Anyone own a 3do back in the day?

huxley

Pleeze Maik Mee STFU!!
I had a few of these that my mom won through her work back in the day. I remember how unbelievably bad some of the games were. There were some that were truly awesome though. I have many fond memories of

Road Rash (with a sweet soundtrack!)
Star Control 2 (ya ya i know it was on pc but this version was awesome too)
Return Fire
The Horde (with that kid from Growing Pains as the actor *lol*)
Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo (awesome graphics)

Some of the really really bad ones were

Daedeleous Encounter
Way of the Warrior
...who am I kidding, almost all the games were horrible.

Also, the controllers were heavier than any controller I have ever touched since that day. They must have weighed a good few pounds.

I still have mine at my parents house, along with Road Rash, Return Fire and Alone In The Dark.

I had the Goldstar version, it was a huge mistake not to hold on to it. I "sold" it to a less fortunate friend. I put "sold" in quotation marks just because I basically gave it to him so he could have a console of some sort to play games, as he didn't have any.

I loved Star Control II on 3DO as well, but my favorite game for 3DO was Wing Commander III (I know, another PC game). Road Rash rocked, and I also loved the basketball game that was the home port of "Run 'n' Gun" (I forget the name). There was one other game, although I can't remember what it was. It was by Electronic Arts, and was a alien shooter with FMV between missions that at one point was bundled with the system. The first FIFA and Madden for 3DO I also believed were the first iterations that began shaping those games into what we now play today.

I miss my 3DO.

Ludic said:
I had the Goldstar version, it was a huge mistake not to hold on to it. I "sold" it to a less fortunate friend. I put "sold" in quotation marks just because I basically gave it to him so he could have a console of some sort to play games, as he didn't have any.

I loved Star Control II on 3DO as well, but my favorite game for 3DO was Wing Commander III (I know, another PC game). Road Rash rocked, and I also loved the basketball game that was the home port of "Run 'n' Gun" (I forget the name). There was one other game, although I can't remember what it was. It was by Electronic Arts, and was a alien shooter with FMV between missions that at one point was bundled with the system. The first FIFA and Madden for 3DO I also believed were the first iterations that began shaping those games into what we now play today.

I miss my 3DO.
Yes I had Wing Commander as well, I was just talking about it in another thread but totally forgot!

I had the goldstar version as well. Then my parents house was broken into and it was stolen...then my mom came home with the newer version which was cool. I had the basketball one too I didn't like it. There was also 'burnout' or something where you would race and buy upgrades for your vehicle which was pretty cool.

I think you are talking about Daedeleous Encounter...it was an FMV/puzzle/shooter which I hated. Ya I had FIFA too but don't like soccer. I could never find a copy of Madden for it (yes it was the original and didnt even have a year in the title...just regular John Madden Football).

I found the game, it was called ShockWave, and I spent many hours in front of it.

Ludic said:
I found the game, it was called ShockWave, and I spent many hours in front of it.
That game was hard as heck.

I miss my 3DO....
I played Need For Speed until my fingers bled. I wish that they included that same type of driving environment in some of the latest versions.

Hell yeah, I had the panasonic version. I loved that thing it was so well built as I remember.

I traded mine in for a playstation. The 3D0's graphics were far superior.

Need for Speed was awesome, we used to wheel spin it everywhere and it'd show the gear stick when you changed gears... great game. I spent every cent I earned on that damn thing and sold it for next to nothing. :(

I had one, gave it to a cousin to have, said cousin used the games to skate around the floor with, took the 3DO back, modded the case to a PVR.

Ah yes, the 3DO! The graphics at the time were amazing, I remember. Had WCIII (loved that game), Return Fire, Road Rash (addictive), and Alone in the Dark (remember getting to a point in the game where I made a mistake, and it wouldn't let me continue, and couldn't redo..... oh the frustration!)

Someone mentioned The Horde. That sounds real familiar. Could you describe what it was like/about?

Badger_sly said:
Ah yes, the 3DO! The graphics at the time were amazing, I remember. Had WCIII (loved that game), Return Fire, Road Rash (addictive), and Alone in the Dark (remember getting to a point in the game where I made a mistake, and it wouldn't let me continue, and couldn't redo..... oh the frustration!)

Someone mentioned The Horde. That sounds real familiar. Could you describe what it was like/about?
You had a city and had to protect it by building traps and stuff to stop the horde from eating all your cows and villagers all while running around with a sword and killing them and the cut scenes had Mike from growing pains starring in it.

huxley said:
You had a city and had to protect it by building traps and stuff to stop the horde from eating all your cows and villagers all while running around with a sword and killing them and the cut scenes had Mike from growing pains starring in it.

LOL.... Oh yeah, now I remember...... wow, flashback. That was pretty cool, especially for that time.

PClark99 said:
My favorite was PO'd with the ass aliens running around farting at you!
where you are the chef with the frying pan?

Incredible Machine RULED ALL.

Seriously, I spent the most time with that one.

Tiny said:
Incredible Machine RULED ALL.

Seriously, I spent the most time with that one.
was that where you had a helicopter attached to your back and had the sweet graphics?

I think the one you're referring to with the helicopter attached to the guys back is Blade Force.

I actually have my 3DO (FZ-10 from Panasonic) hooked up right now as I still enjoy to play it occasionally. :D
I like quite a few games on the 3DO, but my favorite would have to be Twisted.

huxley said:
was that where you had a helicopter attached to your back and had the sweet graphics?

Nope.
Release Date: May 7, 1994

Game Description:
Build and solve an array of puzzles that ranges from amusing to tantalizingly tricky. The whole family can take a crack at the 200 puzzles THE INCREDIBLE MACHINE has to offer. The super-size brain-busters range over several screens and are fully animated. Each challenge starts with a goal, like getting someone home. Size up the existing environment and see if you can find a path. If not, use one of the 50+ gizmos at your disposal to build one. Plenty of combinations are possible, but few will succeed. When you're finished, switch to Make a Machine mode and build a puzzle of your own. For one player.

Platform: 3DO

Also Available On:
PC Games

Genre: Puzzle

Special Features:
• 200 puzzles
• Make a Machine mode
• One-player action

Credits:
• Developer: Dynamix
• Publisher: 3DO
• Distributor: Electro Source

Twisted was really fun too.

I loved my 3D0. I have many fond memories of Star Control 2, Road Rash, Return Fire (the concept of the sequel on PC was good, but implementation sucked), Killing Time, and WC3.

I think Return Fire got the most play though - used to crank the surround sound on that one.

3DO rocked until playstation came out. Return fire was a great 2 player and the Horde was cool to see all that FMV. NFS, Fifa, and road rash were also favs...way too expensive i think i paid 400 and something

3DO Kicked ass. Me and my roomates had one back in the day.
Need for speed ( they had to clear the memory to beat my scores.. cheaters )
Street Fighter
Road Rash
And a few other games. Think I still have a controller floating around too :p

the 3DOso many fond memerys
i loved roadrash and shockwave
i remember the demo disk that had an ep of the batman cartoonon it

I never owned one, I just rented it from the video store every once in a while.

I'm now on a mission to find a good one and buy it. Mostly for Return Fire, Star Control 2, and Starblade.

My brother ended up with mine. He still frequently plays that golf game, forget if it was Tiger Woods or who, and uses it as his cd player for his home theatre.

Tiny said:
Nope.

Twisted was really fun too.
Oh my god, the Incredible Machine was my favorite game. Although I never had a 3DO but I did have that game for the computer. I loved it.

I still have my 3DO , great games, then some crappy ones too just with any system. My favorites were Gex. Road Rash, Cyberia, Crash 'n' Burn, Out of This World, and Battlesport. My friend also knew a guy who worked for them so before they abandoned the 3DO console and moved to projects like Meridian 54(53?) I talked to the guy and he sent me about 30 games for free, half were in japanese though. Still cool though. I had a lot of fun with that console.

Has anyone here owned any of the 2 Zelda games that were made for the 3DO? It had nothing to do with Nintendo, since they sold the lisence for a quick buck. Sad way to tarnish the Zelda franchise, but I think most people forgot about that huge mistake. I heard that both games were terrible, it was a crappy game with the Zelda name.

Isaacav2 said:
Has anyone here owned any of the 2 Zelda games that were made for the 3DO? It had nothing to do with Nintendo, since they sold the lisence for a quick buck. Sad way to tarnish the Zelda franchise, but I think most people forgot about that huge mistake. I heard that both games were terrible, it was a crappy game with the Zelda name.

Those were Phillips CD-i games, not 3DO.

Back