Anyone play Warhammer Online? Check your bank

inotocracy

Supreme [H]ardness
Apparently their billing system went awol and charged people upwards of 17 times in a single month. The screenshots in these threads are insane., e.g...

http://img180.imageshack.us/i/wtfmythic.gif/ and http://i559.photobucket.com/albums/ss37/SetiteTzimisce/b8962f61.jpg

http://forums.warhammeronline.com/warhammer/board/message?board.id=p2psupport&thread.id=15916

I'd be really pissed off. Imagine the overdraft fees if you had a low amount in your bank, and they went and charged ~$500 in $15 increments? Yikes! Hopefully no one there is a Bank of America customer :eek: ($33 per charge once you're over)

Wow, this is SERIOUS. Most extreme epic fail if there ever was one!! Some of the people cant pay their mortgage and feed their kids now because of the overdraft fees!!! YIKES

If you've EVER played Warhammer Online check your account. Apparently canceled accounts are getting hit too. This is a major deal and Mythic isn't telling anyone about it.

I hope they are lubing up their legal department. Because their pants are about to get sued off. Getting hit with fees like this is enough to make someone loose a car, a job, their credit. Life long damages. I hope the victims get their due diligence.

That's why you should always use a credit or charge card when you subscribe to stuff.

Not that there is any excuse for this, but it's good to take precautions.

Last edited:
While i agree in theory, in reality credit card companies are pretty good about fraudulent charges... It's dealing with bounced checks/overdraft fees that can really ruin your day.

I have to wait till Tuesday to check my bank account

I really should have went this morning but I forgot all about this

too late now!

i'm gonna go swing by my ATMs and check both of my cards to see if they were charged

I might end up getting new debit cards just to be on the safe side

Last edited:
I have to wait till Tuesday to check my bank account

I really should have went this morning but I forgot all about this

too late now!

i'm gonna go swing by my ATMs and check both of my cards to see if they were charged

I might end up getting new debit cards just to be on the safe side

You know you could check it online, or just use one of the automated dial in numbers your bank provides to check your history. Number is usually on the back of your card.

You know you could check it online, or just use one of the automated dial in numbers your bank provides to check your history. Number is usually on the back of your card.

1) Deaf

2) I don't do online banking

3) just stopped by the ATM's, my money's there

whew

Checked my bank account online, nothing crazy from Mythic caused from my cancelled WAR subscription.

Every month I pay for WoW on a CC then immediately cancel my account. When that runs out, I activate again, cancel it. Its been working good since often my account runs out while I am travelling so I don't end up paying for those days :p

Ooh, I love USBank, they called me first before charging me since they thought someone stole my cc. If your bank charges you first before calling you that something's up with your account/debit/cc then you're definitely fucked I suggest you call them or better yet, just drive up there and check how things are.

This is some seriously scary stuff.

Bought closed > open beta and did the head start but thank god I didn't put in a subscription.......or at least I don't think I had to put down my CC but who knows.......

Well I'm glad I bought a prepaid card instead of putting in my CC info. This is why I always avoid using a CC if possible.

Well I don't mind sharing, but I was charged a good $1500 on my account (yes, big ouch). Thankfully I bank with USAA and they quickly reversed and actually gave funds to negate my overcharge (overdraft protection service). In addition, they removed the OD fees. From what I read on the official forums, some are unfortunately affected more on the overdraft fees. Some can't afford the overdraft fees (well duh, they overdraft. lol), that were clearly brought on by mythic's or their vendor's mistake. IMO, someone needs to take responsibility and give some sort of compensation. Could be free months of subscription, etc. Problem is how to tell if someone really is affected drastically by this financial mistake.

This is actually a pretty huge deal and I can imagine there were a lot of people caught in extremely embarrassing situations when they went to pay for things. Credit scores can be effected as well. Simply getting refunded the money is not going to be enough in some cases.

Although I think it's silly that people up and yell "LAWSUIT!" at the slightest provocation, I believe that in this case it will be wholly justified.

Wait I don't get it. I'm pretty sure if you explain everything to your bank (in a civilized way) that they will help you fix what's going on.

The problem being that you shouldnt *need* to call your bank and fix anything. Their system shouldnt have shit the bed so severely.

Shame.. :( Glad I was never interested in the game, and this just guaranteed that I never will be.

Possible new DRM method? Bankrupt your paying and previously paying customers.....profit? That'll keep those pirates out...or something.

Seeing as how this is the SECOND time they've screwed up, and they are dealing with real dollars here and not some imaginary piece of armor. I'd say they need a few lawsuits to remind them that they can't just screw up this royally and go "oops! Call your bank and fix our problems plz thx"

This stuff should have been worked out before the game ever went live, and the first time it happened after going live..it should never happen again. Especially since the game doesn't have anything major being released for it that would seemingly even call for billing changes that could cause new errors. Just another example of how Mythic can't not get their shit straightened out no matter how much time you give them. You deal with cold hard cash, you don't make mistakes and expect other people to pay for them. (Well except if you're too big to fail and stuff)

Thanks OP for the heads up, I gave the link to a friend that had a previously cancelled subscription and he they also billed him as well, but the payments didn't go through (since he denied it)

You guys should see this guy.

http://forums.warhammeronline.com/w...iew=by_date_ascending&message.id=16860#M16860

It's hilarious how they are mad at Mythic when the bank has completely failed them. Call the bank, un authorized and fraudulent charge. Easy.

It looks like some people are having issues getting the overdraft fees refunded. Personally if I had $1000+ taken from my account I'd feel pretty fucking entitled to bitch and moan about it. Given half the moaning on these forums about small aspects of gameplay or graphics.

Creetar guy on that forum is a tool is all I can say definitively about that whole forum post. He seems hell bent on defending Mythic's recurring billing issues by saying that it really should be his bank that prevents them from charging him. But most banks fraud charge divisions go by what you spent money on in the past, so if you got a few years subscription to Warhammer showing up on your card......it's not going to identify them as fraudulent immediately.

Not sure what he expects of the banks on this front, since technically people authorized Mythic to charge their accounts for the service at some point in the past. Mythic's billing error is even going back and using the last charges on old accounts, and resubmitting them. The fact that they even keep your complete CC info on file when you've been gone for over a year when they've had billing problems prior is no good. Should be zeroing out your CC number or make you re-verify the card before charging to it again if you haven't been on a recurring sub.

Count them as any other company, if Newegg suddenly started re-submitting purchases you made 2 years ago for CC processing....people would be flaying them alive especially when some of those purchases could be to the tune of a 10 grand charged multiple times in a period of a day.

Wow. I'm amazingly glad I never signed on to play that game. It's really amazing how many people are defending Mythic and blaming the banks.

I think someone on the forum made a good analogy: "If you get robbed, you generally blame the thief and not the locks." With Mythic being the thief and the banks being the shoddy locks.

Their nonchalance about the whole thing is disgusting, they should be opening a dedicated support line for this so people can get through quickly, taking note of all overdraft fee's and the amount owed, refunding that money IMMEDIATELY.

Then on top of that they should be dealing with compensation, firstly anone effected should have any knock on effects compensated, so any non-bank fee's for late payments should be dealt with without question.

Then on top of repaying for the damages done they should be offering compensation to every effected player in the order of at least 3 months free play time.

Instead of this they email people quite late saying it's occured, but not targeting specific people just every non-EU account it seems. And they ask for the users to basically sort it out themselves. Let me just clarify this has not effected me because I'm in the UK and GOA deal with all the EU guys, but if i was in the US and effected by this to a serious degree (more than a few hundred $) then I wouldn't be on the forums complaining, I'd be on my way to the EAMythic offices with the intention of not leaving until I got my money back.

Still it makes me mad at EAMythic, I'm considering resubbing and while this hasn't effected the UK, I'm kind of tempted not to resub based on their actions in this circumstance, it's totally unacceptable, this is peoples lives you're fucking with here EAMythic

Last edited:
Wow. I'm amazingly glad I never signed on to play that game. It's really amazing how many people are defending Mythic and blaming the banks.

I think someone on the forum made a good analogy: "If you get robbed, you generally blame the thief and not the locks." With Mythic being the thief and the banks being the shoddy locks.

the future of gaming is monthly fees, which is scary, this isn't the first company to do this or have this problem. PERSONLLY i wont pay a monthly fee to play any game. that's just me.

This stuff should have been worked out before the game ever went live, and the first time it happened after going live..it should never happen again.

there were no billing issues before the game went live... no one was paying to beta test ;)

EA/Mythic's explanation was that they switched to a new billing partner. I have been hit, as well as almost everyone in my guild. I am not taking it as hard as most, I don't live check to check and if I did, i wouldn't pay to play an MMO. Either way, the community is pretty upset and people are unsubscribing en masse.

I am not taking it as hard as most, I don't live check to check and if I did, i wouldn't pay to play an MMO.

I love all the cheap shots at people without a lot of money. has it ever occurred to you that a lot of people living check to check pay for MMOs since it is significantly cheaper to be paying $15 a month to play a game compared to buying new games and going out to the movies and such?

Damn. I was thinking about trying this game out, but wow. Thanks for the warning.

I wonder if it'd be possible to play the game using only prepaid time cards without ever providing them any financial info? Still, hard to support them with this sort of nonsense going on.

I love all the cheap shots at people without a lot of money. has it ever occurred to you that a lot of people living check to check pay for MMOs since it is significantly cheaper to be paying $15 a month to play a game compared to buying new games and going out to the movies and such?

Totally, just because someone doesn't have the money to have $1500 drawn out of their account in one hit doesn't mean they somehow shouldn't be playing games.

Totally, just because someone doesn't have the money to have $1500 drawn out of their account in one hit doesn't mean they somehow shouldn't be playing games.

I m not talking about $1500, that was the worst case scenario. More people were charged for 5 subs, not 100x. If $75 means you can't afford baby formula, then maybe you need to look at your life and your spending habits.

And what of the 18-year-old paying out of his/her first checking account ?

Apparently you are supposed to have moved out, purchased a house, gotten married, put 3 kids through college, and have voted Republican before you can play games ?

Back