Anyone using

MountainX

Limp Gawd
I would like to purchase several of these hard drives for use with an Areca RAID controller:
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Has anyone had success with this combo? Areca is reporting that some customers have reported compatibility issues but they haven't been confirmed. Meanwhile, a reviewer on NewEgg says,
"Pros: I purchased 8 of these drives for use with an Areca 1231ML and every one of them worked out-of-the-box; not a single DOA. "

Should I give them a try?

Ive heard about the arecas not likeing samsungs but like you said nothing is really confirmed on even reliable information about that.

The Samsung F1's are my favorite 1TB right now.

A lot of these musings about hard drives are based out of personal experience and rumor; I've personally bought eight 750GB Samsung Spinpoint F1s and they all work fine; others would have bad experiences with some I'm sure, either as a result of user error or inherent defects.

This goes for any hard drive manufacturer, there are those who would swear by WD, Seagate, Maxtor, Hitachi, or Samsung while others would shun certain brands. As long as the general consensus that you can find about these particular Samsung drives are good (there will always be one or two negative reviews due to DOA or early disk crashes), then you should be fine. :)

So you think the reported (possible) incompatibility is not really a concern? If so, I tend to agree because one person did report good results with the Areca controller and these drives.

I mean with an drive/controller setup you look at there will always be those anomalys...somethings just dont work for some peoples setup's blame it on a DOA drive, faulty controller, drivers, OS, mobo, bios the list goes on of possible causes of these reported issues...every complaint that is on newegg reviews about drives controllers just about everyone is because something was DOA or the combo they used just didnt work but thats not to say that it is the drives or the controllers fault. Those reviews really say nothing about their situation other than they had to do something else. For example i have a SIIG 2 port sata controller i bought to put into an older computer that did not have onboard sata...when i put my WD80gb it would not boot...so i switched in a 250gb seagate i had laying around booted right up. I thought this was weird so i took the card put it in my other system put the WD back on it and i could boot from it...That goes to say the issue was specific to that specific system. There are just too many variables these days, and sometimes things just dont go the way we want them. All this to say I wouldnt hesitate from buying an areca(one of the best cards) and samsung F1's(my favorite 1tb ATM)

I installed the Samsung drives with my ARC-1220. I installed Ubuntu server, but as soon as I installed it, I changed my mind and decided change my partitioning scheme. So I started reinstalling Ubuntu (which doesn't take long) and in the middle of the install one of the Samsung drives dropped out.

Should I return it for a replacement or use different drives (return all of the Samsungs)?

Someone else just posted about problems with these drives and Areca controllers today.

I installed the Samsung drives with my ARC-1220. I installed Ubuntu server, but as soon as I installed it, I changed my mind and decided change my partitioning scheme. So I started reinstalling Ubuntu (which doesn't take long) and in the middle of the install one of the Samsung drives dropped out.

Should I return it for a replacement or use different drives (return all of the Samsungs)?

Someone else just posted about problems with these drives and Areca controllers today.

Replace your drives, that is about all I can suggest. You could always replace your controller with something like an adaptec... but personally I'd replace the drives and solve the problem.

I recomend Seagates as they work great on the Arecas.

Back