• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Anyone know about triple buffering?

apcor

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 24, 2005
Messages
455
Just got a 6800gt and I have managed to get things running smooth with help from people here (thanks all). I still have a bit of jerkiness in certain wider areas in doom3. I have done a bit research and I have heard of others getting "texture thrashing" in certain areas, especially when using vsynch. I absolutely must use it to get rid very noticeable tearing and fps does drop in half in those "areas". I have heard triple buffering would eliminate this problem of the fps drop but I have not seen an option for it in the nview desktop or powersrtip. Anyone know of a tool or utility to force it, or where it is hidden in the display options?

thanks
 
yeah..I asked this awhile ago, but didn't get any reasonable answers..
 
I have been reading past posts and it seems there was mad discussion about this but never really any solution except something call nvhardpage which I have used but haven't seen anyhting about triple buffering in there. For the about half the time it runs buttery smooth and then you enter a room the whole screen vibrates/stutters a bit when looking around. Kind of frustrating. If you have any other ideas how to alleviate this I am open to suggestions. 75herts is max for my monitor - locked it and really did not do any good.

thanks
 
As far as I know, there is no triple buffering option on NVIDIA... I've never seen it anyway, not even with Coolbits.
 
Is it just that it is not a useful application or that so few really need it for Nvidia to implement it as an option?

Would like to know how many out there would utilize it (besides myself).
 
jmgak47 said:
Vsync is not bad. Your monitor is the prob. it has a lower refresh rate.

I don't understand your logic... A VSync trying to keep up with a BETTER monitor should have more probs... I mean if you are trying to Vsync to 100hz and your computer cannot create 100fps then you get frame reductions. If your system is only trying to Vsync to 60hz it should have less of a problem, right?
 
J-Mag said:
I don't understand your logic... A VSync trying to keep up with a BETTER monitor should have more probs... I mean if you are trying to Vsync to 100hz and your computer cannot create 100fps then you get frame reductions. If your system is only trying to Vsync to 60hz it should have less of a problem, right?

Not sure - this is beyond my knowledge. My fps is capped at 60. I have the option of 60,70,and 75hz (max)on my monitor. Have tried all refresh rates and all produce the same results. Vsync off I get tearing - very noticeable - vsynch on no tearing but frame rate starts fluxuating from 60 to 30's (sometimes 20's) in certain spots. When the fluxuations occur stuttering becomes visible. Again it only happens in certain places but it is actually frequent (enough to distract about 50% of the time). Other times game is smooth. From what I have been told triple buffering would sort out the frames so they are synched properly and I would not get the radical drops in FPS, but no T-buffering is possible with Nvidia. If you have a better understanding of this or know of a workaround would love to hear it.
 
J-Mag said:
I don't understand your logic... A VSync trying to keep up with a BETTER monitor should have more probs... I mean if you are trying to Vsync to 100hz and your computer cannot create 100fps then you get frame reductions. If your system is only trying to Vsync to 60hz it should have less of a problem, right?

It's the other way around. The the monitor is trying to keep up with the video card. When you turn on vsync it puts a cap on your video card so the fps don't exceed the monitors max fps.
For instance my 6800 GTO gets 110 fps at 1280 x 1024 on Half Life 2 but their is horrid tearing because my monitors max refresh rate at that resolution is 60 Hz which is close to 60 Fps give or take a few fps. So when i turn on Vsync it puts a limiter on the fps in the game. After that I get 59 Fps (because of the fps limiter to 60 fps) in Half Life 2 at 1280 x 1024 and it runs perfect :D. I don't need Vsync in Doom 3 because it comes with a 60 Fps cap right out of the box and it run perfect.

I know what I am saying because when I hooked up a monitor that had a refresh rate of 100 Hz at 1280 x 1024 it ran Half Life 2 great but some tearing when the fps went over 100. So when I turned on Vsync and it ran at 100 Fps perfectly no tearing. So it is not the card but the monitor AND I QUOTE!
 
jmgak47 said:
It's the other way around. The the monitor is trying to keep up with the video card. When you turn on vsync it puts a cap on your video card so the fps don't exceed the monitors max fps.
For instance my 6800 GTO gets 110 fps at 1280 x 1024 on Half Life 2 but their is horrid tearing because my monitors max refresh rate at that resolution is 60 Hz which is close to 60 Fps give or take a few fps. So when i turn on Vsync it puts a limiter on the fps in the game. After that I get 59 Fps (because of the fps limiter to 60 fps) in Half Life 2 at 1280 x 1024 and it runs perfect :D. I don't need Vsync in Doom 3 because it comes with a 60 Fps cap right out of the box and it run perfect.

I know what I am saying because when I hooked up a monitor that had a refresh rate of 100 Hz at 1280 x 1024 it ran Half Life 2 great but some tearing when the fps went over 100. So when I turned on Vsync and it ran at 100 Fps perfectly no tearing. So it is not the card but the monitor AND I QUOTE!

what ur saying is true in some situations....BUT we all know vsync caps the fps with the monitor..but in this case..which happens to me too..when playing HL2..in some of the really stressing parts..the fps for example is capped at 60 for the 60hz of refreshrate..when that stressing part of the game comes..the fps is cut in half...alll the way down to 30...triple buffering should help the fps drop when this happens
 
o sorry hehe but yeah..that's the situation

o yeah and i forgot...i dont think you need to turn on vsync for doom3..the default refresh rate for the game is at 60...so if your monitor supports a higher refreshrate..there is a console command top change that rate..
 
jmgak47 said:
It's the other way around. The the monitor is trying to keep up with the video card. When you turn on vsync it puts a cap on your video card so the fps don't exceed the monitors max fps.
For instance my 6800 GTO gets 110 fps at 1280 x 1024 on Half Life 2 but their is horrid tearing because my monitors max refresh rate at that resolution is 60 Hz which is close to 60 Fps give or take a few fps. So when i turn on Vsync it puts a limiter on the fps in the game. After that I get 59 Fps (because of the fps limiter to 60 fps) in Half Life 2 at 1280 x 1024 and it runs perfect :D. I don't need Vsync in Doom 3 because it comes with a 60 Fps cap right out of the box and it run perfect.

I know what I am saying because when I hooked up a monitor that had a refresh rate of 100 Hz at 1280 x 1024 it ran Half Life 2 great but some tearing when the fps went over 100. So when I turned on Vsync and it ran at 100 Fps perfectly no tearing. So it is not the card but the monitor AND I QUOTE!

If that is the case how do you explain the fact that I have tearing when my refresh rate is 60hz and my fps in doom is 60. You can say i have a crappy monitor if you can explain why it is crappy- lol. Or do you know of a way I can work around this prob? I have tried so many different combinations tweaks and settings, I dont know which way is up. By the way I dont have this problem at all in HL2
 
apcor said:
If that is the case how do you explain the fact that I have tearing when my refresh rate is 60hz and my fps in doom is 60.

If vsync is off, then there is no guarantee that the videocard and the monitor start drawing at the same time, so even if they run at the exact same refresh-rate, there could be tearing. The tearing would just always be at the exact same spot.
 
Scali said:
If vsync is off, then there is no guarantee that the videocard and the monitor start drawing at the same time, so even if they run at the exact same refresh-rate, there could be tearing. The tearing would just always be at the exact same spot.

If that is the case I guess i am SOL it seems the only logical choices I have are:

Live with a little stuttering in Doom3

Get an ATI video card - so i can use Triple buffering

Get a new monitor

Hope some tech genius has a workaround and kindly drops a post


Option 2 is starting to look appealing
 
Here is a few sugestions
1. Try the 66.93 Nvidia Driver.
2. Go into the Display Property's to enable Vsync ( I had when trouble just enabled Vsync in the game video propertys some times it sets the vsync wrong) Don't think I am crazy because it happened to me in Far Cry, I enable Vsync in the game propertys all it did was make the tearing worse. So after enabling Vsync under the Display Propertys it runs great. Try it because it may fix it because it did for me.

Hope it helps :) because i know how it is to have a game you want to play acting up.( For a month Far Cry acted up with me till i did what i told u)
 
jmgak47 said:
Here is a few sugestions
1. Try the 66.93 Nvidia Driver.
2. Go into the Display Property's to enable Vsync ( I had when trouble just enabled Vsync in the game video propertys some times it sets the vsync wrong) Don't think I am crazy because it happened to me in Far Cry, I enable Vsync in the game propertys all it did was make the tearing worse. So after enabling Vsync under the Display Propertys it runs great. Try it because it may fix it because it did for me.

Hope it helps :) because i know how it is to have a game you want to play acting up.( For a month Far Cry acted up with me till i did what i told u)

Thanks for the help but tried 66.93's, and my problem is not tearing - vsynch works just fine, its is the stuttering I get when FPS drops in certain spots when vsynch is enabled.
 
Feel the Pain but don't know what it could be that would help. I will ask a few friends and see if they know what would help.
 
Back
Top