Anyone playing FFXI Online?

Sky15

2[H]4U
Is anyone here playing FFXI? I know it's ancient; 11 years old, but it seems to be the most unique MMO out.

I've heard it's actually pretty easy to solo now, and quick to hit lvl 99.

I've been playing the FFXIV and I'm just not feeling it, the combat system to me is just meh. I'm hoping it's all fine tuned once they release it, but I'm not holding my breath until after launch.

11's combat was kind of meh imo, 14's was more to my liking. I'm thinking (a lot of) people will move over to 14 once open beta finally hits.

I remember logging into FFXI and just seeing a constant stream of kekekekeke and weird emoti-faces and not being able to talk to anyone. Reliving that has kept me away from XIV.

I remember logging into FFXI and just seeing a constant stream of kekekekeke and weird emoti-faces and not being able to talk to anyone. Reliving that has kept me away from XIV.

the games couldnt be more different. that includes separate servers from jap/eur...

I used to play FFXI, definitely my favorite MMORPG I have played. It was brutal though...losing 20% of your level with each death made one of my buddies beat his keyboard against the table, keys flying everywhere, years ago. Good memories :p

When there were groups of high levels camping the entry level areas for rare spawns I said screw it but played for a couple more months because of friends. Worse waste of 2 months of my life. The game stunk, the community was worse, and the amount of racism and spawn camping the worse of any game ever.

Turned me off to the whole FF mmo franchise.

When there were groups of high levels camping the entry level areas for rare spawns I said screw it but played for a couple more months because of friends. Worse waste of 2 months of my life. The game stunk, the community was worse, and the amount of racism and spawn camping the worse of any game ever.

It's nothing like that anymore.

I had forgotten the racism. If you asked for a group in the public channels, the amount of "fuck you american" that would stream across the screen was ridiculous. The overwhelming racism was not something I expected at all.

I had forgotten the racism. If you asked for a group in the public channels, the amount of "fuck you american" that would stream across the screen was ridiculous. The overwhelming racism was not something I expected at all.

They split the servers so you don't play with Japanese anymore. But yea, that would have pissed me off

Playing the XIV beta really made me appreciate FF11's epic sense of depth, I'm not gonna miss the stupid xp grind or 3 hour HNM camps though.

It's not actual racism, just people in general being fucktards. When Asian players first came to EQ1/DAoC they were treated like shit too(at least on my server), funny how the table had turned a few years later.

Last edited:
I used to play FFXI with a UK friend a long time ago. It felt like a poorly adapted console port. Needed to use third-party utilities to get decent resolution and controls otherwise it was borderline unplayable.

Gameplay itself was okay, the graphics were okay too, but the world itself felt dead. It didn't manage to keep my interest for more than few weeks in the end :)

Back