Anyone know anything about MINI PCI

AMV

Limp Gawd
ok, I have a Toshiba 2410 xxxxxxW9X link
and I am thinking of getting wireless network for it, but not sure if I can or want to get a minipci device..... I was wondering if anyone knows if I can just get any wireless minipci device for it or if I HAVE to get the Toshiba one... it's sells for like 98 euro (only currency I can find it in) anyway that's my question thanks for any help.

I'm sorry, did I miss where it said your notebook has a Mini PCI slot? The specs don't mention it. What it does have is a PC Card slot--scratch that, two of them. There are lots of wireless network cards available for the PC Card/Cardbus interface. I don't have any specific retailers in mind, being from the U.S. and all, but I will tell you that you can put in any wireless card that is PC Card Type II/II or Cardbus compatible. You don't need the Toshiba replacement, necessarily.

yes, I am aware of the PCMCIA slots on the machine... I have used them for wired lan on an old Celery 550 laptop.

The thing I am looking for is described by Toshiba as: "802.11b wireless antenna built-in. Also requires PA3212U-2MPC wireless accessory module for full wireless function"
now when I look at the PA3212U-2MPC vendor description it says mini PCI but it's expensive everywhere I see it, so I was thinking if I could just find like a cheap knock off on the FS/FT thread or even new, then I might go that way

Just use the PCMCIA. It'll be cheaper and you won't have to dig around.

I've seen those before. My old POS Toshiba laptop has a mini pci modem card in it. Although I have to admit that this is the first time that I heard the name "mini pci" mentioned.

As for if you need to buy a Toshiba card, maybe, maybe not. It could be proprietary but then again...

Do yourself a favor and pick up a pcmcia wireless adapter and call it a day.

Not sure if it's of any help to you, but I purchased an Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG MiniPCI card from a guy on ebay and put it in my Dell Inspiron 8500 on saturday, it works just fine. MiniPCI is a standard, so theoretically any MiniPCI card should work in that slot. I've found a retailer here selling the same MiniPCI (the Intel one I bought) cards for £18, which works out to $43 Canadian.

ok guys thanks... I think your right that it might just be easier to grab a PCMCIA card off of tigerdirect.ca

it might just be to much of a hassle to find a Mini PCI that I am sure will fit this machine.... so yeah PCMCIA should be pretty good anyway.... only downside is the antenna in the machine already will go to waste, but that's a small sacrifice.

Back