• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Anyone paint their G5?

General Crespin

2[H]4U
2FA
Joined
Jan 13, 2006
Messages
3,260
I saw the article on the guy that put an LCD screen in his G5 the other day, and he painted it just for the heck of it on the side, I've also seen a couple articles on painting peripherals. That got me thinking, how hard is it to take apart the G5, anyone done it? I've never done anything like this before but it doesn't seem hard (taking apart a mouse and painting it, not installing an LCD screen ;)).

Now I remember, wasn't there a whole article written on how to paint peripherals? Does anyone have a link? Thanks!
 
General rule of thumb is:

Metalic paint shows metal specs under most any light.

Pearl paint shows metal specs under direct sunlight or an extremely bright light. I found this out the hard way when painting my case. I never use my computer outside so it didn't make sense to paint it a pearl color.
 
I did this just today, nothing too ambitious, black vinyl dye. I got a das keyboard as a gift and I decided that an all black mouse would go really well with an all black keyboard.

it's not too hard to get apart, there is a screw behind the sticker next to the laser, two under the rear teflon foot, one in the front foot, on the right side (looking from the bottom).
if you don't want to get new feet to stick on be very careful to peel off the backing, if you don't dig deep enough it'll tear the teflon away from the foam backing, and that sucks, I did it, the foot won't stick back onto the mouse.

I painted the main back piece, the side button and the +/- buttons (I had to cut away at the piece of plastic holding the buttons in (the black part, NOT the gray part. I decided not to do the piece between the left and right buttons because the blacks would not be identical and there will be a subtle two-tone appearance to it.

I'm waiting for the pieces to cure so I can put the mouse back together, I'll post a picture if anyone wants it.
 
Im at work now so i cant post pics but I painted my G5 Metallic Blue and Metallic Black to match my rig. Sexy as hell. But hey, I didn't waste all that paint like everyone else does. One coat of primer, 2 coats of paint, 2 coats of clear coat...:D
 
Back
Top