Anyone see/use Server 08 Foundations Edition?

I'm using it in a really small family business. DNS, DHCP, AD, Fileserver, and it holds the main Quickbooks install works great.

so its Server 08 with a 15 user limit? Does it have any other features strapped out of it?

do you have to go through a bunch of wizards, ala SBS, or is just same setup as server 03/server 08?

can you get to group policy management in it?

Exactly what you said is what i want it for, just a central location for files and such.

so its Server 08 with a 15 user limit? Does it have any other features strapped out of it?

do you have to go through a bunch of wizards, ala SBS, or is just same setup as server 03/server 08?

can you get to group policy management in it?

Exactly what you said is what i want it for, just a central location for files and such.

The best way I can describe it is Server 2008 Standard missing the high end features. The box is about 45 min away from me at a clients. But for a simple server its great. It cost about the same as Win 7 Pro and gave me all the core Server Features I wanted.

Wow that sounds like a sales pitch. But its not I'm just so happy that there is a basic version of a server OS to use for the those basic things.

I'm starting to do a fair amount of consulting in Rural Iowa. They don't need SBS or email or databases they just want a place to store files and run their POS systems. If they want email I tend just to buy a domain and tie it to google docs.

These are small 1-10 people companies and mom and pop shops.

My major complaint about foundation is that its only available through major OEMS! I cant just purchase the software and install in on my server... This is what I was told by my MS rep. From what he said they are getting quite a few complaints about this so it may change in the future, we will see....

Joe...

yeah proposed it to a client, i see it for sale online =)
was able to drop down the server cost from 2700 to 1700, mind you differemnt models but for what they 5 people are doing I just wanted AD and File

yeah proposed it to a client, i see it for sale online =)
was able to drop down the server cost from 2700 to 1700, mind you differemnt models but for what they 5 people are doing I just wanted AD and File

All the ones I have seen are are Lenovo SKU's, some of them list Spanish as the language... Where are you gonna order yours? I have a client who wants RDS/AD for 5 to ten users but is choking on the $2000.00 worth of licenses!

Joe...

I build all my small bus clients on Dell T110 quad core and 4 gig of ram ~800 before drives and most of my clients are running with Mirrored 500's. It takes quite a few excel files to fill up 500 gigs :p

Yes I know,

These are all the same Lenovo SKU 84978GS (note the S indicates spanish), thats why I was asking where you were getting yours...

If you are just ordering from Dell, then great....

As I can use Google as well, I already new this which is why I was asking you since you stated you were getting it off the net.

Provantage, Lenovo SKU Spanish language
Howard tech, Lenovo SKU Spanish language
Alright Deals, Lenovo SKU Spanish language
Capitol Supply, same
Vixity, same
alvio, same...

Joe...

Back