Anyone know performance stats for Dell SSDs?

Hello all,

Finding the above information is a nightmare. I was going for the Studio XPS 16 with 128GB SSD, but I'd like to know the read/write speeds before I get it. Sales reps are clueless.
Guys on Dell Forums say that they use different manufacturers and so values are different, but sounds like a rubbish excuse to me.
What do you think, possibly I should get the OCZ Vortex SSD myself and install.

I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure that both Apple and Dell use Samsung drives. Vertex is too new and Intel is too expensive, but major vendors can't afford to have sketchy drives with the Micron controller, so most computers that come with a SSD are going to have one of those previous gen Samsungs. Unfortunately, not the new ones with crazy fast speeds. What you're looking at will be the equilvalent of a drive like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233075

Not terrible, not great.

(Not to be a dick, but it's Vertex, not Vortex... I don't know why so many people are getting that name wrong, but I see it all the time now)

Vertex is awesome for the price...it's been very well tested, reviewed, and stressed. the Intels are better but also more expensive. many review sites that know a lot about "real" SSD performance pretty much put the Vertex identical to the Intel is cost/performance. slightly lower perf, slightly lower price.

Guys on Dell Forums say that they use different manufacturers and so values are different, but sounds like a rubbish excuse to me.

They use a number of different brands for regular hard drives, so it wouldn't surprise me if they had multiple "equivalent" SSDs that they used.

If you're not going intel, there is nothing else worth buying other then the corsair drives. Don't buy into the OCZ forum hype, they are inferior to the samsung based Corsair series.

Intel > Corsair (Samsung) > Vertex (Indilinx) > Everything else

What are your needs? Gaming? Just typical tasks?

Unless this is going to be your primary computer, I don't see anything wrong with the 128GB SSD, its going to be leaps and bounds faster than a laptop drive. That SSD to the Intel or Vertex would be like a GTX 260 vs a GTX 285. For typical use, they are more or less the same.

As far as DarkStryke's comments, benchmark-wise the gen 2 Samsung controller to my recollection is slower than the Indilinix controller. There aren't many mentions about Vertex performance issues--I know I have some during certain games, a few posters at the OCZ forums did as well, and there was one mention of Vertex stuttering in the Corsair P256 review online--but its possible that we all had defective drives and never knew it...Realistically I think the only way you can really synthetically test for stutter is to pound it with IOMeter and look at the maximum response time.

Samsung-based Corsair drives (1st gen, 128GB) are inferior to the vertex, and cost $300, which is less than the 120GB Vertex. The 2nd-gen, 256GB drives are about just as good as the Vertex and cost upwards of $650, still less than the 250GB Vertex. The disadvantage in both cases is that the Corsair drives only come in two sizes whereas the OCZ drives come in 30/60GB flavors as well. They are both very reputable companies so it all comes down to how deep your wallet is.

Back