Anyone order Threadripper 2 yet? User feedback is highly valuable.

tangoseal

[H]F Junkie
Has anyone out there in [H] land actually ordered a Threadripper 2 yet? They are in stock at my local Microcenter. I think they have 6 wx series in stock now or did.

I/probably we as a community, are extremely curious, besides but not discounting professional reviews, what your thoughts are about the processor when you get it?

What do you plan to use it for?

What is your gaming experience?

Have you tried Process Lasso Software to circumvent having to reboot via game mode by locking the game application down the CCX that have direct mem access? I had wonderful success doing this on my 1950x.

Are you planning to reinstall your OS clean on Threadripper 2? I failed to do this on my last build and it was a disaster performance wise whilst a clean install was infinitely better.

Anything else you want to add?

1. Placed my order yesterday on amazon but it was out of stock (I am guessing they wont get any more in for 2-3 weeks)

2. Making a heavy virtualization workstation for my homelab and personal projects(I work in tech)

3. Going to run Linux on it with Windows in a VM, so not sure if this is really necessary.

4. Doing a clean install

It's going to be interesting to see how VMs end up running on this thing. I predict it will be amazing.

1. Placed my order yesterday on amazon but it was out of stock (I am guessing they wont get any more in for 2-3 weeks)

2. Making a heavy virtualization workstation for my homelab and personal projects(I work in tech)

3. Going to run Linux on it with Windows in a VM, so not sure if this is really necessary.

4. Doing a clean install

It's going to be interesting to see how VMs end up running on this thing. I predict it will be amazing.

According to what I read the 2990wx is stellar and far superior performing across the board in *nix/Ubuntu/BSD rather than Windows 10. This is why I don't believe that a chip should be judged by just one metric being the OS. As I have read on many review sites, they state something along the lines of .... a very targeted processor, lacking in some places, really great in others.... oh we failed to mention we ONLY tested Windows 10 and literally nothing else. Heck many workstation users are going to end up using *nix or Windows server operating environments for these chips way more than win 10 users, at least that would seem logical. Again my opinion, and not authoritative in any way.

This probably means there is much room for improvement on the optimization side in windows 10 platform for these huge core count processors and the way they use cache.

According to what I read the 2990wx is stellar and far superior performing across the board in *nix/Ubuntu/BSD rather than Windows 10. This is why I don't believe that a chip should be judged by just one metric being the OS. As I have read on many review sites, they state something along the lines of .... a very targeted processor, lacking in some places, really great in others.... oh we failed to mention we ONLY tested Windows 10 and literally nothing else. Heck many workstation users are going to end up using *nix or Windows server operating environments for these chips way more than win 10 users, at least that would seem logical. Again my opinion, and not authoritative in any way.

This probably means there is much room for improvement on the optimization side in windows 10 platform for these huge core count processors and the way they use cache.

That might be true in regards to more people using it with Windows Server or *nix, but it seems like they marketed this to the creative users who are using applications that run (from what I can tell) best on Windows. /shrug

I'm not saying "no" to TR. But at some point, you just gotta say get a multi-socketed Epyc if you need "that much". You know? (and yes, I know TR is cheaper, just saying at some point it's like do I get the Aventador or the Chiron?)

I'm not saying "no" to TR. But at some point, you just gotta say get a multi-socketed Epyc if you need "that much". You know? (and yes, I know TR is cheaper, just saying at some point it's like do I get the Aventador or the Chiron?)

I'm waiting to see what the 24core does. I know it will have the same cache topography as the 32 core but maybe something different will come of it.?

I'm so torn. My local Microcenter has 5 in stock. I already have a NIB Asus ROG Zenith Extreme mobo, NIB Enermax 280 TR4 AIO, NIB EVGA 1300 PSU, NIB 64GB of Corsair 3333 RGB, Samsung 1TB NVME, NIB Gigabyte Vega 64, and NIB Corsair 570X case. Also have a NIB 1950X.

Just need to pull the trigger on the 2990WX. Can't decide if I want to sell it all, or take the 2990 plunge. The Enermax TR4 AIO is probably crap and needs to go. I also have a NIB TT 360 Water 3.0 AIO I could use.

I'd be using it for VR, virtualization, video editing, running various flavors of Linux and Unix, various IT projects.

I'm so torn. My local Microcenter has 5 in stock. I already have a NIB Asus ROG Zenith Extreme mobo, NIB Enermax 280 TR4 AIO, NIB EVGA 1300 PSU, NIB 64GB of Corsair 3333 RGB, Samsung 1TB NVME, NIB Gigabyte Vega 64, and NIB Corsair 570X case. Also have a NIB 1950X.

Just need to pull the trigger on the 2990WX. Can't decide if I want to sell it all, or take the 2990 plunge. The Enermax TR4 AIO is probably crap and needs to go. I also have a NIB TT 360 Water 3.0 AIO I could use.

I'd be using it for VR, virtualization, video editing, running various flavors of Linux and Unix, various IT projects.

I considered driving 3 hours to the nearest microcenter to get one, but decided to just order it from Amazon. It's only $1800 and it sounds like you need all the threads you can get! Do it!

Reactions: jkw
like this

Probably only makes sense if you plan to do all of that at once...

I considered driving 3 hours to the nearest microcenter to get one, but decided to just order it from Amazon. It's only $1800 and it sounds like you need all the threads you can get! Do it!

You've almost talked me into it.

I think I just need a cute girl to tell me she'll come over to my house and use the 2990WX for her webcam job. That would push me over the edge.

You've almost talked me into it.

I think I just need a cute girl to tell me she'll come over to my house and use the 2990WX for her webcam job. That would push me over the edge.

No show, no go, I guess :/

Reactions: jkw
like this
Damnit, Amazon is offering me 24 months with 0% financing on the 2990WX. They know 0% financing is my weakness. I could add a scope and mount for the AR-10 I just built, and maybe a Corsair 1000D case, to my cart, and my life would finally be complete.

Damnit, Amazon is offering me 24 months with 0% financing on the 2990WX. They know 0% financing is my weakness. I could add a scope and mount for the AR-10 I just built, and maybe a Corsair 1000D case, to my cart, and my life would finally be complete.

I told myself only 1 gun per year... AR-15 next year ;)

I told myself only 1 gun per year... AR-15 next year ;)
What if the zombies show up before then? Better get prepared while you can

Im waiting for the 12 core reviews. My 6850k works fine but i need to offload it before its worthless

Man the 2950x looks like the sweet spot. If Craptel doesn't stop the price SUBSTANTIALLY to compete on the i9 7960 and 80xe then I might go that route.

I'm waiting to see what the 24core does. I know it will have the same cache topography as the 32 core but maybe something different will come of it.?

Steve at HU did some simulated tests of the 2970wx using core disabling with. The results were not simply 75% of the 2990wx. It was 80-94% using 3 different tests!

Man the 2950x looks like the sweet spot. If Craptel doesn't stop the price SUBSTANTIALLY to compete on the i9 7960 and 80xe then I might go that route.

I don't expect them to drop pricing. These procs are a niche product and I doubt Intel is worried if AMD takes a little bit of the HEDT market from them.

However, I'm with you in hoping they do because I'd like to buy a 7960 to upgrade my 7820X. I'm not going to hold my breath.

For me the sweet spot would be the new 16 core. Price isn't that much worse than 1st gen and the speed per core / thread is better than the mega threadripper (32 core). While having the mega core CPUs would be nice, I honestly don't have anything that could use it and the stuff I do use / do works better on high clocks vs more threads.

For me the sweet spot would be the new 16 core. Price isn't that much worse than 1st gen and the speed per core / thread is better than the mega threadripper (32 core). While having the mega core CPUs would be nice, I honestly don't have anything that could use it and the stuff I do use / do works better on high clocks vs more threads.
Same here. At worst I run a few VMs but 16 cores gives me the sweet spot of running 4 VMs (I set the VMs with up to 4 cores and 10-16GB memory memory each depending on the Guest OS and what it is being used for) while still being nice and responsive multi tasker on the host.

If I were building a machine for my work, I'd pick up the 32 core Threadripper in a heartbeat; for my purposes Epyc is overkill as I would never need the extra lanes and memory capacity of that platform. For my personal machine I'd go for the 16 core. Before this machine, I had a single core / two thread Pentium 5 chip and figured the current machine would feel snappy for a long time but even now with the undemanding games I play I feel four cores / eight threads to be very limiting.

Damn you, AMD! You're giving me the upgrade itch two years too soon! :mad:

Most people (aka all these "windows creatives") should really be getting the 2950X, its a great bang/$ for HEDT platform keeping in trend with its older brother. The WX are flagship but ultra-niche, EPYC is a more likely to be a better fit for those workloads in general.

Not many realize this but a 7551P and a single socket build are very close in price. Practically identical at 128GB, hell rimms are often cheaper than unbuffered. 256GB possible too unlike TR. Rimms way cheaper if you start comparing tweaker desktop ram kits, personally I go for ecc if the platform can use it (it comes in b-die form too, but without fancy lights, "heatsinks" and "binning"). I actually tried to source the supermicro atx board (H11SSL) early this year but got impatient.

That said, my 2990WX arrives today, should have free time this weekend to swap it in, eventually it will end up in a fun custom loop. Some of this is just hobby fun so not all practical but I do have some interesting side work to load on them.

So far only seen MSI having a refresh board and no thanks for various reasons. If nothing else good shows up I'll leave it in the fatality which is still good (pls kill this cringe branding already asrock) and get another X399M for my spare 1950X and make a mini workstation out of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: N4CR
like this
Most people (aka all these "windows creatives") should really be getting the 2950X, its a great bang/$ for HEDT platform keeping in trend with its older brother. The WX are flagship but ultra-niche, EPYC is a more likely to be a better fit for those workloads in general.

Not many realize this but a 7551P and a single socket build are very close in price. Practically identical at 128GB, hell rimms are often cheaper than unbuffered. 256GB possible too unlike TR. Rimms way cheaper if you start comparing tweaker desktop ram kits, personally I go for ecc if the platform can use it (it comes in b-die form too, but without fancy lights, "heatsinks" and "binning"). I actually tried to source the supermicro atx board (H11SSL) early this year but got impatient.

That said, my 2990WX arrives today, should have free time this weekend to swap it in, eventually it will end up in a fun custom loop. Some of this is just hobby fun so not all practical but I do have some interesting side work to load on them.

So far only seen MSI having a refresh board and no thanks for various reasons. If nothing else good shows up I'll leave it in the fatality which is still good (pls kill this cringe branding already asrock) and get another X399M for my spare 1950X and make a mini workstation out of it.

If you don't mind, when and from where did you order your 2990wx?

Also, care to specify whats up with MSI boards (was looking at them vs Gigabyte)?

I read the [H] review on the 2990WX and saw that the VRM on the MSI board is pretty decent. Theirs broke however and the judge is still out on MSI's verdict of that since we haven't see an update from Kyle & crew. They used the ASUS Zenith Extreme and found its VRM got really toasty. Gigabyte I can't comment on since I haven't seen a review of their latest Aorus offering. I'm personally a little gun-shy with Gigabyte though since I got a bum X399 board from them.

I am really waiting to see the 24 core review. But that 32 looks so sweet. I know windows will update eventually and I can reign in core use with process lasso locking games to 4 or 6 cores on a direct memory access ccx and eliminate the performance anomaly present with the cores sharing cache over infinity fab.

Now just waiting on the Aorus board to be released.

Or I might jump the gun and get a 2950x once thier out.

I don't know why, but I'm dying to see a 2990wx sff build using an x399m. To the point that I've put all the stuff in my Amazon cart...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180815-184954_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20180815-184954_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 0
I'm just waiting for the 2950x to be available for preorder. I had the 2990wx on preorder, but after some reviews, it apparently doesn't give me the speed increases I need on the workloads I do.

I'm just waiting for the 2950x to be available for preorder. I had the 2990wx on preorder, but after some reviews, it apparently doesn't give me the speed increases I need on the workloads I do.

??? In what?

Single threaded? Get an 8700k

Multi threaded? It RAPES everything on Earth? I'm so confused.

That is a nice piece of opinion, but not reality. Most 2990wx/2970wx users will be using Windows.
It would be pretty stupid of them to pay for a CPU they can't use at its fullest at this point and I doubt that people in the need for it are that careless with their money. They are either running specific professional tools on Linux or will use it on Windows once Microsoft decides to do something about their sub par scheduler.

It would be pretty stupid of them to pay for a CPU they can't use at its fullest at this point and I doubt that people in the need for it are that careless with their money. They are either running specific professional tools on Linux or will use it on Windows once Microsoft decides to do something about their sub par scheduler.

And why would they be stupid? The 2990wx still destroys everything in several benchmarks with Windows. Yes, there are shortcomings where Linux is better, but that doesn't mean Linux is free of shortcomings. Not everything is about performance. People are looking for a balance of performance and usability (yes, even 2990wx buyers).

If there is a Linux version of the application, it mostly runs better with 2990wx. Anyway, my original point was that one can't deduce anything useful about 16/24/32 TR2 scaling using Windows because of its lacking scheduler. Well, you can deduce that it's often broken on Windows, but not much about the CPU itself.

We can all deduce that the 2970x will perform at 75% of the 2990x in perfect Linux conditions. We got it.

I was just pointing out possible realities with under more common conditions.

We can all deduce that the 2970x will perform at 75% of the 2990x in perfect Linux conditions. We got it.
I wouldn't, but you feel free.

I was just pointing out possible realities with under more common conditions.
And I've pointed out they are currently broken conditions. As to the commonality, that is debatable.

I wouldn't, but you feel free.

And I've pointed out they are currently broken conditions. As to the commonality, that is debatable.

So let me get this straight - it is not reasonable for you to deduce that the 2970wx will get 75% of performance of the 2990wx using perfect conditions by using math (24/32=.75) nor is it reasonable to deduce that the 2970wx will get closer to 85-90% of the performance due to real world scaling. So where do you stand on this?

This thread was intended for those that bought the chip and could provide useful opinions after using it. But you guys managed to derail this thing into a battle of theoretical arguments.

Back