says max settings, he probably means without AA, and in the tunnels of Paris Metro. Step outside and that frame rate will halve.

Seriously... at 1920x1080 I wasn't getting over a constant 45fps on Caspian... A quick look from FRAPS shows that playing rush on Paris, I was getting max 84, min 44, and average framerate of 54, again at 1080, maxed settings, but outdoors. 2x6950 unlocked and overclocked to 900/1375.

Dang I'm having withdrawl from BF3... Can't wait till Monday night/Tuesday morning!

Edit: I was also using 11.9 with CAP3... 11.10 hotfix crapped all over my computer.. Maybe I'll straighten that out tonight so I'm ready to rock the hour of release
 
I'm kind of tweaking out about this also. I just ordered two 6970s, though who knows if they'll ship (they were the $220 HIS 6970 amazon deal) to replace my 5970. I also just ordered a 2500K and am about to pick out my motherboard to replace my 955BE. But based on what some are saying and the specs in your sigs, it's not going to get me where I want to be; though it will be better than unplayable on 1920x1080 with my current rig.

I'm hoping the next round of graphics (7000Series) will bring some serious performance boosts for us eyefinity users.

BF3 is going to bankrupt us all
 
Seriously... at 1920x1080 I wasn't getting over a constant 45fps on Caspian... A quick look from FRAPS shows that playing rush on Paris, I was getting max 84, min 44, and average framerate of 54, again at 1080, maxed settings, but outdoors. 2x6950 unlocked and overclocked to 900/1375.

Dang I'm having withdrawl from BF3... Can't wait till Monday night/Tuesday morning!

Too late now I know, but turn one of the AA types off - it will make all the difference. A minimum of 44 seems a bit low for 1080p considering with two 6970s my minimum maxed out was 38 at 2560x1600. What's your CPU?
edit: sigs don't show up in the full message editor - 2600K I would have thought would be enough. Curious...
 
I'm kind of tweaking out about this also. I just ordered two 6970s, though who knows if they'll ship (they were the $220 HIS 6970 amazon deal) to replace my 5970. I also just ordered a 2500K and am about to pick out my motherboard to replace my 955BE. But based on what some are saying and the specs in your sigs, it's not going to get me where I want to be; though it will be better than unplayable on 1920x1080 with my current rig.

I'm hoping the next round of graphics (7000Series) will bring some serious performance boosts for us eyefinity users.

BF3 is going to bankrupt us all

I doubt those will ship, but crazier things have happened. I jumped on the Asus P67 ROG version when it was incorrectly priced at like $120. Order went in and everything. They emailed me and apologized for the wrong pricing and I think gave me $5 credit towards my next order. Oh well.

2500k will definitely allow you to rock BF3. 6970s also will be fantastic. I'm hoping my poor performance (not poor, but I couldn't play eyefinity at all) experience is just from driver issues. Sometimes it just works out that way unfortunately. I'd clean format with new drivers, but I have too many little apps that I would still need, so I'd rather not.

7000 series... who knows. People have tremendous hope, but they did for bulldozer as well, and did for 6950/6970 with the new architecture.. We got great performance per dollar and per watt, but it wasn't a mindblowing upgrade from the 58xx/59xx series. Who knows, maybe with 7xxx they'll figure it out.

And yes, BF3 will, but it'll be worth it, and like BF2 people will play it for long to come after that. I just hope that they maintain it for a longer period than I'm seeing multiplayer games maintained these days. Also pissed about the additional costs for dedicated servers, and the fact that the server browser is web based, so while it eschews the problem that we had with CoD that there were no dedicated servers (since we can host them now), I believe we'll still be reliant on their web service for the finding of servers, basically just locking us to the CoD model while calling it something else ;(
 
FWIW, I just now got around to removing, driver sweeping, and reinstalling the newest 11.10 and CAP3 in anticipation for BF3.

God I hope the driver changes they've made actually apply to the full game, not just beta! My concern stems from the BF3 team stating that the beta was an earlier build, and is nothing like the final build which still hadn't gone gold by the time the beta was occuring. They said that many if not most of the beta issues had already been resolved, hence why they took their sweet time fixing them. I believe the beta was more of a weapons-balance run, since I remember when BFBC2 came out, the M60 was my immediate go-to gun because it was a 2 shot kill weapon, full auto, that you could stick a scope on :)

Edit:

adding to BF3 weaksauce (okay, there is very little of it), that the "midnight" release online (through origin) is scheduled for midnight PST.... I just hit BF3 and had it run the activation/decryption script, but it said it can't until 03:00 10/25.... GRRRR.. I know my friends are going to pick them up in person at midnight EST... I hope that it's just an error and it really will be midnight EST....
 
Any updated impressions now the full game is out and runs somewhat better than the beta?
 
Runs like crap for me..

5760X1200 2600K@4.8

6990 + 6970 11.9 Cap4

its a little like BC2 as i can only get that working smooth on cross not trifire, as for BF3 it will only use about say 70% gpu on all 3 gpu's also getting screen tearing and lag, if I turn off the AA it will improve a lot but still not 100%

I also have a 4th card 6950 with 6970 bios but the only game it really works perfect on is hard reset, so i never have the 4th card in my system, will give it a go tonioght but im sure it will make it even worse :s
 
Runs like crap for me..

5760X1200 2600K@4.8

6990 + 6970 11.9 Cap4

its a little like BC2 as i can only get that working smooth on cross not trifire, as for BF3 it will only use about say 70% gpu on all 3 gpu's also getting screen tearing and lag, if I turn off the AA it will improve a lot but still not 100%

I also have a 4th card 6950 with 6970 bios but the only game it really works perfect on is hard reset, so i never have the 4th card in my system, will give it a go tonioght but im sure it will make it even worse :s

Roughly what type of performance are you getting on trifire? 50fps or below? Seems bugged at the minute anyway with hud and friendly player icons not apperaring in 3 screen mode :(
 
im getting 45ps and lower.. it will run smooth on the 6990 alone but at 30fps its just like bc2, cant understand why they never fixed he multi gpu problem..
 
Runs like crap for me..

5760X1200 2600K@4.8

6990 + 6970 11.9 Cap4

its a little like BC2 as i can only get that working smooth on cross not trifire, as for BF3 it will only use about say 70% gpu on all 3 gpu's also getting screen tearing and lag, if I turn off the AA it will improve a lot but still not 100%

I also have a 4th card 6950 with 6970 bios but the only game it really works perfect on is hard reset, so i never have the 4th card in my system, will give it a go tonioght but im sure it will make it even worse :s

How are your monitors connected to the back of the card, e.g. 3 dp to dvi etc..? The 6990 is the primary card right? All monitors connected to the 6990? Also are you using the ausum bios setting. Have you tried the eyefinity work around for the game. Your performance should be much better. With Quad GPU you should be getting good scalling around. Settings should be custom, everything ultra, motion blur minimized quite a bit or disabled. Post process AA High, Deferred AA off. Drivers should be 11.10 official WHQL 11.9 Cap 4 Official release.

Here is a link to the eyefinity work around which will;

  1. Get all friend/enemy indicators to appear on all 3 screens not just the side screens
  2. Get rid of the black screen bug
  3. Fix GPU scaling in quad Crossfire
 
Back
Top