Anyone know where to get a 5v USB cable?

Colonel Sanders

Supreme [H]ardness
Just wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction for a USB cable that has ONLY the red/black wires (for +5v/gnd). I want to splice a cable into my TrackClip Pro which only uses USB for power, so its cable just has the red/black wires.

I tried buying a 5v USB charging cable but it had red/black/and white.

Just connect the red/black; should give ~100ma, which is enough for the TrackClip. Other wire should be for setting higher charge current; ignore it and you should be fine.

Or better, get a 4-AAA battery holder from RadioShack and four NiMH AAA batteries, and wire it in directly. Slap a belt clip on it, and you can stop leashing yourself to the computer.

Thanks. I actually bought one of those Duracell rechargeable USB batteries, what I was doing to do was attach that to one side of the headset (using velcro for easy removal) and essentially just shorten the USB cable on the TrackClip and plug it in there. The plus side is it's super easy to recharge, just plug it in to usb, and it also has an on/off switch.

On a related note, what is the best way to splice two tiny USB wires together? Without screwing around with a solder gun if at all possible..

Best way? Solder.
Cheap way? Electrical tape.

Recommended way? Solder.

I put that in the electrical tape category. :eek:
Yeah, but I inevitably pull the taped connection apart, and end up with black adhesive gunk all over my shirt. Thus, I've sworn off electrical tape as a structural member.

Back