Anyone using ST4000VN000 ?

Flintstone

Limp Gawd
My 2TB HDDs are dying... One died while replacing another one here now in one of my 10 disk RAIDZ2 configurations, and I really have to do something with my setup (as well as cross my fingers for the next 8hrs or so - 10% done of 16TB...)

Anyone using or planing on installing ST4000VN000 yet? To me this seems like the only logical option at the moment...

I ordered a few yesterday. They probably won't arrive before the weekend, so I can't comment on how they work yet. I look forward to comparing them with my WD REDs.

Yes, I have 20+ All tested perfectly on a 4 pass badblocks run and are all alive and well with ZFS after 4 weeks.

I'll have 4 of them very soon. Going to throw them in mdadm raid6. Was going for Hitachi 5k4000 but they disappeared completely (here in Finland at least).

Great guys, I'll try to aquire 8 of them. I'm leaning towards 8+8+8 raidz2 arrays instead of 10 disk since the rebuild times should be faster, might be a bit faster than 10 disks, possible to get a whole array on one controller, and it suits a possible 24-disk case better for the future.

I have one that I ordered to replace a ST4000DX000 in my ZFS RAIDZ3 setup. Seems fine. No complaints.

Great guys, I'll try to aquire 8 of them. I'm leaning towards 8+8+8 raidz2 arrays instead of 10 disk since the rebuild times should be faster, might be a bit faster than 10 disks, possible to get a whole array on one controller, and it suits a possible 24-disk case better for the future.

You should read the ZFS best practices. I think you will find 8 disk raidz2 slower than 10 disk raidz2 with these 4k disks

Do you have any reference to this.

I based my thinking on what sub.mesa said around the time I configured my 2TB drives (3 yrs ago) so things might have changed.

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1036395973&postcount=63

"128KiB for 10-disk RAID-Z2 = 128KiB / 8 = 16KiB. Ideally you want drives to be handling chunks of 32KiB - 128KiB for optimal performance."

Take a look at this post

Based on the example above, an 8 drive raidz2 vdev: 128K/(8-2)=21.3K = Bad alignment, not a multiple of 4K

In a 10 drive raidz2 vdev: 128K/(10-2)=128/8=16K

Ah :) Probably the reason I ended up with 10-disk arrays in the first place :) 3 years goes by so fast!

How is everyone's high fly writes? So far I filled the drive twice and there are 34 (0x22) counts of high fly writes.

I have just bought five of these drives and am currently showing 7, 14, 14, 21, 64 high fly errors. The rest of the SMART attributes are fine.

I am thinking that perhaps this is vibration related. It is (hopefully) unlikely that I have five broken drives!

I've ordered 6 myself, 2 of them have 1 high fly write error each over the last week. It's been a long while since I've bought new hard drives, so I'm still running tests on these and trying to better understand the smart values.

Back