Anyone overclock Intel Core i7 920XM?

Aaron_ATX

[H]ard|Gawd
This psudo 8 headed beast resides in my brothers new alienware laptop, and, well who could resist putting the flame to someone elses thousand dollar processor?

Mostly I am curious as to how it differs from the closest desktop i7. I have been overclocking stuff since I got my first digital watch in the late 80's, but i've never actually tried to overclock a laptop specific chunk of silicone....mostly because every laptop i've looked at didnt have options in the bios for it. Anyway, this alienware seemed to, at a brief glance, have the option for it.

Don't need an overclocking tutorial, just wanting to know if anyone has tried this, and if there is anything specific about overclocking a "mobile gaming device" processor. Heh, its waaaay to heavy and hot to call it a "laptop".

As long as you keep it within the voltage specifications and watch the temperatures you should be OK. (It will automatically throttle if it reaches too high of a temp but there are other components in a laptop to worry about, hence my suggestion.)

They should be similar to the Lynnfield family as far as overclocking.

Back