Anyone use a UPS with their game consoles?

Eklipto

Limp Gawd
Just curious..

I've always been a firm beleiver in the use of a UPS (Uninteruptible Power Supply) for most of my PC's. They have saved me countless times with the shaky power in my area.

I was thinking the other day while playing my Gamecube, it had been a while since I last saved, what if the power went out? All my progress would be gone.

Since a single game console doesn't consume that much power, a smaller, not too expensive UPS may be a good idea.
Do the manufacturers of the current consoles even recommend the use of a UPS?

It couldn't hurt, right? It would protect against a power outage, at the same time I assume it would help deliver clean power to the console.

Well, while it sounds like a good idea think about this:
Most computers can run software provided with the UPS that in the event of the power failure, eveything will be saved automatically and the system shut down. The UPS isent really designed for working while the powers out. Since a console cant run this software, you would have to plug a TV into the UPS to do it before the power gives on the UPS so you can see how to save. Most UPS's dont work well with TVs since they have such a high draw. so i dont think this would work to good

Originally posted by Eklipto
Just curious..

I've always been a firm beleiver in the use of a UPS (Uninteruptible Power Supply) for most of my PC's. They have saved me countless times with the shaky power in my area.

I was thinking the other day while playing my Gamecube, it had been a while since I last saved, what if the power went out? All my progress would be gone.

Since a single game console doesn't consume that much power, a smaller, not too expensive UPS may be a good idea.
Do the manufacturers of the current consoles even recommend the use of a UPS?

It couldn't hurt, right? It would protect against a power outage, at the same time I assume it would help deliver clean power to the console.

Take one of your beloved UPS and try it out?

Well, while it sounds like a good idea think about this:
Most computers can run software provided with the UPS that in the event of the power failure, eveything will be saved automatically and the system shut down. The UPS isent really designed for working while the powers out. Since a console cant run this software, you would have to plug a TV into the UPS to do it before the power gives on the UPS so you can see how to save. Most UPS's dont work well with TVs since they have such a high draw. so i dont think this would work to good

True, but I never run that software on my computers anyway. I'm usually around when the power goes out so I can do everything manually. Plus, the power rarely goes out for more than 20 minutes at a time. So even if I'm away (I usually turn my monitors off when I leave) the UPS can keep the computer running until the power is restored.

As far as using it with a console I dont plan on it being protection agianst long outages. But rather the short outages (more common where I live) and brownouts. It would be able to keep the console running until the power comes back on, then I turn on the TV and save game.

Take one of your beloved UPS and try it out?

And do what? Wait for a power failure?
I'm merely looking for people who may have used a UPS with their console(s) before.

Originally posted by Eklipto
And do what? Wait for a power failure?
I'm merely looking for people who may have used a UPS with their console(s) before.

You could just unplug it.

I used an APC Smart-UPS 400 on my 32" TV and PS2. No problems with overcurrent. It actually kept the TV running for 10 minutes.

I am in Orlando FL .... Lighting Captial..... I have lost 4 Power supplies on my PC alone until I got a UPS for ma pc. I don't leave my consoles plugged in anymore. If I had the money I would most certainly put the cash in to getting a good UPS for my video game systems.

Back