Anyone played Crysis Warhead on a 680?

murkris118

Limp Gawd
So installed Crysis Warhead today and found out that the game runs horribly on my 680 at Enthusiast settings. Now there is definitely a problem here as I am playing all other games maxed out at 1080p BF3, Crysis 2, Metro 2033 (DOF off) with very few fps drops. The game lags quite badly even on the startup splash screen when it goes "EA!!, Crytek, NVIDIA The way its meant to be played" woo hoo thing!!.... Now is there something wrong with the game or do I have to do some tweaks before playing it?... I am pretty sure a 680 can handle this game maxed out although I have heard that anti-aliasing gives quite a beating to the GPU.

If anybody had problems with this game on a High end GPU please help me with suggestions on how to make this game run better....

Define "horribly". Sorry man, but you're leaving us guessing at what you mean.

Offhand, I notice your sig says your i5-2500K is running at stock.

Also, are you using DX9 or DX10?

Last edited:
Define "horribly". Sorry man, but you're leaving us guessing at what you mean.

Offhand, I notice your sig says your i5-2500K is running at stock.

Yes, you are right my CPU is running at stock but if you look at what mobo I am having, you would not have asked the question :D.... got the mobo by mistake thinking that the H77 chipset is overclockable. Gonna run the cpu at stock till I get a new mobo which I am not sure when.... is Warhead heavily CPU dependent?.

The game LAGS (seems to me like 30-45 fps) even at the splash screen and it lags during the first scene where the marines come out of the aircraft. Sorry but I only started this game and immediately noticed the lag on the first scene that is why I posted. I am running the game at Enthusiast settings at 1080p. I am running the game in DX10.

Last edited:
thats crazy... i have a 670 i gotta install crysis warhead again to try it out lol

I read that many people have problems with the game especially the 24Hz bug but I am not sure whether it applies to 60Hz monitors rather than HDTV`s nor have I tried monitoring the frames during gameplay. I just noticed lag immediately when I started the game. Did not have time to monitor fps. Other problems reported are VSync reduces fps in Crysis 1 and Warhead including anything higher than 4xMSAA severely affects performance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJMj54QlXV4&feature=g-upl

If the problem is what I posted there then you need to reduce your mouses poll rate, there's a bug in the Nvidia drivers which effects some games (Crysis, Borderlands 1) in which a high poll rate on your mouse (and I assume keyboard) causes the entire scene to stutter all over the place.

If the problem is what I posted there then you need to reduce your mouses poll rate, there's a bug in the Nvidia drivers which effects some games (Crysis, Borderlands 1) in which a high poll rate on your mouse (and I assume keyboard) causes the entire scene to stutter all over the place.

But I am using a gamepad.. will this be applicable to that?...

It`s pretty damn stable.. I got 1408 points in Heaven maxed out without crashing. I also play all games maxed out avg 60 fps with occasional dips in intensive games.

Possibly if the device is polling at a rate in excess of 125hz.

Oh, ok. I am using a PS3 controller using Motionjoy.... Do you have any idea as to what the polling rate of the controller is?.

No issues here on my machine, i5 2500k at 4.2GHz and GTX 670 2GB at 2560x1600, max graphics settings and 4xMSAA. I'm sure the stock CPU speed is holding you back some.

No issues here on my machine, i5 2500k at 4.2GHz and GTX 670 2GB at 2560x1600, max graphics settings and 4xMSAA. I'm sure the stock CPU speed is holding you back some.

I guess so.... but many told me that the 2500k even at stock will not bottleneck the 680 nor would it slow down games...:confused:.... is Crysis Warhead that CPU heavy?. although I must say I dont see 100% CPU utilization in it when playing which would be a slam dunk to me that the CPU is holding back.

Could anyone tell me if I would have adverse effects on overclocking the GPU?.. Game insatbility, fps drops, general lag.... etc.... or will it almost always increase performance in most games?. I am starting to wonder if my overclock is unstable leading to the decreased performance..... maybe I ought to pump more volts to the GPU for my overclock to sustain but I am scared to do that because that could most definitely fry the card if something goes wrong.

it depends on how far you push the overclock and how well your card can handle it. could cause constant crashs

Could anyone tell me if I would have adverse effects on overclocking the GPU?.. Game insatbility, fps drops, general lag.... etc.... or will it almost always increase performance in most games?. I am starting to wonder if my overclock is unstable leading to the decreased performance..... maybe I ought to pump more volts to the GPU for my overclock to sustain but I am scared to do that because that could most definitely fry the card if something goes wrong.

The game would crash if your overclock was unstable, simple as that. If its not crashing then you're getting more performance than you would at stock settings.

I guess so.... but many told me that the 2500k even at stock will not bottleneck the 680 nor would it slow down games...:confused:.... is Crysis Warhead that CPU heavy?. although I must say I dont see 100% CPU utilization in it when playing which would be a slam dunk to me that the CPU is holding back.

Crysis is demanding period, GPU and CPU, so any overclocking on both parts is going to give you more performance.

I bet I know your problem and it isn't related to horsepower.
Both Crysis games have issues running at 1080p on monitors that have a 24hz mode.. Many different monitors and TV models detect the games as being a movie, and therefore drop them to 24 frames per second.
The first game can overcome this by hitting ALT+TAB a bunch and finally "tricking" your monitor into dropping out of 24p mode.

Unfortunately that doesn't work in Warhead. The only fixes are to create a custom resolution in the Nvidia Control Panel, run it in a window, or to try a different resolution.

Both Crysis games have issues running at 1080p on monitors that have a 24hz mode.. Many different monitors and TV models detect the games as being a movie, and therefore drop them to 24 frames per second.
The first game can overcome this by hitting ALT+TAB a bunch and finally "tricking" your monitor into dropping out of 24p mode.

Unfortunately that doesn't work in Warhead. The only fixes are to create a custom resolution in the Nvidia Control Panel, run it in a window, or to try a different resolution.

I forgot about that bug but I believe it only affects TV's and not monitors. If I remember correctly, running the game in DX9 instead of DX10 will also fix that problem.

Does the problem disappear in "windowed" mode? I bet it does. Crysis-series bug! I think you can switch full-windowed-full and then it works. Or use DX9.

Yeah tried that and it works!.... Created a custom resolution and all problems gone, unfortunately I uninstalled the game as I did not like to play the original Crysis after playing Crysis 2.. I know weird right :D... I sort of got glued to the post apocalyptic Sci-Fi New York setting which Crysis 1 does not have. Dont get me wrong Crysis 1 is still one of the the most technically brilliant game but I just did not like the island setup having not played Crysis 1 when it released back in 2006. That may well be the reason.

Waiting for Crysis 3!! :D.... Hope my 680 copes well in that.

Back