• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Anyone on here running dual 690 setup?

Eldonwan

n00b
Joined
Sep 11, 2013
Messages
14
ordered rig with dual 690s and everyone says it will have loads of problems but can't turn back now so wondered if anyone could reassure me it will be OK.
 
I'm not sure what the problems are? A single 690 worked fine. It might be bad timing with the 9970 coming in a month, but there's always something new around the corner.

I would have gone with dual 780 classifieds, exchange them if you can.
 
Im getting 2 690s in quad sli which is where the problems lie apparently. Some games are not compatible and there are scaling issues. Cant change them now without paying at least £800 which is not an option but am checking with mastercard to see if I can get full refund but at the mo looks like Im screwed.
 
Yeah scaling is always an issue, however I believe most popular games will scale somewhat. The ones that don't will be a waste and some will hardly benefit. If you don't mind saying why couldn't they be returned? Too bad you didn't ask first, 780 SLI would have been a good alternative.
 
it's ok, no problem, but quad SLI scaling aren't great. should have done more reading before putting 2 grands on graphics card. Not worth it, I would prefer 2 Titans for same price
 
Is this a boutique system purchase?

Seems like you would be able to sell the 690s and move to 780s without taking too much of a hit (if any at all).

Since I don't know what rez you are working with, you could run into a VRAM limit since even with all those GPUs, you only have 2GB to work with. That aside, I'm not sure what you want to play that would have issues with quad sli. What did you read about that caused you this alarm?
 
BTW, I wouldn't worry about it if you're already locked into the purchase. A quad 690 setup will be fine. It's just a little frivolous... The dual 780 would have just been a lot smarter at this point. 2GB is the bottleneck.
 
They said I can't change to 780s because they have already fitted the waterblocks. If I cancel completely they want 20% of total cost or I can change to 780s for about £800. Neither is an option in my mind.

Want to run one screen on 2560x1440. But want to run games at 60fps+.

I asked people on here if there would be issues after reading about quad problems online and they all said get 2-3 780s instead coz tri is much more reliable.

Thanks.
 
Would of been smarter to go with 3 780s for around the same price. At 1440p I don't think you'll have issues. Just bad scaling sometimes. Even in games that don't scale over 4 your fps will be on par usually with a 2-3 680 setup. You'll be happy with it. I think in surround you'd have more issues because of the vram limit. But aa isn't needed much (fxaa if any at all) so vram won't take as much of a hit. Problem is if these new consoles cause vram usage to go up significantly on PC. At which time you'll be really upset to have so much GPU power but not enough vram to use it. They are probably lying to you about the blocks cuz they want to offload those 690s at a high price while they can.
 
At 1440p, the GTX690's will be fine- for now. Just be careful with MSAA or any setting that uses extra memory. Might use a second monitor with on-board video to watch GPU-Z or equivalent for VRAM monitoring, but realistically, only a few games shipped so far are bumping into that limit. It's the ones coming out this fall and beyond that you're going to be worried about, but mostly that'll just mean dialing back the detail settings to stay within the VRAM limit.

If you'd really wanted to future-proof, you'd wait for/trade for/etc. cards with 6GB/GPU or more. Expect cards with double or more RAM than the ones on the market today to be shipping, and that'll be a good time to offload your GTX690s, which are still incredible cards for certain applications, like SFFs/mITX systems and systems trying to hit 120Hz.
 
I was really disappointed with 690 and SLI. Many games dont work with sli and the stuttering and minimum frames are bad, this was at 1440p
 
I was really disappointed with 690 and SLI. Many games dont work with sli and the stuttering and minimum frames are bad, this was at 1440p

The limit to 2GB/GPU on those cards was pretty asinine. Had they had 4GB/GPU and 8GB/card, they'd still be doing pretty well and have a bit longer useful life; might even be useful at 4k.
 
The limit to 2GB/GPU on those cards was pretty asinine. Had they had 4GB/GPU and 8GB/card, they'd still be doing pretty well and have a bit longer useful life; might even be useful at 4k.
Then you wouldn't have to buy their new cards. :D
 
Back
Top