Anyone Using Slingboxes

Rustynuts

[H]F Junkie
The newer 350/500 models?

I may have to maintain two homes for awhile moving for new job. Have current Verizon FIOS w/ DVRs, etc. Was thinking of doing a slingbox for remote viewing at new place. Not sure if the one viewer per DVR box thing will work though since the wife/kids aren't moving right away. Any tricks to allow this? The older units you could split the feed somehow(?). Do the new ones still require the stupid IR transmitter to control the DVR (like the diagram), or does the 500 w/ HDMI somehow do this? Probably not since the 500 has an IR port in back.

59992side4big.jpg

There is no way to do more than one viewer at a time other than if you setup another receiver just for your sling box.

Also the HDMI on the new ones still can't sling protected content (which will be just about everything on FiOS if I'm not mistaken). You're probably best served to setup the slingbox with component video on a box that the wife and kids won't be using.

Meh, only have 2 DVRs and both are used regularly.

Maybe I could go one multi-room DVR for them and keep one existing DVR just for the Sling. Wonder how they'll rape me on price doing that?

I have the 350 model. Don't need the IR emitter for.my box. Some need it some don't. I think that is more if the slingbox isn't near the receiver (I have my sling box directly on top of the cable box).

Back