Anyone know how to fix Optimus hitching?

Sycraft

Supreme [H]ardness
I got a new laptop (Gigabyte Aero 15) which has a GTX 1060 that uses nVidia Optimus switching. All works well overall, both the iGPU and dGPU function and perform as they should. However it does have an annoying issue that when I launch some things, like a UAC prompt or the task manager it hitches, input stops responding for a second, then continues. Looking at it, this appearts to be an Optimus issue. The dGPU fires up for a sec to see if it should handle it, then goes back down, and while that is happening the system hangs.

Anyone else encountered this and have a fix for it? So far I've not been able to find a way to make it stop.

It has a couple issues, but I like it and I'm going to keep it. Screen quality is very good. The screen is ChiMei's take on IPS so nice viewing angles and all that. It's SmartManager utility comes with a calibration profile that makes the colour accuracy extremely good. Is just software calibration though. Build quality is good so far as I can tell. It is mostly made of metal and everything seems to be put together well. It is very fast. The 1060 is amazing, I can't believe how much speed you can get in a laptop. System is very quiet if you are using it for desktop/media type use. Gets loud if you fire up a game, of course, but no getting around that. Battery life is quite good. Have to adjust settings a bit (since it defaults to high performance mode for whatever reason) but it really can get 8-ish hours if you use it lightly.

The issues I have with it are:

-- The Optimus thing. Not really a big deal, but annoying.
-- Keyboard ghosting. There are a number of key combos that ghost out mostly relating to control + shift + key. Supposedly a new firmware for the keyboard helps, though I can't get it to install.
-- PSU makes noise sometimes. Doesn't under light or heavy load, but some intermediate load it makes noise.

No deal breakers, I likes it and keeps it, but it has some issues.

Back