Anyone using a new processor driver?

[F2C]MaDMaXX

Limp Gawd
I've recently upgraded to the Athlon II X3 and under win7 64 it's using an older driver from 2006.

Is there a newer driver available for it?

As Crispy already mentioned, there are no CPU drivers. Are you talking about some sort of feature-set utility?

i believe that driver is to make dual cores visible in a windows environment , at one point some AMD dual cores only were one core in Windows

as for CPU Drivers, its more of a compatablity thing microsoft adds, there arnt CPU drivers themself, the support for CPUs are included in the operating system(note that that driver example is 2 years old, ment for an OS that came out ~8 years ago)

Perhaps i should of specified that they're for extra features of the cpu's. Not the basics.

So yeah, i'm after any drivers updated since MS wrote them in windows 7.

Thanks.

As Crispy already mentioned, there are no CPU drivers. Are you talking about some sort of feature-set utility?

Actually it is a driver...

Of course the OS can communicate with the CPU without it, BUT it can also communicate with a video card without a driver on a basic level.

pcgeek11

Actually it is a driver...

Of course the OS can communicate with the CPU without it, BUT it can also communicate with a video card without a driver on a basic level.

pcgeek11

I stand corrected, I was under the impression it was a utility program.

[F2C]MaDMaXX;1035161194 said:
Perhaps i should of specified that they're for extra features of the cpu's. Not the basics.

So yeah, i'm after any drivers updated since MS wrote them in windows 7.

Thanks.

Microsoft didn't write the drivers. There is nothing you need to install.

You don't need updated drivers. Nothing has changed. They're very basic and thus likely to be bug-free. They often go un-updated for years.

when i changed my x2 5200 to an athlon 2 x2 250 i was looking for a windows 7 cpu driver as well, assuming there would be one on the amd site. seems the new cpus dont need anything more than windows has built in as amd doesnt even have the option to download any other driver for the newer cpus. i think for the most part the other drivers were needed as xp had issues with multicores.

yes there use to be cpu drivers.. back during the windows xp and xp sp1 days.. but that was fixed with xp sp2 and and the problem never existed with windows vista or windows 7.. hence why it shows a driver version from 2006.. thats when the problem was fixed originally..

XP always needed the cpu drivers no matter the version otherwise the power saving stuff never worked correctly. But it does seem that all that tech has remained the same, thus no drivers required since the '96 update.

http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/dyn...cd2c08-1432-4756-aafa-4d9dc646342f&ItemID=173

Someone better tell AMD there's no such thing as processor drivers...

The description clearly states that the only thing this driver does is to "allow the system to automatically adjust the CPU speed, voltage and power combination to match the instantaneous user performance need.". Vista and Win7 already support this out of the box. They also support 2 and 4 cores without bugs or issues that need fixing.

Hmm this is news for me that the CPU requires a driver.
Well if its already in the Win7, so Kool...

Back