Anyone remember the name of the 3D file/folder browser?

Nazo

2[H]4U
It's probably not very useful, but, I remember once a long time ago I happened upon a software that would sort of explore your harddrive with a three dimensional representation of the folders and files which I thought was kind of neat -- especially as something to sort of show off with. ^_^ I thought it'd be neat to look up such a thing again, but, so far my searches haven't turned up any useful results (the closest being a so-called 3d photo viewer which is 100% 2d as nearly as I could tell and also 100% unreleated to what I'm actually looking for.)

Well, the original one I tried was years ago and it ran tolerably on a P3 with a GF2 or something like that. The same thing would be blown away by my current system. I'm hoping such a program might get some small amount of video acceleration however.

Thing is, it's really just for fun, not serious work or something.

Well, this is interesting: link. Don't know how well it works, but it's freeware. Kind of intersting by the pics.

There's one for OSX, 3DOSX that's supposed to be cool. Don't know past that. Again, more for "show off" value than anything I would guess.

You know, I believe that was the very program I first saw in retrospect.

Runs smoothly as silk on my current system of course. Then again, it's definitely a bit on the low-end as far as 3D goes for a system that runs games like Doom 3 smoothly at highest settings... ^_^

Thanks for the link. How'd you find it btw? Assuming you ran a search on google. I never could figure out what keywords to use...

This might not be what you're looking for, since it's not a way to explore your hard drive in 3D. However, this is by far the best 3D program I have found. What this program does is allow you to have a 3D virtual desktop, and will allow you to walk around as if in a FPS game, and run your programs from application icons inside the 3D world. You can also decorate your little "house" with pictures of your choice on the walls and what-not. You should seriously give it a try, it's very impressive. :)

http://www.3dna.net/

They also have a freeware version too... which is always a good thing!

edit: try out the spaceship one if you decide to download it!

Matrox462 said:
This might not be what you're looking for, since it's not a way to explore your hard drive in 3D. However, this is by far the best 3D program I have found. What this program does is allow you to have a 3D virtual desktop, and will allow you to walk around as if in a FPS game, and run your programs from application icons inside the 3D world. You can also decorate your little "house" with pictures of your choice on the walls and what-not. You should seriously give it a try, it's very impressive. :)

http://www.3dna.net/

They also have a freeware version too... which is always a good thing!

edit: try out the spaceship one if you decide to download it!

have you run this? It looks badass! but my lappy doesnt have enough ram. I might try it on my gaming rig. Anyone tried this? gotta screenie of it in use?

JL_Audio_User said:
have you run this? It looks badass! but my lappy doesnt have enough ram. I might try it on my gaming rig. Anyone tried this? gotta screenie of it in use?

i tried that one once, i thought it was pretty neat, you can play basketball on one of the theams, that was neat, overall, i wouldn't want to chew the resourses up, but it was neat, give it a try what do you have to lose

JL_Audio_User said:
PM me your e-mail address (don't just post it, spammers utilize google/etc and get e-mail that way) and I'll send screenshots from my system of 3DNa. If you want of course. Prefer full resolution (my "full" resolution is 1440x1080.) Basically think Microsoft Bob, only a little less annoying, and a lot more 3D.

Anyway, kind of neat, though I must admit it has a few bugs. When I put in an icon or a shortcut it doesn't like, it just kind of goes crazy with the system message beeps as if there were some invisible error message in the background. Anyway, checking out the other one now... It looks more useful.

EDIT: Either I misunderstood the screenshots, or SphereXP is next to useless... It will take a screenshot of your desktop and put that in a 3D sphere, which is nice and all, but, you can't REALLY actually even do anything. For example, it showed my browser on here, but, I couldn't even make it active, much less type any text or visit any pages. Plus it has this annoying flicker thing going... Ah well. I guess if you needed to compare two things directly side-by-side it would be nice. You could get up close to one, look around a bit, then just turn towards the other and look at it. Only thing I could think of where you'd want to do that would be text though, and you'd only fit one screen at a time with no scrolling, so, I just don't know what else you'd do with it.

EDIT2: Just playing around with 3DNa still. Interestingly enough, it's actually only using about 32MB of my system memory right now. Not bad. CPU usage is frighteningly high though. Actually hitting in the 60 percentile range... For a barton running at 2250 MHz, that's a bit on the surprising side. Don't know if it's my resolution or what.

Nazo said:
Thanks for the link. How'd you find it btw? Assuming you ran a search on google. I never could figure out what keywords to use...
I think I used "windows 3d file viewer" on Google and waded through a few results. PM a few pics of that viewer if you have a few minutes.

JL_Audio_User said:

Yep, I used to use it :)

I imagine it would work on your laptop as long as it has a decent graphics processor.

arkamw said:
I think I used "windows 3d file viewer" on Google and waded through a few results. PM a few pics of that viewer if you have a few minutes.

I don't really have a decent host atm. PM me your e-mail address and I'll send a few your way.

I must have missed something on that SphereXP because the author talks as if it can actually be used more the way I thought it was supposed to be. I just can't figure out how if it can really be.

I guess 3DNa doesn't need much by way of graphics to be honest. An uber GF2 (also known as GF4 MX thanks to marketing li- uh, hype) might pull it off. It says it only needs a 1GHz CPU (well, NEEDS 500MHz, recommends 1GHz, but, I can't imagine running this thing on a 500MHz system with any semblance of smoothness,) so maybe the 60% utilization hit I see is either something more related to my resolution or something, or it's using a relatively, but, not entirely high resolution timer or something with only the occasional sleep cycle thrown in. It is a bit game-like in some respects, so that may be necessary.

PS. I'm now using the Loft "world" with a downloaded canyon sky and the Forbidden Copse theme and it looks pretty nice IMO. Too bad you're expected to pay $30 for the priveledge of things like the dynamic skies, but, I just don't see myself paying that much for what is essentially just a toy. A neat little toy, but, a toy.

Nazo said:
I guess 3DNa doesn't need much by way of graphics to be honest. An uber GF2 (also known as GF4 MX thanks to marketing li- uh, hype) might pull it off.

Yep, you're right. When I used it, I used to have a GeForce4 MX 420, and it worked fine. I now have a GeForce 6800 GT, which probably wouldn't even break a sweat with 3DNA.

Back