anyone using an SSD? did you align partitions to erase blocks?

graysky

Gawd
I'm waiting on the 2nd gen Intel SSDs to make a purchase. In the meantime, I'm reading up on these things and have found numerous sources that suggest aligning partitions on SSD's to the erase block of the device. I found two major sources detailing the process. This one shows a setup using parted and explains the process (under Linux).

I'm just posting to solicit feedback from the community on this issue. Does Aloisio have it right in that blog post?

Well im not going to read that, but you need to align the partitions if thats what you are asking.
If you have Win7 its done for you.
If you have something else you must manually do it.

Vista does a better job at alignment than xp but its still not right

Vista was designed before ssd's

What about running x25s in raid 0, will the W7 recognize the drive still?

Does Windows 7 automatically do all this 4k alignment On a NON TRIM SSD?
I just installed a Kingston SSD NOW V 128GB and did a new install on my Turion X2
laptop. I let Windows 7 64 bit do all the partition and formating automatically.

Thank for any info.

I just installed a Kingston SSD NOW V 128GB and did a new install on my Turion X2
laptop. I let Windows 7 64 bit do all the partition and formating automatically.

Thank for any info.

Windows 7 and 2008 R2 use a default partition alignment of 1024kb

Short Answer YES

Thank for any info.

TRIM has nothing to do with partition alignment.

Can someone post decent links to posts or web pages that explain TRIM and align?

Back