anyone know how Gbyte dual bios works? (7970oc)

DeFex

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - June 2011
I decided to try flashing the BIOS because i have the first version (F1) and sometimes the fan goes a bit crazy.

anyways, the BIOS update failed for an unknown reason, and then it wouldn't boot.

I cant find much information about graphics card dual BIOS, but from what i know of Gigabyte motherboards, you are supposed to turn the power off, then power back up with the switch left to the "bad" side and it copies the good BIOS over to the bad side.

well that didnt work, so i turned the power off and flipped the switch, so at least i have a good card, but now its only got one BIOS, which i am reluctant to flash until i can fix the other side. (in case it fails again)

I was hoping there might be a utility to copy the BIOS from one chip to the other, but gigabyte seems to not have much information at all.

Has anyone dealt with this kind of thing?

thanks.

download ATIFLASH http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2230/mirrors.php
make a bootable dos disk or usb
copy atiflash to it and the bios you saved.

you can save the working bios using GPU-Z or even the atiflash... with gpu-z is easier.
or you can search for your bios here http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/

boot your PC with the disk or usb (DOS)
Use the working bios to boot.
flip the switch with the computer on (only do this after the computer is on DOS prompt)

use this command:

atiflash -f -p 0 XXXXX.ROM (XXXXX.ROM is the name you saved your bios, probably tahiti.rom)

PS.: if you have onboard video or another graphics card, just boot with one of them and leave your card on the "bad" bios without flipping the switch and follow the steps.

PS2.: the other "side" of the bios is safe... you can not flash even if you try.

Last edited:
Thank you very much! Ill give it a try tonight.

if it's just a fan issue why not set it to manual or create a profile? Easier than borking one of your bios profiles. i've never been a big fan of Bios flashing on Videocards unless you can get like 25% performance improvement.

Back