Anyone know what this Avast file is?

rezerekted

2[H]4U
I go to the toilet and when I get back to my PC my firewall is notifying me that '94519b49-aef8-4350-8c25-b2f29e1c06b6.exe' wants internet access and was running from the setup folder under Avast parent folder. Gave it temp access but when I go to look for that file there is no such file.

I go to the toilet

Clearly not a security buff :D

The amount of moronic upgrades that free AVs get is hard to follow, but this particular one sounds malwareish. It shouldn't be in the software's root folder.

It disappeared because it might have became active and hid itself. Sorry for not providing specific data, but connecting the drive to a known good system would be a start.

Ran Linux off a bootable USB, ran Process Explorer, RogueKiller, TdssKiller, Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit and a few other tools and I am clean. I think it was perhaps a temp file self updater to Avast is all.

Yeah you definitely hit it hard, if it was anything wrong you'd find something.

I agree about it probably being a temp updater but I haven't seen plenty of occasions where software does that. I was under the impression %appdata% or some other temp place was the usual launchpad.

Sorry for adding to the panic.

Perhaps I will open Avast forum account and ask about it there because it wanting Internet access is a bit weird.

Got another Firewall alert so joined Avast forum and asked about it and they are just emergency update files, also that is an Avast protected folder so no worries. FYI.

I'm glad you don't have to nuke it from orbit.

However that's kind of why I quit using application level firewalls like ZoneAlarm. I found myself kind of guessing some decisions it was presenting to me. I don't want to lookup each and every update server for everything I have running. Really, at one point you will simply agree to infection because you had no way to know. The user isn't supposed to perform heuristics.

I would whine a bit about how there's no such thing as an 'avast protected folder' but all I'd be saying is -once again- resistance is futile :D
However- it's mostly the software in question that fails and infects itself.
In this case, a potential vulnerability in Avast that would allow remote writing to the installation directory by Avast itself is enough of a reason not to even mention the term 'avast protected folder'. Who watches the watchman :p ?

I just use Windows firewall but I have this front end for it called Windows 8 Firewall Control that has its own way of creating rules. If I used just the Window Firewall as is I would never have noticed anything.

On the bright side, I now have about ten more anti-rootkit/malware tools in my tools folder thanks to this Avast updater alert.

The guy at Avast said only Avast can write to that folder.

Back