• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Anyone try F.lux?

The Doctor

Weaksauce
Joined
Apr 16, 2010
Messages
107
I recently stumbled upon this program.

http://www.stereopsis.com/flux/

from the website:

F.lux fixes this: it makes the color of your computer's display adapt to the time of day, warm at night and like sunlight during the day.

It's even possible that you're staying up too late because of your computer. You could use f.lux because it makes you sleep better, or you could just use it just because it makes your computer look better.



Try it out and tell me what you guys think. I'm giving it a go right now too. BTW do NOT use this ever if you're editing photos or in any situation where you need accurate color tones.
 
I used it for a while at my office. I found it pretty cool at first but I later grew annoyed of it because of the noticeable slow down that would occur as it attempted to change color as the sun went down. If it weren't for that slowdown I wouldn't mind using it again.
 
I use it on all my devices and love it.

My recommendation is to set it to the "slow" option so the transition occurs gradually over an hour (rather than a minute)
 
I used it for a while at my office. I found it pretty cool at first but I later grew annoyed of it because of the noticeable slow down that would occur as it attempted to change color as the sun went down. If it weren't for that slowdown I wouldn't mind using it again.

If you change the transition setting to "slow", it transitions over the course of an hour leading up to sunset.

I use f.lux on my desktop and love it. The mouse pointer's color doesn't change however, which is incredibly annoying. Also, turning the computer on in the middle of the night kind of sucks, because the program has to "catch up" to its night setting. Minor nitpicks for an otherwise fantastic program. Much easier on the eyes during those late night work sessions.
 
If you change the transition setting to "slow", it transitions over the course of an hour leading up to sunset.

I use f.lux on my desktop and love it. The mouse pointer's color doesn't change however, which is incredibly annoying. Also, turning the computer on in the middle of the night kind of sucks, because the program has to "catch up" to its night setting. Minor nitpicks for an otherwise fantastic program. Much easier on the eyes during those late night work sessions.
You can use the Windows Magnifier (set to 100%) to temporarily fix the cursor.
For a more permanent fix, you can set the MouseTrails to -1 via the Registry. (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Mouse)

However some full-screen applications/games won't display a cursor at all when you do this, so I suggest using the magnifier set to "full screen" mode, at 100%.
 
Been using f.lux on my computers and cell phones for years. It's always one of the first tweaks I install.
 
I can't believe Apple still doesn't allow it to be on the AppStore.

Only reason I use a jailbroken iPhone is f.lux
 
The basic concept is sound since blue light does reduce melatonin production for quite a while but I just change the color temp manually when I want to browse before I go to sleep or whatever and then change it back later. Not like its hard to do.

edit:\/\/\/\/\/flux changes color temp and brightness, its the color temp that is the biggest advantage IMO because of the effect of blue light on melatonin production, more reading
 
Last edited:
tried flux before, didn't notice any difference in comfort. think it's intended for people who don't know how to use the brightness adjustment on their monitor.
 
I keep it off the boot list, but its nice to have for browsing and such before bed.

Benq and other companies put "low blue light" modes in their monitors. Probably because F.lux became so popular
 
I would use it but it lacks the option to set the clocks manually. Since I live in Finland its dark most of the day at winter. When i go to work its black as night and same when i come back home, even though its more than 5 hours to actual night and time to sleep. That means the monitor was practically always red through the winter.

I could cheat the program a bit by setting my location to london or something to make reddening time something more sensible but not being allowed to set the exact time yourself is moronic. Optimally i would make it slowly go red at 9 a clock at evening before i go to sleep at 10-10:30 during working weeks. That is my schelude, where the sun is is irrelevant.
 
I would use it but it lacks the option to set the clocks manually. Since I live in Finland its dark most of the day at winter. When i go to work its black as night and same when i come back home, even though its more than 5 hours to actual night and time to sleep. That means the monitor was practically always red through the winter.

I could cheat the program a bit by setting my location to london or something to make reddening time something more sensible but not being allowed to set the exact time yourself is moronic. Optimally i would make it slowly go red at 9 a clock at evening before i go to sleep at 10-10:30 during working weeks. That is my schelude, where the sun is is irrelevant.
The Mac version is better for this, but I agree. Flux is no good for many areas of the world at certain times of the year due to how it works.

You can use RedShift to achieve the same thing as Flux, but manually.
Create a shortcut and in the target add -O 3500K or whatever your desired target is. -x will clear it.
Not ideal since it's manual (though you can schedule a task to run it) and it doesn't monitor things to keep the LUT active if it gets reset, but at least you get some control over it.
 
Fulx sucks but just masks the underlying problems which is LCDs in general.
Plus it' resets Nvidia gamma and tones it down from there plus it's a pain to uninstall because it messes with your color profiles.

Just get a low blue light monitor put setting to cool or warm hope for the best =)
oh yeah take your supplements
Cirtric Magnesium Luetin and Cod liver oil
 
Back
Top