Anyone using Nutanix?

Oldie

Mean Old Administrator
Staff member
Is anyone on here using Nutanix and willing to discuss it (privately is fine). I'm fairly interested in it and have been through some in person sessions with their reps. They certainly have some good case studies out there but I was wondering what negatives some of the folks using it have come across. Anyone?

Top secret dirty laundry. No normal person would be secret of good things.

He had a good reason and it was nothing negative. :)

I guess while we're on the subject, how many of you guys have even heard of it? I got my first wind about 6 months ago and it looks pretty sweet. It's a very similar model for how Google handles their datacenters but is surprisingly scalable down to smaller environments. Pretty interesting stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/user/Nutanix

It pretty much gets rid of the need for a SAN by putting DAS in each host and creating redundancy between them and there's no traditional RAID either. So you get all of the benefits like HA, live motion, load balancing, etc... without having centralized storage. I'm NOT a datacenter engineer by any stretch of the imagination but I know some extremely gifted ones and so far they're pretty excited about it. I think the nicest thing is the scalability to be honest. If you need more processing/storage/etc..you just toss on another pod. You can quadruple the capacity of your datacenter very quickly.

Last edited:
We're their #2 partner..maybe #1 now. Good stuff. Been around a while. Like the management team and founders. Solid tech. Like what they are doing with their own KVM-based hypervisor.

You guys kill me...lol...ooooh Vader PM'd Oldie...must be some secret sauce happening here...lol.

Seriously, if you want to know more about Nutanix, just go to our website...and you'll get the Nutanix in 30 seconds video..very simple explanation of what we provide and where we are going. There are no secrets, we are very transparent.

As Jason points out, Sirius is a great partner for us and understands the benefits of the vision of Invisible Infrastructure.

What I want to point out is that contrary to what you see on Social, etc, it's not Nutanix VS VMware. In fact VMware runs on the majority of our customer base and we have certified and continue to certify our solution with VMware, APIs..that's not to say there isn't "coopetition, however"

Having said that we also want to provide choice.

Acropolis is the FIRST and ONLY solution where we bring the Hypervisor into the INF layer because that's where we think it belongs and that's how we get single mgmt construct around your INF and Hypervisor layer.

2vxpy4l.png

Hyper-convergence, while important and we continue to innovate there, we have moved beyond that and we have a complete vision of bringing simplicity and delight to our customers not just through the INF stack but moving into Application Mobility (AMF) etc, just ask them...and you'll see. Nutanix is not a "storage" company and it makes me chuckle when I see comparisons of storage vs Nutanix, we are much more than that and bring much more than a storage platform and the argument of "well, I just need storage" is not reality. When I go into opportunities and they say that, at the end of the meeting, they are thinking...and the feedback is, "wow, Nutanix is much more than storage and now has me thinking about 're-platforming' my DC to obtain all the benefits it can provide."

This is just the beginning for us.

Last edited:
Back