Anyone mod a X800 pro yet?

I'v seen on a post on here somewhere today with a link to a French site that had details where you could mod your x800 Pro into an XT.

Agizor said:
I'v seen on a post on here somewhere today with a link to a French site that had details where you could mod your x800 Pro into an XT.

that was probably the softmod. i havent hearcd about any success with this. there's also a hardmod but you're chances of having it work are slim. i'm going to try the hardmod once my card comes in the mail though

The hardmod didn't work for me. The softmod seems like a farce. It's just a hacked file that is copied to your driver installation directory prior to installation. It's copied over and replaces a ATi cab file.

I did just try the conductive pen trick again. I had tried it before. But I did it again.

I am wondering though, do I actually have to flash the BIOS to the XT BIOS and install the XT drivers before the other 4 pipelines show up in ATi Tool? Or should the pipelines show up just after doing the pen trick?

I'd hate to flash the BIOS and go through all that hassel just to find out if it worked. If the other pipes are supposed to show up with the X800Pro BIOS on the card then it didn't work a second time. EVen though I've got the core markings that suggest it should work.

Sir-Fragalot said:
I did just try the conductive pen trick again. I had tried it before. But I did it again.

I am wondering though, do I actually have to flash the BIOS to the XT BIOS and install the XT drivers before the other 4 pipelines show up in ATi Tool? Or should the pipelines show up just after doing the pen trick?

I'd hate to flash the BIOS and go through all that hassel just to find out if it worked. If the other pipes are supposed to show up with the X800Pro BIOS on the card then it didn't work a second time. EVen though I've got the core markings that suggest it should work.
no you don't need to flash the bios, it should just show up in ATItool with no driver uninstall/install

My Visiontek won't mod. I still have the bridges connected as I type this... after I tried it, I didn't feel like removing it and it doesn't seem to do anything so screw it. lol

StArWaRrIoR said:
My Visiontek won't mod. I still have the bridges connected as I type this... after I tried it, I didn't feel like removing it and it doesn't seem to do anything so screw it. lol

Yeah that's about where I am at. Supposedly mine should as it has all the right numbers on the core that correspond to the moddable ones. Yet on my card it didn't work. My bridges are still connected also.

Do any of you have a link to the directions for these mods that you're talking about? I've been searching for that.

i tried and failed..

ati card with .1 too....

but my card temp dropped 5 C to 35@idle with AS5 so its all good...

Is there a realistic chance of destroying your card with one of these hard mods? I will be getting mine soon enough, and I was thinking about it.

By doing the mods that people are using to get the XT PE unlocked, there's really no chance of ruining the card because you're just bridging 2 circuits. Mine didn't work and they're still bridged and it doesn't affect it at all.

The only possible way I see you damaging the card is when you go to put the HSF back on and accidentally crush the core.

theelviscerator said:
i tried and failed..

ati card with .1 too....

but my card temp dropped 5 C to 35@idle with AS5 so its all good...

Mine also had the .1. I had a thought tho. There is a softmod out there that has a hacked driver file for the 4.5Cats. It is supposed to softmod the card. Now I tried it and it didn't work. But I didn't try flashing the X800Pro with the XT's BIOS and then trying out the softmod.

Any bets on if that would work or not?

from what ive read it seems only the sapphire X800 pro cards with the specific model number can be hard-modded.

Sir-Fragalot said:
Mine also had the .1. I had a thought tho. There is a softmod out there that has a hacked driver file for the 4.5Cats. It is supposed to softmod the card. Now I tried it and it didn't work. But I didn't try flashing the X800Pro with the XT's BIOS and then trying out the softmod.

Any bets on if that would work or not?

I am going to hardmod mine alright,,if that XT ever shows up LOL

my friend already wants dibs on this pro....hehe

Ive enabled the extra pipes - done the vgpu mod and stuck a vantec aero flow on my sapphire x800pro. Also flashed to XT. Can bench @ 585/581 now.
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?s=&postid=2680006#post2680006

speeduk-13561.JPG

StArWaRrIoR said:

Ditto, except I didnt do it. I bought my card used, and it was already attempted, and obviously failed. Its a BB ATi card. Im just leaving it alone, as it is working fine.

So, bottom line, it's only the Sapphires that mod?

Too bad, as it looks as if the Visionteks were good OC'ers - and are available for about $330.

speeduk seems to have a nice OC though. :eek:

My Visiontek is a crazy overclocker... I am afraid to go real high, but I haven't hit a ceiling yet. I've ran the core at 600 and the memory at 590 and it runs fine, but I'd hate to burn out the card.

StArWaRrIoR said:
My Visiontek is a crazy overclocker... I am afraid to go real high, but I haven't hit a ceiling yet. I've ran the core at 600 and the memory at 590 and it runs fine, but I'd hate to burn out the card.

I would put a vga silencer on your card then there is no risk of it running too hot. Thats a very nice card you have there!

speeduk said:
I would put a vga silencer on your card then there is no risk of it running too hot. Thats a very nice card you have there!

Will the silencer actually fit the X800Pro?

uclajd said:
So, bottom line, it's only the Sapphires that mod?

Too bad, as it looks as if the Visionteks were good OC'ers - and are available for about $330.

speeduk seems to have a nice OC though. :eek:

where did you find it for $330? :confused:

You guys know if the new catalyst enables the overdrive on the PRO version? Or is it still only available on the xt?

Nano_PC_Solutions said:
You guys know if the new catalyst enables the overdrive on the PRO version? Or is it still only available on the xt?

I have overdrive with the 4.7 betas.

Nano_PC_Solutions said:
Nice. I think I've made my decision to go for the pro, not the xt.

Overdrive is useless. Max oc of 507mhz core. ATItool is loads better.

Well, I suppose the decision I'm making is, are the extra pipes (assuming we'd be doing no modding) worth the money, wait time, etc.?

I suppose that's the reason for going with the pro, because alone, it's still a fantastic card. Plus, when prices drop, it'll be the one that lower of the two. :)

I ordered the Outpost.com x800 pro Visiontek card for $339. If it does not mod to XT, its going on sell on the forums and im going the route of the 6800 GT or x800 XT PE. I think the extra 4 pipes will soon be worth it.

phas3d

"So, bottom line, it's only the Sapphires that mod?"
According to ocuk, various brands worked.. like 9500/9800se mod, it comes down to the gpu so..

Just wondering those who tried and didn't work, did u get 16 pipelines with artifacts? cos if not maybe the mod wasn't done properly. From my exp with 9500s n 9800se, they can all get 8 pipeline enabled with soft/hardmod (even the 128bit ones) but not all worked properly with 8 pipelines.

Chaballaman said:
"So, bottom line, it's only the Sapphires that mod?"
According to ocuk, various brands worked.. like 9500/9800se mod, it comes down to the gpu so..

Just wondering those who tried and didn't work, did u get 16 pipelines with artifacts? cos if not maybe the mod wasn't done properly. From my exp with 9500s n 9800se, they can all get 8 pipeline enabled with soft/hardmod (even the 128bit ones) but not all worked properly with 8 pipelines.

Look man, we have discussed this to death. Its as simple as connecting two points. If it works ATI Tool reports 16 pipes, if not 12. It does nothing to hurt the card.

Reason ppl are of sick these damn questions as we have discussed to death for around a 3 week period in 3 or 4 threads. Really, ppl need to use a search function. :rolleyes:

so u saying that no one ever got 16 pipelines with artifacts? i find that hard to believe..

Who knows, there might be other circuitry on the underside of the BGA package that needs to be hacked. I'm merely speculating, but we won't know for sure until someone kills his X800 and desolders it...There might also be very slight changes on the PCB itself, we won't know until someone gets a hold of a couple of different brands and closely takes a look.

Anyone want to accidentily kill their X800? :D

My Sapphire X800pro got up to 560 on the core... but then it tried to do a vpu recover. And whenever I set it to ANYTHING over 505mhz after 5 minutes it'll do a vpu recover. Did I get a bad card? I got the latest drivers from ati :(

Well from what ive read on different forums sapphire works the best, it seems that they got most of the moddable GPUs, lucky for me i have a sapphire, imma try the mod someday, i dont need those xtra pipelines right now.

A few people have enabled the extra pipes but experienced severe artifacting and polygon errors so there are a few card with faulty pipes.

If your X800 is freezing or vpu recover is messing up try disabling it? If that deosnt work your gpu may only have 1.31v compared to the 1.41v for the XT so probably wont run much over 500mhz if its an average core.

phas3d said:
I ordered the Outpost.com x800 pro Visiontek card for $339. If it does not mod to XT, its going on sell on the forums and im going the route of the 6800 GT or x800 XT PE. I think the extra 4 pipes will soon be worth it.

phas3d

yeah thx i went to outpost and they had it for 329! I bought but its backordered :( should arive soon tho couple weeks at the max (crosses fingers)

and could anybody post a newegg link of a vga silencer that will work with the x800 pro plz :)

"A few people have enabled the extra pipes but experienced severe artifacting and polygon errors so there are a few card with faulty pipes."
Thats more like it.. ones who didn't get extra pipelines probably didn't do it right or it was not possible.. from wat i saw from the pic, it looks very small, so its not going to be easy, harder than 9500 mod or tbird unlockin mod. And maybe later version of the gpu could be half locked (laser cut between bridge, so u'll need to fill it up with superglue, etc) or even superlocked. If joining two bridge enables 16 pipelines then it should work with 16 pipelines after the mod, with or without artifacts.

p.s. looks like their is a laser cut btw the x800pro bridge on one of the close up pic i saw.

what's the chip code on your successfull mods?
I've been hearing that the older chips in the GAxxxx.x range are the only ones achieving 16 pipes and that the newer chips showing up GBxxxx.x don't have the same laser cut and fail to hard mod.

I believe the softmod just enables setting higher core & mem clocks.

Back