anyone NOT using Service Pack 2?

Warrior

[H]F Junkie
i myself has tryed it a few times and everytime i try it it messes with somehting and makes me mad..i was wondering if anyone was NOT using service pack 2 and have a good reason for it...my reasoning...

if it aint broke dont fix it..and really service pack 2 has been crippling my computer!!...and im glad im not using it.....

I resisted for a very long time, and finally just did it when I built my new box last week. MS is going to start forcing it soon anyway, so I figured I would go for it. I've read all of the horror stories, but on my clean install I have had no problems at all. I did turn off the firewall as well as all of the warnings about virus software and junk to get the tray icon off of my screen. Everything seems fine to me. /shrug

I'm not, the firewall and all the security warnings really annoyed me too, so I just keep SP1 updated instead. I'll probably end up using it on my next install though

the new activeX controls in IE in SP2 and the firewall and antivirus shit..its all STUPID...and if you are turning it off...like we ALL are..you mind as well not even have service pack 2 on....

I install it for two reasons. Reason number one is that SP2's wireless network utility is much cleaner and less bloated than D-Link's. Reason number two is that installing one service pack is much easier and less time-consuming than running Windows Update 10+ times to get all the patches. With Service Pack 2, I can install it, get 90% of all the patches, and then run Windows Update one or two times and be done. Making it leave you alone is easy too, all you have to do is disable the "Security Center" service in Administrative tools. Problem solved.

I haven't taken the plunge yet, mainly because it's like 80MB and I've read about many people having problems.

I use it on my desktop computer with no problems. I can't however use it on my laptop. For some odd reason, after installing SP2, i can no longer see any of my network card icons in the Network Connections Control panel.

sac_tagg said:
I install it for two reasons. Reason number one is that SP2's wireless network utility is much cleaner and less bloated than D-Link's. Reason number two is that installing one service pack is much easier and less time-consuming than running Windows Update 10+ times to get all the patches. With Service Pack 2, I can install it, get 90% of all the patches, and then run Windows Update one or two times and be done. Making it leave you alone is easy too, all you have to do is disable the "Security Center" service in Administrative tools. Problem solved.
you are right about the wireless utility..it is more conveinient...but i have a Windows install disk that has SP1 on it in the install..and i have the WinUpdate Rollup pack that has alot of the updates on it..and then i have about 80% of the updates...

Warrior said:
i have a Windows install disk that has SP1 on it in the install..and i have the WinUpdate Rollup pack that has alot of the updates on it..and then i have about 80% of the updates...
Not as easy as my slipstreamed SP2 disk I made... :p

sac_tagg said:
Not as easy as my slipstreamed SP2 disk I made... :p
i got one too...but until microsoft has me at gun point i wont use it...but remembering the wireless utility almost makes me want to put it on..cause i have a wireless network..and ..would it inporove anything..i connect at 125mbps ( Linksys speedbooster..totaly recomend it :D )

Warrior said:
i got one too...but until microsoft has me at gun point i wont use it...but remembering the wireless utility almost makes me want to put it on..cause i have a wireless network..and ..would it inporove anything..i connect at 125mbps ( Linksys speedbooster..totaly recomend it :D )
Well, it cuts boot time in that you instead of waiting for Windows to load and then the Linksys utility, you only have to wait for Windows to load. I've also found it to be more stable, but that could be becuase I'm still running a crumby 11Mbs 802.11b connection. Try it out and see.

sac_tagg said:
Well, it cuts boot time in that you instead of waiting for Windows to load and then the Linksys utility, you only have to wait for Windows to load. I've also found it to be more stable, but that could be becuase I'm still running a crumby 11Mbs 802.11b connection. Try it out and see.
i have no linksys utility..infact the install disk dosnt boot up..i had to open it up and extract the drivers from the disk..windows automaticly connects to the router on start up..but it does take about 10 after i get to desktop for the internet to be on.. ( steam bitches cause i have no connection :rolleyes: )

Warrior said:
if it aint broke dont fix it....
why don't people learn?

XP pre-SP2 is "broke." SP2 is a critical security fix. It's not an optional upgrade. 95%+ of install issues are because your comp is already screwed up because you've not kept up with patches and virus/spyware scans.

There is no excuse for average Joe Home User to opt out of SP2.

i do 60% of the updates before i connect to the internet.... and when i do..i have my software firewall on and is pertecting me...and i update that first..takes a min and then WinUpdates...i have a great rutein in my installations...and its only after i used SP1 for a long time..then go to SP2 cause i get drunk of something..and install it..then i see alot of problems

lomn75 said:
why don't people learn?

XP pre-SP2 is "broke." SP2 is a critical security fix. It's not an optional upgrade. 95%+ of install issues are because your comp is already screwed up because you've not kept up with patches and virus/spyware scans.

There is no excuse for average Joe Home User to opt out of SP2.

Not everyone needs to update to SP2. After all, some people still have to lag behind in order to give hackers and viruses writers someone to target, right? :rolleyes:

I am amazed everytime I see these threads how dumb some of the responses are, that SPs and updates aren't necessary. It's truly scary the ignorance that abounds on the internet, but then again, I guess that's how AOL stays #1.

Warrior said:
i do 60% of the updates before i connect to the internet.... and when i do..i have my software firewall on and is pertecting me...and i update that first..takes a min and then WinUpdates...i have a great rutein in my installations...and its only after i used SP1 for a long time..then go to SP2 cause i get drunk of something..and install it..then i see alot of problems

It's not a great routine if your skipping vital updates. Your leaving security holes that can be exploited. There's a reason why we in the IT industry refer to these updates as mandatory....it's because we're tired of cleaning up the shit left by ignoramuses who think they can protect themselves without MS updates.

I'm not using sp2 for the simple fact that it keeps my computer from booting, just hangs there...

Sp2 worked just fine on my last build. My new one which was never even connected to the net and has a clean hd, after installing sp2 from a disk, it just ruins my entire system. Won't even restore correctly. Had to wipe the entire computer, and re-try only to get the same results.

Sp2 is just a dog of an update. Hate the thing.

Boogalou said:
I'm not using sp2 for the simple fact that it keeps my computer from booting, just hangs there...

Sp2 worked just fine on my last build. My new one which was never even connected to the net and has a clean hd, after installing sp2 from a disk, it just ruins my entire system. Won't even restore correctly. Had to wipe the entire computer, and re-try only to get the same results.

Sp2 is just a dog of an update. Hate the thing.

So that's your troubleshooting method? To skip a vital update? Wow. If you can't take the time to solve the problem, why not splisptream it in so it's installed right away? It's always the solution in the 8 billion threads created about SP2.

i updated to it without a reformat and it worked fine.. this was after i ran my computer for a good 6 months with sp1.. now i am getting about 10 months into my install and have a few wierd issues... i didn't realize the wireless network thing was only in sp2.. i installed an at&t 108mb wireless card and got it running at 108 with no problems.. my dad has 2000 and had to install the at&t utility which sucks..

i would make a slipstreamed version but i am terrified that i will lose someting by reformatting.. i always do... i will probably just use it as an excuse to build a new computer.. then fix this one after i do that..

I don't have it, not only because I'm worried about it borking my computer, but my schools firewall and virus protection is really quite good. I'm planning on getting it installed when I stop being so cheap, and get another hard drive to copy everything to just in case.

Fezdog192 said:
...my schools firewall and virus protection is really quite good...
Quick security lesson, everybody! Gather 'round!

Every security tool protects against different things. Think of a firewall as a flu shot and a virus scanner as a condom. Along those lines, OS updates are the equivalent of looking before crossing the street.

Presence of any of the above will not protect you from threats to the other(s). Is there some overlap? Sure. A condom, for instance, will protect you from getting STDs in the middle of the street. Is it sufficient overlap? No way.

Next question: Why do I care what you do with your box?
You're inexcusably unprotected box is the spam zombie that's daily flooding my mailbox, and it's pissing me off.

uh..please dont kill my thread...your being very out of line..and i would like it to stop...

Warrior said:
uh..please dont kill my thread...your being very out of line..and i would like it to stop...
Who, me? I'm not flaming, nor hijacking, nor doing anything else malicious.

I'm saying that intentionally running without SP2 is stupid. Furthermore, I'm clarifying that firewalls, etc, are not substitutes for OS patches.

There are well-known, well-documented, near-foolproof methods for installing SP2:
1) Have a clean system when you install SP2.
2) Slipstream and install Windows.
3) Clean Windows install + immediate SP2 install.

Any of the three is vastly preferable to persisting with the use of an increasingly vulnerable box. SP2 rigs have been inherently impervious to several recent outbreaks, and new security fixes will rely upon SP2's installation to function successfully.

Bottom line? Install SP2 immediately. Drop the excuses and get it done.

why is microsoft requireing service pack 1 or 2 now to download updates..why not SP2 if its soo important...?!?

lomn75 said:

I'm saying that intentionally running without SP2 is stupid. Furthermore, I'm clarifying that firewalls, etc, are not substitutes for OS patches.

There are well-known, well-documented, near-foolproof methods for installing SP2:

Any of the three is vastly preferable to persisting with the use of an increasingly vulnerable box. SP2 rigs have been inherently impervious to several recent outbreaks, and new security fixes will rely upon SP2's installation to function successfully.

:confused: :rolleyes: :D
are you sponserd by MS for promoting SP2?
i don´t have and my daily automatic update for virusscanner is a better prevention than this dumb SP2

lomn75 said:

I can't install SP2 because my Prescott + Asus P4C800-E will have the problem of not getting past the Windows loading screen with the blue bar. Its a known issue where the OS reports the wrong microcode and won't boot. Something is a piece of shit somewhere, and I'm pretty sure its Microsoft's or Asus's fault. I would use it if I could, but I can't. No box is impervious to attacks. I've got Anti Vir, MS Anti-spyware, Adaware and ZoneAlarm with a hardware firewall and thats still not impervious by any means, even if it had SP2, the DEP has been overridden already by virus writers, so its now a moot point.

I stick faithfully to service pack 4. :D Never a problem with any of my software!

Have tried install it on two computers one P 3 and one A64 and hell break loose on both after I installed it so I have gave up on SP 2. However it´s like fine on 90 % of the computers so I have been extremely unlucky I guess.

grugar said:
i don´t have and my daily automatic update for virusscanner is a better prevention than this dumb SP2

Could you not get anymore dumber-- I mean, ignorant?

You might as well say I'm sponsored by MS because I too support his say and so does other well known admins and IT tech people around here (not the stupid ones, mind you). Your virus scanner doesn't prevent you from anything else other than viruses. You don't need a form of virus for someone to take over your computer and burn it like it's a piece of crap. If I had to choose one of the two-- AV software or SP2, I'd say SP2. I have ran a computer for 2 years without an AV software and seem to do fine with it but I also had SP2 installed too. I'd say SP2 does a good job. Besides, you have no reason to not update to it, unless you have a pirated OS. :rolleyes:

Edit: I do use an AV now, back off! ;)

-J.

oqvist said:
Have tried install it on two computers one P 3 and one A64 and hell break loose on both after I installed it so I have gave up on SP 2. However it´s like fine on 90 % of the computers so I have been extremely unlucky I guess.

You need to do the following just so it doesn't break out bad:

Iomn75 said:

If it didn't work anyway, then I guess you have an unlucky hardware there that simply refuses to cooperate (might want to try drivers/firmware, etc).

-J.

I have used service pack 2 since the day it came out. Installed it on every machine I serviced, and I've yet to see even one reject it.

The whole "Not Compulsory" thing about sp2 was just to allow corporations time to validate their software suites, and it's about to end anyway.

Another professional IT monkey stating: SP2=Required.

TheExile said:
I'm not, the firewall and all the security warnings really annoyed me too, so I just keep SP1 updated instead. I'll probably end up using it on my next install though

You do realise that those can be turned off/adjusted, right? In the meantime you're wide open to lots of exploits...

I consider it required on the computers I'm in charge of. My performance scores haven't gone down at all, and there isn't anything annoying about SP2 either.
Just set the firewall and virus scan to not be monitored, and set automatic updates to a certain time or too only tell you when there are updates (not to download).

I never undertstood the fuss behind SP2. I installed it on most of my machines the day it came out, and the biggest problem I had was having to reinstall one wireless 2200BG driver on a VAIO V505EX notebook.

grugar said:
I'd love sponsorship. RanmaSao, are you reading this thread? :D But no, I've stated my motivation. Your unpatched zombie box crashes web sites and generates spam.

As for the latter... I've already addressed this. Virus scanning and OS patching are not equivalent. SP2 prevents (not "reacts to," which is how virus scanners work) entire classes of exploits. Attacks come out with the disclaimer "Computers with XP SP2 are not vulnerable."

I won't even go into the problems of "execution of arbitrary code," because it's fairly obvious that you don't want your bubble of ignorance popped.

grugar said:
:confused: :rolleyes: :D

Wow. I've been on the 'net for about 15 years now. I think I've finally run into the dumbest...post...ever.

oqvist said:
I have seen quite a few installs go bad, but 0 on a clean system. Systems that have "issues" with SP2 magically don't when you format/install w/SP2. What does that mean? Something on the system prior to installing SP2 was the cause of the failure.

I don't doubt people have problems with SP2, I just doubt that SP2 is the cause of these issues. If it was, you wouldn't get rid of the problem with a format/reinstall.

Running sans SP2 is akin to dunking your head in the sand.

When MS stops patching SP1, this will become much more painfull for those not upgrading as worms and blended threats will hit them where the sun don't shine. We'll see what bothers them more. SP2 or the new slew of virus.

Personally, I have it running on both of my desktops, and one of my laptops. All installed without issue. My D800 is a different story. Everytime I've tried to install it, it BSOD's during bootup. That's the only time I've seen a BSOD on that laptop. I've been on Dell's site trying to figure out exactly which driver is causing the issue, but I haven't found it yet. I will upgrade to it eventually though, as soon as I can get it to run stable. The bummer is, I use that laptop more than anything else. Oh well, I'll figure it out eventually.

At work, it's mandatory. Every XP machine must have SP2.

ThomasE66 said:
Wow. I've been on the 'net for about 15 years now. I think I've finally run into the dumbest...post...ever.

Are you sure? You might wanna take a look at these two links-- one guy making two consecutive dumbest comments ever and he's 18 (not that age matters, but in this society, people do expect you to "act your age").

http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1027345766&postcount=1
http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1027356182&postcount=25

If only he didn't bother to comment, Grugar would've taken the cake. :)

-J.

Back