Anyone know of a P67 board with more than 8 internal SATA connectors?

arentol

2[H]4U
I have looked at about 10 boards so far and haven't found any with more than 8 internal Sata connectors. I would really like to have 10 on my next board since I have room for 10 SATA devices in my case and I would like to put as many of my available drives as possible inside my case instead of relying so much on external bays.

So has anyone seen such a beast in any of the reviews or on manufacturers sites?

Or you could just buy an internal sata card.

Yeah I know, but it seems kind of a waste to do so for just 2 more drives. You would think that the big mobo makers would offer increases in available sata connections as one more perk of their higher end boards.... 6 on low end, 8 on mid to mid-high, and 10 or even 12 on high. But apparently that is quite rare.

Oh well.

Motherboard north/south bridges can only accommodate so many sata ports. Vendors have to add additional sata-specific chipsets to their motherboards to handle more sata ports which adds cost and takes up space on the PCB.

Look at it from their perspective, who needs that many sata ports in something that is not a server? These boards aren't server boards. Even in a server you'd want to use something like a 4-in-3 with a sata backplane anyway.

Well there you go. :p

EDIT: Christ, you have to look at that moron's face every time you go into the BIOS? No thanks.

Motherboard north/south bridges can only accommodate so many sata ports. Vendors have to add additional sata-specific chipsets to their motherboards to handle more sata ports which adds cost and takes up space on the PCB.

I know all this. My thinking though is that if you are already adding an extra controller, which you have to do for P67 to get 8 total Sata ports, then why not just add a better controller and get 10 total.

Look at it from their perspective, who needs that many sata ports in something that is not a server? These boards aren't server boards. Even in a server you'd want to use something like a 4-in-3 with a sata backplane anyway.

Interestingly the point you are trying to make can be reversed to show why manufacturers SHOULD all offer at least one board with 10 or 12 Sata ports.... Why should people who want to connect 10 Sata devices have to purchase a full server setup with a sata backplane (a/o a sata controller card). It would actually make perfect sense for manufacturers to offer at least one mobo that covers the middle ground between needing more than 8 sata connections and having to purchase a server or something similar just to get a couple more connectors.

Thanks AthlonXP!

man, even though i'd want to punch that face in bios, I'm wanting the fatal1ty board bad..

Back