anyone know if a passively cooled 6600gt coming out?

calam63

n00b
i know they have a vanilla 6800 made by gigabyte that is passively cooled. anyone know if a 6600gt will be coming out passively cooled? anyone heard anything?

lopoetve said:
Why would you want such a thing?

Coming from someone who is using a Thermaltake FanLess103 and a Thermaltake Giant III with only 2 120mm case fans at 1400rpms....

Its cause the hype about "more fans = better cooling" is a bunch of crap.

My case: www.fotki.com/MeanieMan/

lopoetve said:
Why would you want such a thing?

i want such a thing because i like my silent computer. my computer right now runs completely silent. you can barely even hear anything unless you put your ear to the back.

Very well...

MeanieMan said:
Coming from someone who is using a Thermaltake FanLess103 and a Thermaltake Giant III with only 2 120mm case fans at 1400rpms....

Its cause the hype about "more fans = better cooling" is a bunch of crap.

My case: www.fotki.com/MeanieMan/

It is hardly crap. ;) I can get cooler, cheaper, with fans. More air moving == more heat that can be dissapated. You can match it with efficient cooling, but combine said efficient cooling with more fans and you're cooler still.

So technically, more fans does equate to better cooling, or the possibility of better cooling.

Oh, and I can get the same temps a lot cheaper by not worrying about sound, but that's me. Although I would always like a quiet computer, I can't afford what it would take with 3x 7200 rpm drives, a 6800gt, and a 3000+ 90nm that I will eventually be overclocking.

im sure you could put an aftermarket cooler on it to make it silent like a zalman.. but usualy the chips run hotter then.

Buy gigabyte 6800 then, or water cooling. More silent u wont get. I wouldnt recommend those TT towers though, cos they w8 like a ton (1,3kg) (=

gigabyte offers the 6800GT with the nu's heatpipe cooler, but on the backside has a small fan,

then just remove that fan, place a zalman (or panaflo) over it, blowing down @ 5 or 7v, then it should be fine enough then?

Well. I wouldnt recommend Gigabyte 6800GT, cos of the cooling system, which bassicly sux. I dont know why, but Gigabyte made 2 GT's. 1st one was this http://www.kiberbutler.com/users/jae/slike/gra_gigabyte_geforce6800gt.jpg , 2nd one is this http://www.auspcmarket.com.au/images/info/IMG_VI-GAN68T256DH_18374_0_lrg.jpg .
The fact is, that the cooling system, the one on 2nd pic, is shit. I have 2 friends, got Gigabyte6800GT (2nd one). The graphic wont clock not for even few MHz. Even on forums ppl say, that card wont clock, not even with vmod.

lopoetve said:
Very well...

It is hardly crap. ;) I can get cooler, cheaper, with fans. More air moving == more heat that can be dissapated. You can match it with efficient cooling, but combine said efficient cooling with more fans and you're cooler still.

So technically, more fans does equate to better cooling, or the possibility of better cooling.

Oh, and I can get the same temps a lot cheaper by not worrying about sound, but that's me. Although I would always like a quiet computer, I can't afford what it would take with 3x 7200 rpm drives, a 6800gt, and a 3000+ 90nm that I will eventually be overclocking.

Having to fall back on fans is to me simply considered a lack of creativity. I'm only using 2 120mm case fans (1400 rpms) and I get temps well below what intel suggests and my computer operates just above silent. I didn't say being creative was cheap, but it is better. Internal air moving isn't the only way to dissapate problem heat.

Oh, and I'm using a pentium4 3ghz, 2gb of crucial ram, 2 10,000rpm harddrives, 2 7,200 rpms, and an ATI 9800 pro.

I can get better if not the same cooling using creativity, good cable management, and the knowledge that "more fans=better cooling" is crap; that most cases with double or triple the fan useage.

MeanieMan said:
Having to fall back on fans is to me simply considered a lack of creativity. I'm only using 2 120mm case fans (1400 rpms) and I get temps well below what intel suggests and my computer operates just above silent. I didn't say being creative was cheap, but it is better. Internal air moving isn't the only way to dissapate problem heat.

Oh, and I'm using a pentium4 3ghz, 2gb of crucial ram, 2 10,000rpm harddrives, 2 7,200 rpms, and an ATI 9800 pro.

I can get better if not the same cooling using creativity, good cable management, and the knowledge that "more fans=better cooling" is crap; that most cases with double or triple the fan useage.

How can you say it's better? Isn't that a value judgement? I say cheap >>>> creative, so for me 10 fans for $1 a piece from newegg is far more important than designing a creative solution. Gives me plenty of overclocking headroom too, since with bigger heatsinks later I have the airflow to disappate any heat I could come up with.

Oh, and basic physics: Air moving is the ONLY way you're going to dissapate heat. If you dont have convection and/or fans to move the air, then you're relying on conduction from the air to the case, and that is not only extremely inefficient, but utterly useless in terms of losing heat. You're moving air, internally.

If you doubled your fans, you would be cooler, yes? Then "more fans = better cooling" isn't crap, now is it? ;)

You also aren't overclocking, are you... ? And you're still on a 9800Pro. There isn't a silent solution (other than WC) for the high-end cards.

lopoetve said:
How can you say it's better? Isn't that a value judgement? I say cheap >>>> creative, so for me 10 fans for $1 a piece from newegg is far more important than designing a creative solution. Gives me plenty of overclocking headroom too, since with bigger heatsinks later I have the airflow to disappate any heat I could come up with.

Oh, and basic physics: Air moving is the ONLY way you're going to dissapate heat. If you dont have convection and/or fans to move the air, then you're relying on conduction from the air to the case, and that is not only extremely inefficient, but utterly useless in terms of losing heat. You're moving air, internally.

If you doubled your fans, you would be cooler, yes? Then "more fans = better cooling" isn't crap, now is it? ;)

You also aren't overclocking, are you... ? And you're still on a 9800Pro. There isn't a silent solution (other than WC) for the high-end cards.

I guess it would be a judgement call, I put more stock into thinking about a problem rather then just taking whats the easiest to grab. In this case, just throwing more fans in a case. It really is a much more pleasant experience to sit and read these forums while using a passive heatsink over "10 $1 fans" all spinning at once.

The thing most people don't understand is the uselessness of adding fans. Bumping my fans up to full speed may give me a decrease of a single degree, but thats useless; I don't get a performance increase for all that useless extra noise.
You all are taking my quote literally when you honestly know thats not precisely how its meant, its just the easiest way to sum how people quickly jump to the thought that an extra fan will actually help.
I of course have air moving inside my case, hence the 2 120mm fans, but falling back on using fans as the only way to dissapate heat can actually hurt you. You could end up moving too much air before it is able to become saturated with heat.
You pointed out the problem most people have in believing more fans is better. There is nothing to say that doubling my fans would increase cooling. In fact the added air movement would end up interferring with the air channels I already have in place, causing heat pockets and such. How would that increase my cooling? Plus there is the problem of intake + outtake with the air channels, especially with 10 $1 fans.
I'm on a 9800pro yes, not because of heat but because I'm currently piecing together an SLI system, no reason to work on this system. None the less there are coolers for the high end cards. Gigabyte has a passive 6800, and Arctic Cooling has silent low rpm solutions for all the 6800 cards, even warrantied with Galaxy, same goes for the x800 series with warranties from HIS and Sapphire.
If you had paid attention you would have noticed I use a silent yet non-passive solution on my 9800Pro as well. ;)

Back on the original topic of this thread... yes i bet there will be one... The card is supposed to run pretty cool, I imagine you could use a passive system...

deathBOB said:
Back on the original topic of this thread... yes i bet there will be one... The card is supposed to run pretty cool, I imagine you could use a passive system...

Yeah we did kind of get off topic. :p
The 6600GTs don't have a problem with the heat, just take a look at the tiny heatsink fan combos they use. I think it has more to do with price, adding a passive heatink might start pushing people to look at faster clock speeds for the same price. No doubt there will be an aftermarket solution before long. Companies just need time to use the new hole design on the card.

Yeah, I agree. Cos of eet's 0.11mikro-whatewah, it wont need some supah big fan, such as 6800GT. I could even bet, you could put on Core a little bigger copper thingy, and you would even be able to clock eet.

Gigabyte has the GV-NX66T128VP coming out, 6600gt with heatpipe and overclocked. I want this one for my HTPC. Check out their web site, usa site doesn't show clock speeds but google it and you will find the specs on some foriegn sites.

6600GT overclocked? I think you mean 6600Ultra, which will run @ speeds 600/1100, if im not mistaken (though i think i am..).

SlasherDNA said:
6600GT overclocked? I think you mean 6600Ultra, which will run @ speeds 600/1100, if im not mistaken (though i think i am..).

Giga-byte has a 6600 with a passive heatsink, no heatpipes; as well as a 6600 GT . I wouldn't be suprised if Giga-byte made a GT OC, just like BFG has the OC versions of the 6800, GT, and Ultra.

MeanieMan said:
I guess it would be a judgement call, I put more stock into thinking about a problem rather then just taking whats the easiest to grab. In this case, just throwing more fans in a case. It really is a much more pleasant experience to sit and read these forums while using a passive heatsink over "10 $1 fans" all spinning at once.

The thing most people don't understand is the uselessness of adding fans. Bumping my fans up to full speed may give me a decrease of a single degree, but thats useless; I don't get a performance increase for all that useless extra noise.
You all are taking my quote literally when you honestly know thats not precisely how its meant, its just the easiest way to sum how people quickly jump to the thought that an extra fan will actually help.
I of course have air moving inside my case, hence the 2 120mm fans, but falling back on using fans as the only way to dissapate heat can actually hurt you. You could end up moving too much air before it is able to become saturated with heat.
You pointed out the problem most people have in believing more fans is better. There is nothing to say that doubling my fans would increase cooling. In fact the added air movement would end up interferring with the air channels I already have in place, causing heat pockets and such. How would that increase my cooling? Plus there is the problem of intake + outtake with the air channels, especially with 10 $1 fans.
I'm on a 9800pro yes, not because of heat but because I'm currently piecing together an SLI system, no reason to work on this system. None the less there are coolers for the high end cards. Gigabyte has a passive 6800, and Arctic Cooling has silent low rpm solutions for all the 6800 cards, even warrantied with Galaxy, same goes for the x800 series with warranties from HIS and Sapphire.
If you had paid attention you would have noticed I use a silent yet non-passive solution on my 9800Pro as well. ;)

With a Klipsch 5.1 Promedia Ultra set, I don't notice the fans at all :D

Are you overclocking at all?

And saturating the air isn't necessary. Heat transfer happens either way, efficient or not, and you get the same effect. It's wasted energy since you're moving more air than you have to, but it's cool either way. As for air channels, you can design it to work, just takes a little time and thinking. Not $$ though, which is highly important.

And every cooler you mentioned requires modding a card (on the high end ones, I don't call a 6800NU high end) and thus voiding a warranty. To me, that is NEVER an option. If it doesn't come with it, I don't add it. That is, of course, unless you want to buy it from a very specific place (Galaxy, what?).

Anyway, while silent is nice, I'll take cooler and cheaper over it any time. It just costs too much and requires way too much modding work to get high-end parts quiet. Good luck ever getting SLI working silently, I don't think it'll be possible ;)

lopoetve said:
With a Klipsch 5.1 Promedia Ultra set, I don't notice the fans at all :D

Are you overclocking at all?

And saturating the air isn't necessary. Heat transfer happens either way, efficient or not, and you get the same effect. It's wasted energy since you're moving more air than you have to, but it's cool either way. As for air channels, you can design it to work, just takes a little time and thinking. Not $$ though, which is highly important.

And every cooler you mentioned requires modding a card (on the high end ones, I don't call a 6800NU high end) and thus voiding a warranty. To me, that is NEVER an option. If it doesn't come with it, I don't add it. That is, of course, unless you want to buy it from a very specific place (Galaxy, what?).

Anyway, while silent is nice, I'll take cooler and cheaper over it any time. It just costs too much and requires way too much modding work to get high-end parts quiet. Good luck ever getting SLI working silently, I don't think it'll be possible ;)

Overclocking to void a warranty is ok, but adding a better heatsink isn't?
Giga-byte makes a 6600gt with a passive heatsink, and they work in SLI...

I guess some people like to punk out when it comes to having to think about a problem. I like to get creative.

MeanieMan said:
Overclocking to void a warranty is ok, but adding a better heatsink isn't?
Giga-byte makes a 6600gt with a passive heatsink, and they work in SLI...

I guess some people like to punk out when it comes to having to think about a problem. I like to get creative.

It's a hell of a lot easier to break something pulling a HSF off than it is overclocking a little bit. One is software, one is hardware. ;)

6600GT in sli?!? :wtf: Why bother? 6800GT is the same speed, and cheaper, IIRC.

I get creative about plenty of problems, thanks. I'm a bloody CS major, I have to get creative to get their problems fixed. Creative doesn't have to == $$, but in your case, it does.

I just can't afford to fork out $60 for a HSF, $25 in special cables, $20 in 120mm fans, $50 in a cooler for my video card, etc. That $150+ could easily go to the next CPU or video card upgrade, and I can get the same cooling for $10-$15, if I want, by going with more fans. Quiet is too expensive.

The Gigabyte GV-NX66T128VP is a PCIe card with heatpipe cooling and comes with a 530mhz core, 1120 mhz memory out of the box.

w00t i hope they do - i would love a silent card :) - i lvoe my silent computer! - thx for all the response - i sent them a question (gigabyte) hopefully i willg et a good response soon!

Does anyone know when this card (the passive Gigabyte 6600GT) will be available in the US? I see that it's available on some UK sites but none in the US. I'm planning on building a quiet nForce4 rig in late Jan/early Feb and it would be great if I could have a passive PCI-E graphics card.

Back