Anyone still have a BeBox?

NulloModo

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey,

Not sure how many of you remember or ever used it, but a few years back there was a great operating system called BeOS that never quite got off the ground. It has a lot of the features that make MacOS wonderful before MacOS ever had them, and it ran on very low end hardware well.

I've had an old PII - 333Mhz system sitting in my closet for a while and I just recently remembered I had BeOS installed on a second partition on the HD. That has been enough for me to decide to get it hooked up somewhere and play around with it again, but I am wondering about useful things I can do with it.

Does anyone here still have BeOS installed anywhere? What's there to do with it that's worthwhile nowadays?

I haven't messed with it in a while, but I used to play with both BeOS and QNX. They were both pretty cool.

I even attempted to only use BeOS and nothing else. That worked out for a bit, but couldn't stand that Opera and Mozilla were not pushing out versions for it fast enough.

BeOS was awesome, but unfortuneatly its pretty difficult to get working properly with newer hardware, since development was halted when it was bought by Palm. Another company is developing a clone of BeOS from scratch, called Zeta. It looks promising.

Back