Anyone use Ad-Aware Plus?

djdk

Limp Gawd
Just curious, it claims to block spyware in realtime like a/v software does. I can't seem to find much info on how effective it is and how heavy (or light) it is on the system resources.

I've used it, it was pretty slick. Everytime something tried to change the registry it would tell you what program was doing it and you could allow this to happen or not.

Peace

I've never used the real time feature. I just run the system scans and I can tell you that if the spyware is allowed to build up, you can get tons of unwanted browser pop-ups catered to your "tastes", etc. It does a wonderful job on the smart system scan

I used to be a fan of Ad Aware, but after trying out Webroots Spy Sweeper, I ain't going back to Ad Aware. The last one I used was Ad Aware Version 6. I dunno why but it would never pick up any Spywares. When I scanned my computer with Spy Sweeper, it picked up 15 spywares!!! Now I can finally use my IE. Before, my IE would be booted to some weird search engine. My homepage was suppose to be Google, but it kept on bringing me to Google Dutch, WTF!

I run the Pro version and I usually run the real time blocker (Ad-Watch) when I remember to turn it on. Sometimes it is a pain to run at startup, so I do it manually. It has a problem of crashing and turning itself off when it detects something really harmful, but still blocks the malware even then. Ad-Watch and the Registry cleaner are really the only differences between the free version and the Pro except for the early notification and downloads of a newer available versions several days before it hits their public site. Not really worth paying the difference for IMO.

Originally posted by Chelica
I used to be a fan of Ad Aware, but after trying out Webroots Spy Sweeper, I ain't going back to Ad Aware. The last one I used was Ad Aware Version 6. I dunno why but it would never pick up any Spywares. When I scanned my computer with Spy Sweeper, it picked up 15 spywares!!! Now I can finally use my IE. Before, my IE would be booted to some weird search engine. My homepage was suppose to be Google, but it kept on bringing me to Google Dutch, WTF!

lol... i havn't heard many good things about Webroots Spy Sweeper, mind you, i havn't heard many bad things either.

try "Spybot Search & Destroy"... it's by far the best program out there for spyware. Developed my some german genious coder with waaaaay to much time on his hands... completely free. Has alot of reallly kickass advanced features too.

It's good, no doubt about that, but I run not only Spybot....I also run AdAware as stated and PestPatrol. Each will find something the other did not, not one will locate every infestation. I tried running them in different orders, but it doesn't matter...they all have different definitions and will find only what they are programmed to do. The more the merrier :)

Originally posted by Iconz1
Spybot S&D, hands down.

Nope, tried Spybot Search and Destroy, but no luck. SB did not clean up those spyware. Seriously tho, my IE was jacked up. It would take hellllla long for it to load a page, any page. I tried using many things to clean it up. I used Spybot, Ad Aware, Clean Disk, Tune Up utilities, nothing worked. I purchased Spy Sweeper and it cleaned up 15 spywares and my IE is useable again.

It is not like I use IE or anything, I am fine with Firebird, but knowing that my IE is clean is a good thing.

Not sure why people do not like Spy Sweeper, I think it is better than Ad Aware hands down. The Version 6 Pro for Ad Aware is about the same price.

Back